Donnie and Modesta 2018 - Mexico, Central America and Beyond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dwj - Donnie, Dec 24, 2017.

1. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Two years ago today we lost our friends. They are not forgotten.
    Donnie’s daughter posted this on Facebook yesterday.

Two years ago just a few minutes from now, I received the most devastating phone call. My Daddy was gone. Madison’s Papaw was gone. A brother, uncle, cousin, nephew, stepfather, friend...gone. My stepmother was gone. Maddy’s abuela, a mother, sister, aunt, cousin, niece, friend, and biological grandmother-to-be...gone.
    They were taken from us by a truck driver apparently paying more attention to his passenger than to the road on which he was driving that afternoon in Honduras. Not a day goes by that I don’t wonder if he has any idea the pain he has caused us. He got nothing more than a slap on the wrist for killing our parents. We got a lifetime of hurt that nothing can soothe. I wonder if it ever crosses his mind how we have felt and continue to feel every day since he took them from us.
    I know that they watch over us, but I can’t help but to wish that we still had them here with us in the flesh.
    My world is a very lonely place without them. I miss them more than I ever thought possible. I have a brother and sister who speak another language in another country which feels like a world away. We can’t be together to comfort one another, and that’s another hurt.
    Giovanni Ontiveros Mazon and Itzayane Ontiveros, I love you and wish we could be together. I miss my Daddy and your Mother terribly.
    Cherish every moment you have with the people you love. You never know when they may be taken.

We miss them.
  2. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m a Canadian truck driver ( retired). Have no idea of the circumstances that lead to the mistakes this truck driver made that lead to this terrible event. From my own experience which was 25 years of wandering Canada and all 48 states for a total of 3,000,000 miles. When it goes wrong in a big truck, it all happens very fast. Much faster than in a car. If a truck driver does not act in second 1 it’s to late. So much size, weight, and H.P. that instant action is needed to avoid a crash. As you say, driver was distracted by a passenger, then that likely reason for this to happen. This is one of the reasons that some Canadian and American transport co.will not allow even a spouse as a passenger. During my 25 years I had many close head on situations. 3 that where inches close, all 3 where totally orther drivers fault. The people in those 3 vehicles are alive because I reacted instantly in all 3 cases. As we all know head on with big trucks that are loaded mean it ends very badly. It’s so very sad that your mom and dad are gone because the wrong truck driver was driving that truck. A better truck driver, well it likely be better ending. Everybody thats on ADV RIDER is here because we simply love motorcycles and all they are. That by itself makes quite sad as I one finger type this, but being a retired truck driver makes it worse. I,m in the far N.E. of Canada and if there’s anything I can do in the future for you Maddy or any orther family members let me know. I’ll end with my e mail. Petepilot ( Merlin). merlinjay7@gmail.com
    1Man2Wheels, MaNDan and SoPaRider like this.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    :(

Donnie's final image to ADV

798ad07176ebd0cdf5246f029ac39514.jpg
  4. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_1841.jpg

We are in Iguala today and in memory of our friends Donnie and Modesta we had dinner at our favorite restaurant that they took us to several years ago.
    Gone but not forgotten. RIP. WE miss you.
    camgregus, Cal, 95Monster and 10 others like this.
  5. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were in Iguala on Friday, our thoughts were with them also.
    swimmer, SkizzMan, 95Monster and 3 others like this.
  6. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    I still think of them often.
    My trip remains in my present thoughts and Donnie is always among my memories
    ScotsFire, swimmer, simmons1 and 5 others like this.
  7. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We left Iguala Friday morning. Spent the night in CDMX we are in Zacatecas now. Traveling in the cage.
    Grynch and SkizzMan like this.
  8. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the name of the restaurant in Iguala? ( Flora Something?) On our next trip to Taxco we will stop there to eat. Thanks.
  9. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    The one we went to on the east side of the lake was Quinta “Los Girasoles”. Great place.
    F70E2677-596E-4B56-BCAE-D353570D8A42.jpeg
  10. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks