Don't care for Harley - Never Rode / Have Rode

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by HuntWhenever, Nov 4, 2019.

?

Don't care for Harley - Never Rode / Have Rode

1. I rode a buddy's

69 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. I test rode one

25 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. I owned one

74 vote(s)
    29.0%
  4. I've never rode one

52 vote(s)
    20.4%
  5. Who is this Harley everyone keeps talking about?

21 vote(s)
    8.2%
  6. I rented one

14 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Curiosity poll spurred by a discussion on another thread. If you don't care for Harley-Davidson motorcycles (not judging...no worries), have you ever ridden one? Select whichever selection you spent the most time / miles on. Feel free to share your experiences if you rode one and didn't care for it.
    Traxx likes this.
  2. * SHAG *

* SHAG * Unstable

Oddometer:
    Winter already?
  3. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Missing a choice "I rode several, wanted to like them, hated every single one".
    concours, MotoSly, XTremeRide and 9 others like this.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode several Harleys, enjoyed riding every one but not enough to buy one.
  5. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a Frankenstein R1150GS , with all the farkles that you can prob get .... awesome go anywhere I would ever want to go tomorrow, love that bike

I also have a 68 Ironhead bobber, that turns gas into noise better than any of the other 27 bikes I have owned, doesn't go fast, doesn't corner well (hard tail), but puts such a smile on my face that I just can't get rid of ..... guys nod, girls smile .... its a fun little bike, love that bike

Every bike has its good and bad points ...... not anyone one bike will check all the boxes.... Harley, sure ... would also like to pick up a 57 Panhead, 81 FLHTP, 82 1liter Bumota, and maybe a Z1RTC, oh don't forget about the KZ1000R
  6. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. Knapper-UK

Knapper-UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode a couple of the latest models, including the 114 Breakout. Liked the general vibe, wasn't blown away by the performance. Hated the price.

Then rode a seven year old Fat Bob. Took a few miles but then I "got" it. Not fast, not sporty but fitted me like a glove, fantastically comfortable and oodles of character. Would make a fab lazy tourer or sunny day chugger. Why would you not want one? Made an offer on it.
  8. PK2

PK2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had one for 18 months after 30 years on sports bikes.
    Spent too much time and money trying to get it to handle and brake like I wanted.

I now ride a Triumph Speed Triple and I'm 56 years old.
    I won't own another cruiser.
  9. Name_pending

Name_pending n00b

Oddometer:
    My motorcyclist life began on a cruiser. I loved the sound and (what I tought was) power. My first bike was a 2004 lime green Kawasaki Mean Streak. Bought new. Loved the bike but not good for two up riding so wanting to stay in the cruiser line, I traded in 2006 for a Nomad witch I installed a batwing fairing and a Harley tourpak. When I kicked the girlfriend out, I change the bike to a 2009 Electra-Glide Classic. Good bike, not one problem except that, when encountering a dirt road, I turned back. Had that bike for several years until I sold it and move on to something other than motorcycling. Met my actual girlfriend and she had a Sportster and I was bikeless. Her Dad sold me his Honda ST1100 and I discovered that there was better bikes than cruisers. After riding the ST for a year, I finaly got a Super Tenere wich I love and ride wherever I want.
  10. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Had a 2001 sportster 1200 custom.... Absolutely loved that bike and will definitely own another. Of all the bikes I've owned, that's the one I regret selling. My only complaint was fuel range, but it was a blast to ride.... I commuted year round, traveled on it. Dead nuts reliable, easy to work on. I truly miss it.
  11. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    I have done several 3 day rentals. Either Harley is getting better or I am getting older.
  12. LopezXC

LopezXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding with a friend, we decide to swap bikes. He had a Harley Sportster, mine was a Bandit.

It was a complete test, city, twisted roads, highway, straight roads...

I decided I would never had one.
    HuntWhenever, Ginger Beard and Traxx like this.
  13. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought a 17 Road King in May 2019 with 319 miles on it. Took it on a 1,500 mile shakedown run later the same month. I needed a slightly taller windscreen. Got that and then rode it to Alaska. 6,900 miles in 20 days. Mostly 500 mile days, day after day after day etcetera to get there and back on schedule. Was epic and awesome.

Put it to sleep for winter with 12,788 miles on it. Needs new tires come Spring.

I can’t speak to HD’s past. I’m not an HD guy by any stretch. But it is a good bike as are, I believe, most of their current line up. After my trip I commuted on it and most days took the extra long way to and from work.

Indian makes a more up to date version but they demand outrageous prices on accessories.

I chose it for the ergonomics. My body cannot endure the upright position of most ADV bikes for as long as I like to ride at times. I had no off-road riding aspirations- been there and done that in a Jeep. I could use a taller seat.

My biggest complaint is the horn button is not in a natural location. Lesser, changing pre-load is a minor hassle.

I’ve found most Harley riders are wonderfully nice and kind people... generous to help too. I don’t participate in the HD social scene.

Personally, I don’t believe in brand loyalty. Products are tools. My 17RK does its job competently with a bit of 50’s-60’s flair and 44mpg with automotive grade cruise control. It works for me.
    IMG_0183.JPG IMG_0077.JPG IMG_0524.JPG
    owcow, Parrothead, TurkeyRun and 8 others like this.
  14. +venture

+venture Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a kind of rare 1982 XR 1000 in the early nineties. It was the fastest bike Harley had ever made.
    It was a very good bike for riding around LA as a late 20s wannabe actor.
    Sold it for a profit when I needed the money.
    Kind of felt like a two wheeled locomotive. Never had the itch for another, but a big old tourer would be nice now that I’m nearly 60.
    ozmoses and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  15. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    I put 40+k on a '96 Sportster "Sport" (that was pre-rubber mount) and had a lot of fun, despite the grit-your-teeth vibration at anything over quite relaxed speeds. Plus it was way to heavy for what it provided and the newer vibration-quelling Sporsters are even heavier! I put on 18" laced alloy wheels, removed the short rear shocks to raise the rear, decrease the rake, put on an actual seat, etc., etc. The stock front forks were fully adjustable Showas, but no matter what I did, I was unable to achieve a comfortable seating position, ride at elevated speeds comfortably or get the performance it ought to have had, despite Buell Thunderstorm heads, air cleaner and exhaust. The wider tires I'd laced up were still skinny. The bike had a nice look from a bit back, but up close it looked like 1940, which for myself was not an asset. I changed brands even though it never broke, in fact it was the first motorcycle I'd ever owned that I didn't blow the engine. I've never looked back despite riding with guys who still rode Harleys who on a ride I would have to pull over at every route change so they wouldn't get lost. My riding and the brand are worlds apart and I doubt they'll EVER build something I want after weighing the price-performance-weight-purpose equation. They do nice paint, but that's not enough. I've ridden baggers enough to know they are not right for me, regardless of brand. I've owned a 650 pound motorcycle long enough to know even that is too heavy and I will NEVER buy another bike that tips the scales over 500 pounds.
  16. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never ridden one, not interested in riding one. Harley-Davidsons are the antithesis of what motorcycling is for me.....
    JETalmage, scfrank, SFC_Ren and 6 others like this.
  17. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    My brother in law lives in the middle of West Virginia which is home to some wonderful roads. There's been many occasions where I threw a bike in the back of my truck so I'd have something to ride with him. Of course we switch off now and then but the truth is, his Harley scares the shit out of me. I'm a sport bike rider at heart...I'm used to going 70 through a 35 mile an hour curve. The first time I leaned his Heritage Special into a 45 mile an hour curve doing 45 pieces started dragging. That really freaked me out. Last time I ever road a Harley.

Now him riding my 79 RD400 Daytona Special...that was a spectacle:D

As an edit: I will admit that I've toyed with the idea of a Harley recently. But this is my dilemma; I own a lot of motorcycles, I mean more than any human should. And whenever I need to get to a certain one, I have to move others to get there. The thought of having to move a 700#+ bike all the time doesn't thrill me one bit. Yeah, I'm going to try and thin the heard this coming year, but every time I say that I pick up 2 more. It's a sickness I tell ya!
  18. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    I like Harleys I'm just not going to pay 10k more for a bike that is no better.............Kawasaki Voyager - Harley ultra glide Both will take you anywhere the other one will and have just as much fun. A new Voyager can be had for around 15k and an Ultra will be close to 30k hey that's 15k difference. They are nowhere twice as good if as good. The only thing about Harley that is better to me is that you are never far away from a dealer with parts.
    SmittyBlackstone and Traxx like this.
  19. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    The constant nagging that all motorcyclists should ride harleys is a big turn-off.

BMW and KTM owners can do the same thing.

At least BMW and KTM make bikes in the shapes I want to ride.
    MotoSly, JETalmage, scfrank and 3 others like this.
  20. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    I agree. Although there may be people that don't like Harleys that have never tried one, I find that most of the folks that nag people to get a Harley are equally guilty of not trying anything else.
    MotoSly, Limrik, johnwesley and 3 others like this.