[Don't stop me now! 30.000km on a small 'unusual' dirtbike from Malaysia to the Netherlands]

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by WhereIsWiljen, Feb 18, 2016.

1. WhereIsWiljen

WhereIsWiljen Join the Madventure

Oddometer:
    As I thought I already started a thread.. I didn't so here it is!

The title says it all.. somewhat 30.000km on a 150cc dirtbike bought in Malaysia.
    Don't stop me now!

Me myself, a 26yo old IT 'Nerd', did quit his job several months ago to start this Madenture. I don't take life to serious, sometimes this works against me.. which i'll find out during this trip anyway! Well I guess.. i'm in for an adventure.. let the good times roll!

[​IMG]

Not knowing if I would do only South East Asia on my bike or traveling the long way
    northwest. Whilst riding in Cambodia I thought fuck it, I have 'plenty' money left.. let's just do this.

Paperwork had to be done, and as always that's where the struggles start. I thought I had to get my CPD from Germany.. well I guessed wrong. Anyway 1,5 month before my first CPD country I found out that via AAM Malaysia it was possible to get the document. Best thing was I didn't even had to go to Malaysia! What a relief!

Now on the 'one hundred and 13th day' of my trip I find myself in the border town Mae Sot. And there is absolutely nothing to do here, I misread an e-mail about the border crossing.. so here I am on day too early.

Oh well, let's write my first post on advrider then, maybe some 2 wheelers are interested in my journey! I know it's not the longest, the best or the most outstanding trip. But it's my own experience and my best one so far!

Cheers, WhereIsWiljen

[sorry for the cringeworthy engrish sometimes!]
    [​IMG]
  2. WhereIsWiljen

Oddometer:
    Now it's out there my first post/thread on advrider i'm going to post all of my 'WhereIsWiljen' episodes..so you'll have something to do this weekend.
    Don't worry the episodes are +/- 3 mins each, enjoy! Let's start with the last one because, let's be honest, you're not going to watch them all.. are you?

EP9 - Takhek to Vang Vieng(Laos) on a 150cc dirtbike [Join the Madventure - #WhereIsWiljen]

EP8 - Cambodia/Laos to the Takhek Loop on a 150cc dirtbike [Join the Madventure - WhereIsWiljen]

EP7 - Phnom Penh on the way to Laos on a 150cc dirtbike [Join the Madventure - WhereIsWiljen]

EP6 - Thai border to Phnom Penh on a 150cc dirtbike [Join the Madventure - WhereIsWiljen]

And the rest of the episodes:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzX8UinZbKnDBdahCx6pdeJTTJ1FV_BdU

Cheers, WhereIsWiljen
  3. WhereIsWiljen

Oddometer:
    Something about myself:

Who are you.. pff that's always a good question.. well let's give it a go!

I'm Wiljan Hooijer, 26yo from the Netherlands. My father was/is a enthusiastic Motorcyclist and my sister a enthusiastic moped rider.
    I was, safe to say, somewhere in between. At the age of 15 I figured that buying a moped would be a good idea to start with!

[​IMG]

The moped was a Tomos with a stunning top speed of: 35km/h! I didn't had a driver permit neither was the moped insured, but I found myself riding through the whole town. After the summer holidays I sold the moped and the new owner wrecked it in one day! After this my dad taught me how to shift gears on his Jawa 300?

At the age of 16 I bought the scooter from my sister, and had a oldschool Honda ss50 a Zundapp gts 50 and a Yamaha RD250LC...whooah what!?
    What does a 16yo with all that stuff. Well I only rode on the Scooter and the Zundapp the rest was 'under construction'.
    Before the RD250LC was finished I had to sell it already, bummer!

At the age of 18 I was happy to go for my motorcycle license, the instructor however told me it was better to go for my Car license first. I got that one really quick haha! Once I was 19, I had to get the Motorcycle license, unfortunately I failed twice, finally in April there was a new legal rider in the Netherlands.

Ok so, you kinda get where my enthusiasm for motorcycles started. Anyway since my 19th I rode several motorcycles: MZ 250, MZ350, MZ500, Suzuki GSX600F and finally a GSXR750SRAD..Ow i Love that bike!
    [​IMG]

Still reading? Well let's get to the point where my adventures started. In 2013 I got in a car accident and had some time to think, what was I doing with my life! Let's get out of this 'shithole' and travel! Back then I had a missus we decided to go together, long story short: we didn't. Anyway Australia was the destination. I wanted to travel around by motorcycle but as a first 'big adventure' I chose for a saver option a Ford Falcon 4.0i station wagon from '96 .
    Rode around whole Australia and in the meantime visited Indonesia(where I got into a bike accident.. go me!) and New Zealand. After several months of traveling I felt it was time for something new!

Traveling by motorcycle.. but how? I couldn't find a steady job in Straya anymore, so bought a ticket to the Netherlands and had 1,5 year to figure out how to travel on a bike. I knew my destination would be South East Asia, but where to start and what bike to go with? Those were the questions..

During my quest I found some inspiring people on the web: Ed March, Sjaak Lucassen and Nathan Millward. Exactly those 3 inspired me to buy a unusual bike and see what happens really. After the 1,5 year in the Netherlands I finally arrived in Malaysia, here the Madventure could start! 7 in the morning, Kuala Lumpur..let's get a train and go directly to a Kawasaki dealer! 2000 dollars yes, in 3 days? Ok! 3 days later and there it was a brand new Kawasaki KLX 150L als known as 'Kwaaky'! Just 1 k on the odometer, ready for a shitload of adventures!
    [​IMG]

At the givi shop they put some panniers and top box on the bike and she was all set for the journey!

And oh dear little did she know what kind of adventures! Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia and Laos where ahead of her.. and well maybe more!
    Will be continued:
    [​IMG]
    Cheers, WhereIsWiljen
    The_Scottsman likes this.
  4. WhereIsWiljen

Oddometer:
    So you introduced yourself, told some information about how you winded up here.. but ehm what kinda tools/gear do you use?

Excellent question, couldn't have thought of it myself..Well here is a list with all the 'important' gear:
    [​IMG]
    - Laptop
    for the video editing (gopro studio and adobe premiere pro)
    - External harddrive
    For all the cheeky material at lonely nights,, eh I mean as a backup for my gopro material!
    - Gopro Hero 4 (+ a lot of mounts)
    to capture all that sneaking around in countires
    - GPS
    My old phone with Osmand+, cool feature I can record all the routes I took!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    - Tools (tire levers, swiss pocket knife, inner tubes, wd40, the usual toolkit and so on)
    To ehm fix the bike?
    - Gear
    Buse boots, DX.com gloves and a helmet bought in the Netherlands[​IMG]
    - 12v plug on the bike
    - First aid kit
    This is something I needed to use already
    - Tent, sleeping mat and bag
    - Waterproof bags
    - A little stove (pots and pans will come later)
    - Clothing +shoes and flipflops
    obviously I can't ride around naked it would scare everybody away anyhow.
    - Toiletries
    - Money
    you see I found during this trip that money is quit helpful!
    - Harmonica
    to play some tunes here and there.

And that's basically it!
    [​IMG]
    Cheers, WhereIsWiljen
    The_Scottsman and Bananapete like this.
  5. goodcat

goodcat Changing latitudes, altitudes and attitudes

Oddometer:
    Pretty darn cool story and adventure Wiljen.

Keep it rollin :ricky
    WhereIsWiljen likes this.
  6. WhereIsWiljen

Oddometer:
    I'm on the though now, crossing Myanmar in 9 days with a tour. Doing all that sightseeing you usually don't bother to do.
    Exhausting and loads of beers with the blokes..(aussies in the group) and the wifi is so poor that I couldn't even upload pictures.

Let's continue where I last ended, it is almost 4 months/12.000km ago!

Malaysia:
    After the panniers and topbox were mounted on 'Kwaaky' it was time to load her up for the first day of travel!
    And boy little did I know what I was doing. I thought well a 250k's a day should be fine. Let's just ride from Kuala Lumpur towards another town, there it should be possible to find a hostel. I mean every town in south east asia has hostels right?

I was so wrong, during the ride it started to rain(it was raining season back then) the rainfall was really bad and I had to pull over to hide for it.
    It lasted for 2 hours straight the worst i've ever seen in my life! I sat there waiting at a tire company.. over thinking my trip. Why did I started this, why am I so stupid and didn't think things through and all such bad thoughts came to mind. It stopped raining and I left the garage when I finally arrived in the town it was already 5 o clock and it started to get dark. No guesthouses/hostels, no wifi and no one who spoke a few words of English.

Crap what now? I didn't have a tent and at that point I was a bit anxious..luckily I found a guy who spoke a little English. "If you ride to the next town you'll find some hostels/guesthouses there" He also said:"A lot of tourists go there!". In the dark and with a bunch of flies in my eyes I made it to the next town.

Absolutely no tourists and the only thing what I saw were resorts..Crap again! I rode around a bit to find something like a guesthouse or hostel, but there was nothing. After a while I decided to try a hotel i was exhausted and just wanted to rest. My God this hotel was absolutely rubbish.. the room was filthy the mattress springs came out of the mattress and the bathroom was flooded..and i didn't notice all the mosquitoes.

Too be honest I don't mind filthy places, i quite enjoy staying at the cheap places. But this was not a good start of my trip at all. I had the worst night of my trip and even thought about riding back to Kuala Lumpur and sell the bike. It was that bad!

My luck is/was probably my own stubborness to just continue the journey the next day! And now 12.000km later I think I made the right decision!
    The rest of Malaysia was really good to travel and I met really nice people, also went to the island of Penang and after that I left to Thailand!

And Thailand was basically the start of my journey, the first border crossing and adventures!

So the next time I'll write about my time in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand again!

Cheers,
    WhereIsWiljen
    The_Scottsman likes this.
  7. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
  8. azrai

azrai n00b

Oddometer:
    Cheers from Malaysia..:D