Don't Buy Modulators From Kriss Industries

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Firedawg450, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Firedawg450

Firedawg450 Why did I wait??

Oddometer:
    Just a word of warning to anyone who thinks adding a modulator to their headlight, brake light or signal/running light. A malfunction, as happened to me, will place you in a very hazardous situation. Communicating your intentions to cage drivers is paramount to your safety. When you find yourself is low-visibility, on a highway and your signal and brakes suddenly start sending out confusing signals to everyone behind you, you are in more DANGER than you would have been had you been driving with unmodified electrics.
    KRISS WILL NOT RETURN E-MAIL OR ANSWER PHONE CALLS!!! (CORRECTION: it took two months, but they called me back about an hour after I posted) Returns without an authorization number will be discarded, but there is no way to request an authorization without being actually speaking to them. The phone number listed is a cell that is never on - or at least not when I have called. Their answering service has been shut down - they explained that they felt it was a waste of money.
  2. FlowBee

FlowBee Just me.

Oddometer:
    You mean these people?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left colSpan=2>Kriss Industries

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left width="100%">Address:
    2030 N Forbes Blvd
    Tucson AZ 85745
    US
    Phone: +1 520 629 8800
    Email: krissindustries@earthlink.net
    Tags:
    vehicles parts accessories lights electrics

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

They answered "Kriss Industries" on the third ring.

:dunno
  3. Bike-N-Hike

Bike-N-Hike 60 y/o, Gear Junkie

Oddometer:
    Hi...I purchased a headlight modulator from Kriss and have had no problems since installing them a couple of seasons ago. With that said, I too recognized that customer service was lacking, enough so that I started a thread about it. I noticed you added a reply to it.

What bike did you install the modulator on? Another modulator company had a disclaimer on using their product on some BMW's models when I was looking into buying one 3 years ago. I think the wig-wag tail light at the time was also a problem.

I have an 03 F650GSD and I haven't noticed any lighting signalling problems although I do get those who have to tell me my headlight is broken or loose.
  4. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    And can't seem to understand that it's supposed to do that.
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stick to Kisan's, it's virtually plug 'n' play. Plus, Kisan has excellent customer service.

In keeping with ADV tradition, vendor rants are posted in Vendors, so off it goes.
  6. ciao

ciao Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like the Kisan headlight modulator, but the Kisan tailblazer left me without any tail lights twice in one year.:eek1
  7. CarSalesman

CarSalesman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kisan has good customer service? That's the first I've heard that. Certainly the year long project I've gone through with them, trying to get a modulator to work properly on a 2007 R12GS, hasn't shown that to be true. Don't bother leaving a message, because they don't call back (I've left at least 6). The people are nice enough once you get a hold of somebody, but when it comes to the combination of BMW + Kisan, the answer is DON'T! There are several threads here on this issue.
  8. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    They've struggled with the modulator working on the 12GS without triggering a canbus fault on the LCD display.

I've had several dealings with them regarding failed parts and they've cheerfully replaced them without asking proof of purchase.
  9. induna

induna Tryin' to get Dirty

Oddometer:
    CANBUS BMWs maybe, but for other Beemers, I don't think it's a problem. I have no issue with pathblazer or tailblazer on my '03 Dakar.
  10. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    Been using the "Double Eagle" headlight modulator for approximately 50,000 trouble free miles! :deal
  11. Firedawg450

Oddometer:
    Murphy's law... I decide to vent and they call me after my trying to reach them for two months. But I'm still pissed that I have to supply them with a credit card before they'll check their unit. If they decide to tell me the unit was not at fault then I'm nailed for a service fee without any kind of verification of their findings. The gent that called me was very nice and explained he cut off the answering service because he felt it was a waste of money????? I just shake my head and wonder how some people think. Don't you want customers to feel confident that they can reach you??? They obviously could have called me or e-mailed me back anytime in the last two months - why did it take so long?
    Anyway, when (if) I get a functioning unit back it is going on e-bay. I discussed the workings of the unit with them and the idea of using their unit to modulate the turn signals is a bad idea. They've based it on the same unit as the headlight modulator, which will fail to the on position. In the turn signals, that's just plain dangerous.
  12. Firedawg450

Oddometer:
    Good for you. This was a very different experience than I had.

13. BountifulBees

BountifulBees n00b

Oddometer:
    I got one of these from Kriss for my R65. there are several warnings about polarity, so I used a multimeter to test my headlamp leads as it's got a Hannigan fairing on it and the fairing wiring (done by whomever put the fairing on) looks amateurish. Polarity was OK. Modulator did NOT modulate the high beam. I emailed on a Saturday, was told that I connected it improperly.
    Their bench testing instructions did not match the colors on the harness of the unit they sent me, to which they did not respond, however they did say it would ONLY modulate the low beam.
    I went back to test again, this time putting a test lamp across the low beam circuit. POOF- a wisp of white smoke came out of the box.
    I emailed back. We'll see what happens next. Kind of pissed that for $100 and more it should be this much of a pain in the ass.
  14. Connors Dilemma

Connors Dilemma n00b

Oddometer:
    I installed a Kriss modulator in 2003, it's performed flawlessly for 9 years, yes 9 years. One thing that will cause the unit to fail is improper installation, use a meter to identify the wires and their function and read the installation instructions before you start the install. As far as the requirement for a return authorization (RMA) that is a standard operating procedure for every electronics company that I have ever dealt with and I worked on aircraft avionics systems for 36 years. I have not had any experience with the other modulators in the marketplace, but what I've found is that "excellent customer service" is usually a result of poor engineering and results in throwing parts at the problem until you find one that works. I called Kriss recently and talked with the owner for a considerable length of time, I found him very helpful and willing to work with me to answer my questions. If I decide to upgrade my system I will not hesitate to buy a Kriss system for my new ride, you get what you pay for. That's my 2 cents you can agree or not it's your privilege.
  15. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have 2 kisan modulators. I ride to work so at least one is used daily. zero problems after 2 years.
  16. Connors Dilemma

Connors Dilemma n00b

Oddometer:
    Just upgraded to a dual headlight system from Kriss, 45 minute to get access to the lamps, 5 minutes to install, couldn't be simpler. System works like a charm same as the first system I had, I don't expect any problems. The first system worked for 9 years and 66,000 km's never failed once. Nice improvements to the photo cell sensitivity and better shadow tolerance,great job Kriss!