1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Don't bring your cooking Gear it's Stupid A trip till food runs out?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dirtpatch, Oct 17, 2020.

1. thadf

thadf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    aaaaannnnddd........here we go!! And here I thought I was the only one...
  2. MongoLikeCandy

MongoLikeCandy Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the process update....but want to see pix of the food.....you know....chicken soup in the container, breakfast.....love food pix!....also landscape/scenic pix without yer moto in it? then it didn't happen!!! no proof!!! you need the bike pic, otherwise weren't there! Deep State Touring!!! so show us the bike man!!!
  3. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    Camped for free in Pennsylvania last night. I’ll have a picture and location when I get better cell service.
    Temps yesterday were from the low of 41-64 when we were riding. Never turned my heated vest on however I’m going to use it today at the same temps. Just had summer gloves on and thumb and pointy finger got to chilly.

so the food thing is working out so far because of what I prepared before I left. I still argue that it’s stupid because 15 miles before we camped in this rural setting there was a great town to pick up something.

Flatlander likes to camp in real primitive places. Plus all we did is ride now to get to this place. We just stopped for fuel and in that park for lunch.
    He is a great riding partner though and I just follow him now and listen to music and look at the scenery as it goes by in a happy place on my bike.

I used to lead and plan trips with my brothers and others and be able to look at a tank bag map going along at highway speeds on scenic roads and never miss a turn. Stems from my scanning ability as a professional pilot. Now that eyesight is going. It is so much easier to follow the blue line.

Tip number one to all you experts. We put in the coordinates to where we wanted to be in google maps chose avoid highways and the route was fantastic here. Avoided much of the bigger towns and big smaller towns In the crowded northeast.

screw base camp and all that planning when it picks a great route in seconds.

Roads were great and it even put us on a short section of dirt road that a corvette could drive on.

Now even though this trip is so far is 99.9 % road riding my bike has done the ALL OF THE MABDR and section 2&3 of the NEBDR including the tough sections. I did choose to do the Vermont sections with my WR250R which was the smart thing to do since those class 4 roads are fun on a little bike and a pain in a big bike.

Plus I didn’t carry any cooking gear or camping gear on those sections.

light bike is nice and the Gs is heavy especially when you add to it with cooking gear and food
    TonyKZ1, scudo, Amphib and 1 other person like this.
  4. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    A0713B65-BBF7-44F8-A734-D25BEDE1E8E2.jpeg My heavy bike with chips in salsa in wife’s shopping bag plus some apples and cans of soda for the 151 proof rum I bring.
  5. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    1200gsa packing With out food this is what I pack in all those little bags hanging off my bike.

Right front Givi crash bar bag. Frog tog jacket pant rain cover. Bivy space blanket. Survival reflect tent

Right touratech bag.

Bike cover

Right bell bag. Funnel. Sawyer water filter & plunger. Gas siphon hose and pump,cable lock and master lock mechanic gloves,tire pluggers, gorilla tape. Super glue. Blue thread lock

Right zeFal bag.oil drain plug uAllen, Spark plug tool and socket ,front axle tool, rim saver ,4 BMW tie down, 2 handle bar tie down,tire valve and tps

Alt rider Tool box,

gs 911 wifi, gps case with power cord for Sena, zip ties, mechanic gloves, torques multi tool Stockton Allen tool.

Jumper cables and jumper battery, 17mm socket and spark plug socket. Small torques with multi tool and torque and Allen hand tools tire patches zip ties assorted screws toothbrush for cleaning bead breaker kit with tire irons extra din usb plug

Left bell bag Moto air pump, seat cover,rag mechanics glove.

Left front Givi crash bar bag

. First aid kit, poncho,parachord.

Left touratech bag.

Handlebar tie downs.

Clothes

Back license box

electrical tape,j b weld,solder gun , fuses , tire cement, lighter

Tank bag. ,

rain hat and mosquito head net ,ba clava. umbrella, sweet cheeks,night stick, rain gloves. Map streak free cloth, helix bottle, heated vest & controller, side tank bag. Glasses. Tire gauge. Lighter. Sun screen. Super glue. Pen. Note pad.

Right side tank bag. Super glue. Duct tape wine opener. Beer opener flash light. Plexiglass cleaner. Ear plugs. Razor knife.

Back tank bag. Micro fiber towels. Wallet

Under Stockton tool sets vice grips bead breaker &

tire irons zip ties , helix manuals Allen wrench.

Touratech left Panniers bag

Pants, long thermal underwear, tshirt micro fiber, micro fiber long sleeve shirt, small first aid Tylenol pills

Touratech right Panniers bag

Bike cover, short sleeve micro shirt, underwear &socks, cold compress, baby powder, sun block

Yes Left Givi 50L maxia Tent. Helionox chair. Neo air mattress enclosed in thermorest chair with pump. Pillow. Sheet. Blanket. 30 degree down bag. Sven saw. Sea to summit shower. Portable bucket. Hatchet. Table. Little soft cooler. 31 lbs including case.
    N-Id-Jim and MidlifePanic like this.
  6. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    0B868466-7A68-416A-9C21-CF1EBF034420.jpeg Breakfast took me a half hour to cook and cleanup after I was all packed.
    C5042EB3-74E9-4BBC-85C7-362B138A98ED.jpeg
    TonyKZ1, N-Id-Jim and Ginger Beard like this.
  7. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    This is what’s in my tent in the rolled up mesh bag is my thermorest mattress that has a thermorest lounger chair that makes it a chair and protects the mattress. Plus sleeping bag pillow blue thing and sheet the bag for the tent is draping over door EFCA222B-7DC4-42EE-A85B-E7A2DDC80FE0.jpeg
    TonyKZ1, N-Id-Jim and MongoLikeCandy like this.
  8. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    26AA9162-1167-465D-9445-EB0A38151363.jpeg 26AA9162-1167-465D-9445-EB0A38151363.jpeg 26AA9162-1167-465D-9445-EB0A38151363.jpeg C6CBA20F-9A90-49D1-8E78-4A8DD387D003.jpeg 26AA9162-1167-465D-9445-EB0A38151363.jpeg C6CBA20F-9A90-49D1-8E78-4A8DD387D003.jpeg Hammered. It’s 1130. Drinking the 151 rum telling stories at the campfire Bill flatlander and I. We are at wilillville at meadows of the Dan off of the blue ridge park way in Virginia.

mom for a update on cooking food here gpes 26AA9162-1167-465D-9445-EB0A38151363.jpeg C6CBA20F-9A90-49D1-8E78-4A8DD387D003.jpeg C6CBA20F-9A90-49D1-8E78-4A8DD387D003.jpeg

Attached Files:

N-Id-Jim likes this.
  9. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    I fucked upon my pictures because I’ve been drinking. Not driving.

the salmon and the salad was great with the ceased salad
    So far stats 358 miles today 13.86 in gas $15in camping food is zero since I stole all the food out of my refrigerator.
    Uploading pictures of my hammered ness of my binge drinking at willville at meadows of the Dan va. Do really need pictures of the blue ridge park way while I’m riding. Everyone has been there.

9D5A1B2A-A8F1-4361-8600-682C06D1C233.jpeg 8A6BE221-8C9B-40E2-8B43-85322EFCECBE.jpeg 9D5A1B2A-A8F1-4361-8600-682C06D1C233.jpeg 8A6BE221-8C9B-40E2-8B43-85322EFCECBE.jpeg

Attached Files:

Lost-Again, Amphib and Ginger Beard like this.
  10. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    Cooking was easy tonight. Put salmon in foil while fire was going made salad. Eat salmon with lemon after salad Easy clean up. So far this bull shit cooking is working out during the pandemic. Maybe I’ll change my tune. Bike is so heavy though.
    yokesman, Amphib and Ginger Beard like this.
  11. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    Good night. Sorry about the repeat picture. I’ve been drinking.
  12. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    Ginger Beard and Amphib like this.
  13. jjr66

jjr66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From what I can tell there are 4 different photos posted 43 times, but who’s counting. Where’s Mongo at a time like this? :rofl
  14. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    If any post has ever perfectly described an evening at camp, it was these. :lol3 :freaky
    tlub, Gedrog, RedDogAlberta and 2 others like this.
  15. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    Up early and what a night last night was. Got to tell Bill who looks like a Harley rider but drives a vstrom my macho man story about why I have had 4 ball operations. It’s a good one. 3 of us around the campfire.
    Bill didn’t stay up late enough to hear my creature from politio’s story which is penthouse forum material but since flatlander already knows it I don’t repeat my stories like I do pictures of my food.

Yesterday was 354 miles and since flatlander is an engineer he planned our stop in PA at the halfway mark. This was the PA free camping site in a Pa forest government owned C6604FD3-C9AB-43C7-A5D3-7067E970CC9D.jpeg
    TonyKZ1, N-Id-Jim, scudo and 2 others like this.
  16. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    Last night I told flatlander I probably will leave him to head down to South Carolina to visit my cousin who use to ride he looks like a Harley rider and owned one 40 years ago. I haven’t seen him since he left upstate ny 2 years ago.

Expert tip if you ride in weather that varies from a low of 34 to a high of 60 ice frozen in water bottles in a cool cat bag in your top box will stay frozen and can be used to cool your drink without buying ice. Saved two bucks with that ingenious thought before I got hammered last night Make sure you bring your heated gear when riding in those temps because it’s pure bliss as you turn up the heat FD29AAAF-E1D2-4A31-909D-1F09761BB4F6.jpeg
  17. MongoLikeCandy

MongoLikeCandy Long timer

Oddometer:
    loved the same 15 blurry food pix.

how did flatlander take it when you told him you were leaving him?

did it trigger his abandonment issues?

Also was he trying to manage your drinking? if so how?
    are his alanon issues popping up or is his program rock solid as he watched you stumble drunkenly and face plant into that amazing one log fire?

I want pix of the juicy, messy drunken humanity bits please.

thanks for the token GS pic.
    Sonny S. likes this.
  18. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    Flatlander took it well he is on a time schedule. I still have food left so until it runs out I’m riding.
    As far as my hammered ness he talks like a pirate most nights when we camp. He gets arrgghhhed and puts me to shame.

My brother wussyboy counts my drinks when we go together so I try to make sure his fingers get a workout to piss him off because if I see him drink 5 drinks a year it’s a lot.

By the way I only drink when I have friends over or camping so I can tell my stories to others so they can make fun of me as they get to know me.
  19. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    Camped at meadows of dan Virginia at willville motorcycle campground. Been here twice before it’s a great place. Picture of Bill and flatlander looking at his vstrom. I had the same breakfast as yesterday and you know me I don’t like to repeat pictures so you’ll have to look at my first breakfast.

Easy clean up however late start and I guess I’ll head down to around Anderson SC to visit my cousin. E1515EBA-F867-4107-8A25-DBC886B4531D.jpeg B42DFBDE-EBC8-4F51-AC7F-2753714A1B89.jpeg
    N-Id-Jim, adixxon, Gedrog and 4 others like this.
  20. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    I’m at my cousins water bottles were still frozen in my cooler. Cooked salmon again on a stove in an apartment my cousin is at.
    Still have lots of food left so I am going to visit him for a couple of days then trip will continue.

since I was alone I was able to stop when I wanted saw this museum. 939BF12D-A406-4BE2-8059-9A5D42F26EAF.jpeg 032F010B-A4F7-4106-9EB1-E68E4F1640B7.jpeg 5558211D-C8A4-44FD-882A-A47FE8642204.jpeg
    TonyKZ1 and N-Id-Jim like this.