Don't believe PIAA

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Marc, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, they'll tell you 910's can only be mounted hanging down with the bolt up. Wrong. All you have to do is open 'em up (two Phillips screws, one on each side). Don't take 'em all the way out, or else the backside bracket will fall off. Separate the front half of the light from the back half. Pull the rubber gasket that sits between the halves off and rotate it 180 degrees so that the drain cutout is at the new bottom side of the lamp. Rotate the rubber drain plug (where the wires come out) 180 degrees so it'll wind up pointing down and also and be careful not to wind up the internal wires in the process.

Put the whole thing together and you've got a 910 that can work upside down. I couldn't get the glass off the front, so the PIAA glass imprint is still upside down, but it works great.

The 959's are another story altogether. There's a bunch of funky optic stuff in there that was resistant to my efforts. Now those lights have to stay as you bought 'em.

Somebody out there successfully re-work a set of 959's?

Marc
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Marc, I just opened one of my 959s and it looks like you might be able to do it. More complicated than the 910s, because of a metal plate screwed to the lens assy that blocks off the lower half of the lens, which gives the lamp it's nice sharp flat cutoff. The lens itself looks to be hemispherical, or symetrical but I didn't look at it that closely. So it appears that you could turn that blocking plate around 180 degrees...it's mounted to the lens assy with two phillips head screws. The interesting thing about the lens on the 959 is that it acts like the lens on your eye, which is to say it flops the image 180 degrees. The bottom half of the lens is blocked by the plate, but since the lens flops the image, the illumination is on the road and not up into the fog. It's a very cool design.

[​IMG]

Note that in this image, the posts are up, but on my bike (and also on the diagram on the PIAA site) the post is pointing down. So I guess it can be done.

[​IMG]
  3. pbansen

pbansen Hosehead

Oddometer:
    Marc wrote:
    > Put the whole thing together and you've got a 910 that can work upside down. I couldn't get the glass off the front, so the PIAA glass imprint is still upside down, but it works great.

There's gotta be a way to get the glass off, since I have a pair of 910's mounted upright (bolt down) and the imprint on the lens is upright.

The 910's are excellent lights, by the way. Big, rectangular pattern and some serious candlepower. Flip those bad boys on and you can see WAY down the road. Fantastic for riding in Nevada, but you could definitely piss people off in Zoo Jersey...

Pete Bansen
    Truckee, California