Doom and Gloom day ride '08

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Silver, May 22, 2008.

1. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    Gloom and Doom ride, 08.

Young surfer – “Do you ever think about dying while surfing?”
    Old surfer – “Not when I’m surfing”

Last year about this time I was planning a ride with a few co-workers to Oark, AR, this was all fine and dandy except for the fact that for some ungodly reason I was getting linked to that guy with his head stuck in the truck, various crash reports, and a few crash videos. This was all a few days prior to going riding, to say I was a bit skittish would be correct, I was a lot skittish. The ride went ok, everyone came back home and everything was still shiny. The start of the ride for me was definite doom and gloom for the long straights to get out of Oklahoma.

It seems that this might start to be a trend for me, the gloom and doom ride. Last week a friend of mine broke his collarbone on the TAT(Trans American Trail), this week on Monday I find out another friend of mine broke his arm while riding. I also log into the Arkansas forums and find (Guy gets binned by a truck, kinda not work safe)this link. Needless to say my doom and gloom senses were off the chart for my venture into uncharted(for me) territory on Tuesday.

Click map for google map of it.
    [​IMG]

At the start of the day I just hung out and drank my coffee as always. Ahh, I’m not in a rush. Heading out of course the mind is clicking through things like there’s no tomorrow(lol doom and gloom, what if there isn’t?). Cars, sand, TRUCKS, too fast in corners, go slow, be safe, oh yeah breath. On any ride that I’m going on that isn’t just around the corner I get some anticipation, excitement, nervousness, a smidge of fear. It’s common. This one probably had a bit more fear to it due to yesterdays discovery of broken bones and visual aides of people smacking into truck grills. Eh enough doom and gloom, on with the report!

A hearty breakfast of a breadstick stuffed with pepperoni and a coke.

[​IMG]

Afterwards I ran the normal route which consists of Spavinaw/Jay. I have reported on those multiple times and there was nothing of note. Roads are pretty clean, and that’s about it. My stop in Jay, RED RED RED.

[​IMG]

I do my part to moderate the flying or jumping bug population. Also as I was cleaning my shield a sheriff pulls up right next to me. Has a convict in transport with him windows down. Of course my mind spins off into 1500 different tangents of how when he knocks out the sheriff and tries to steal my motorcycle I’m going to be a hero. I dunno, it could have happened.

[​IMG]

Quick stop in Bentonville where my company has an office, I had no idea where it was and after calling a colleague I was past it.

[​IMG]

I didn’t care for Bentonville or Rogers. Lots of traffic and lots of street lights. Yuck, I ride this far to get away from all that, damnit!

OK so you saw breakfast. Mmmm good. As it was getting up on 2pm I was hungry again and even thinking about just hitting a fast food joint. My policy on a ride is that you eat at locally owned places not things you can get in Tulsa like Taco Bell or McDonalds. That has no flavor, no spice, and you can get it anywhere. Well I was almost at the fast food point till I decided to play local eatery Russian roulette. You see, with a place like this it’s either going to be AMAZING or it’s going to be TERRIBLE, I have yet to find an in between. So I give you Holywood Taco’s!!!

[​IMG]

Indeed! 2 Asada Taco’s and a coke and I’m good to go. Honestly it was really really good. Made the wading through traffic in the previous two cities worth it just to find these taco’s. The hot sauce? Sweet lord, I just dipped my finger in it a bit and tasted it that way and WOW my mouth was on fire. I opted not to put any on my taco’s.

[​IMG]

Onward and upward, heading out 62 to Eureka. About 30 minutes after eating my lips stop burning. Yeesh. I also find 127 of which I have heard good things. Well, south 127, this is north 127 and it’s not worth the trouble. This is my first little spur off the map. Ride it for a bit and some turns that are fun, then you get to here…

[​IMG]

127, or 127s???? Well if you look at the map, 127 north goes no where. So I was going to have to turn around anyway, I didn’t know that at the time, and set off down 127 to see how far it went. Well 127s does this.

You get to come around a turn(I was coming from opposite direction the picture was taking) and find this.

[​IMG]

Yeah, whoa. Luckily there was sand and gravel and rocks all over 127s so I was going slow. A little bit later it cleared up and I was rayelin a bit faster, I come upon this(without the car)

[​IMG]

Looks all clear, I’m clipping along at 50+ no obvious changes in the tree line indicating a turn sharper than the slight bend that was coming up, and I crest the hill and the yellow line just stops. And it goes to this…

[​IMG]

I believe I said something like “AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH” in my helmet. My only other option from the gravel road was a 90 degree turn into…

[​IMG]

Which wasn’t going to happen at 50+ so I ride it out, my hand covers the front brake and my brain reminds it that at this point that is a really terrible idea. I let the engine braking and light rear brake slow me down and I turn around(I know, I know, if I was on a dual sport it wouldn't have mattered). Ok so 127s goes to this, and it’s got crap all over it. Let’s go check out 127 itself. It is very short and ends with… BEAVER LAKE! I love how green everything gets in spring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice little off shoot. Next up, JOY!

[​IMG]

After riding 62 for awhile, my next offshoot comes up. DINOSAUR WORLD!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! So in on this.

[​IMG]

I ride, and I ride, and I ride. No Dinosaur world. Finally I get to the dam and decide to turn around, Dinosaur world is no where to be found.

[​IMG]

On the way back out 187 I decide to stop in and see the www.cyclegadgets.com people, of which I have purchased a few things from. It was kind of funny as I felt like “WHOA SOMEONE IS HERE?!?!” type of reaction. They’re pretty out there in the sticks. Amazingly friendly folks though, told me that the front stock was ok but if I wanted to go look at more stuff to just head out to the warehouse and check it out. I hung out just a bit and talked to them about a setup I’m looking for, they didn’t have it but will sell it for me when I make it, definite good feel from these guys, if you’re out that way stop in and say hi.

[​IMG]

They also told me that I missed Dinosaur world by like a mile. It was on the other side of the dam. DAMNIT!!!!! I’LL BE BACK TO FIND YOU DINOSAUR WORLD!!!!!

[​IMG]

Also, stopped for gas and got another coke, the clerk was like “Uhh, is that a coke or just a copy” because of some Olympic games thing they are promoting.

[​IMG]

This is how it looks in Russia. Bonus, I spoke fluent Russian until the caffeine wore off. I went through Eureka and down 23, and decided to skirt off again, via 12. Oh and onto 127 which I was recommended by the AR guys. This 127 was nothing like the other 127, it was awesome. Oh and it linked back up with 12, which was super dreamy as well, nothing but S curves. Set the cruise control at 70-80 and just roll along. Amazing. I end back up in Rogers where I was initially looking for highway 12 previously. If I had remained straight, I would have been on it. I turned right at the junction that I came back through on. Ah well, next time I know. Cities, blah.

[​IMG]

You know, if I ever do the autocom thing with people I’m riding with, if the send button ever gets stuck they’re going to run me off the road to get me to shut up. I dunno though, you may have heard the top 5 hit “I’m to sexy for this road, to sexy for this road, so I won’t wave at other bikers” song. Or 70’s song “Got the po-po rolling” or maybe even the #1 hit single from Silver, “Airing out my nuggets”. Yes, they were all sung on Tuesday, and more. I should totally do an album.

Wanna race?

[​IMG]

Ahh home again. Gloom and doom ride done with, a good time, good roads, and good food. You might ask yourself at times as I do, is it worth the risk? A truck, a patch of sand in a tight corner, a teen texting someone, your own stupidity, any number of these things can break bones or kill you on a motorcycle. Is it worth the risk? For me, yes. Yes it is.

Quick squid anecdote though, coming out of Jay there’s a part where you have a stop sign. I turned right at the stop sign heading back towards Spavinaw and just romped on it. Rowed through the gears up to 125+ then shut her down. A mile later I look in the rearview mirror and there are lights. Awww man, I’m getting pulled over, DAMNIT. It’s a two lane road so I slow down and start looking for a place to pull over, kind of wave to the cop, and…

He passes me. Passes me and keeps on going. What? Upon reflection that was probably jail time if it had been me he was after. What the speed limit is 60ish? 65? I was almost double that. Whew. Oh and if there are any law enforcement officers reading this the previous paragraphs are fictional and inserted for entertainment purposes only.

Home again home again jiggyty jig.

[​IMG]

/fin
  2. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Its weird
    A week before a big ride and I'm counting the minutes....
    The morning the ride starts I'm worried about if I'll return and aware of how much I'll miss my family...

Once I'm on the road its all good.

The young surfer/old surfer comment sums it all up quite well.

Glag you survived your ride :)

thanks for posting.
  3. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Silver, I used to live in Tulsa before I rode. I would love to return some day to ride the area. I enjoyed your photos. :clap