Dork does America for a measly $40.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dork, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Squeaky

Squeaky A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer:
    I'm still wondering the same thing. With recent gas prices, I'm thinking at least $30 a day would be spent on fuel just to get appx. 400-450 miles down the road. That doesn't leave much for food and the occasional motel room, but with so many members/readers willing to put him up for a night and feed him, it may have worked out.

Do we have an update by the treasurer?
  2. Augie

Augie The new voice of reason

Oddometer:
    Between camping and for the most part being put up for a night. He done well

Squeaky, post pics of you and your ride.
  3. RubberDown

RubberDown Long timer

Oddometer:

awwww hell man that thing is good for at least another 5,000 miles! :lol3
  4. Ken

Ken Long timer

Oddometer:

Kinda looks like Rider's final drive...
  5. thencamebronson

thencamebronson Takin' a trip?

Oddometer:
    Dork,

Good job. Glad I could be a part of it. You were my vicarious tour for this summer.

Have we started voting for the next participant? This is like a reality show or like they should be anyway. Squeaky sounds like a good candidate even if her occupation is listed as banking. At least she isn't an insurance agent.
  6. Dork

Dork hallelujah

Oddometer:
    I appreciate everyone's comments.. This journey was like a dream. I was able to go places that I never thought I'd go, do things I never imagined I'd do, and meet people I always wanted to meet.

Before I went on this ride I was literally afraid to go to the store by myself. I very rarely left the comforts of my own home. I couldn't or I'd clam up, my heart would race, I'd feel as though everyone was staring at me, and I just wanted to run away.

I don't have an 'A' type personality. Someone once said that it takes an 'A' type personality to do a trip like this (modrover). Well, I think it takes someone with enough will power and gutts to do it. You just have to figure out how bad you want it and then go for it.

I feel like a different person than when I left. Sitting at the same desk doing the same boring job with the same deadbeat people has got to be grounds for insanity. What's the point of life? I won't let work consume me ever again. I will work, therefore I can afford to go play.

Yes, new chick is getting a bike. It will probably be a ninja 250 then upgrade to an sv650. Our journey will continue to grow and when it takes us out across the country I will be happy to post a report so you all can feel like you're right there beside us.

How much did it cost??

I spent a total of $1765. That is about $58.83 a day. I was gone exactly 30 days. I think it is very feasable to make the trip work on $40 a day. There are times when you'll go over, but there are times when you'll be way under too. If I didn't rush home in 3 days I would have been right at my $40 a day budget.

Squeaky, are you ready to hit the road? There is about $1118 left in the account. I will donate this plus an additional $40 every month for as long as you're willing to stay on the road.

~Dork
    (Randy)
  7. Squeaky

Oddometer:
    Big Pink Rock - Austin, TX (the day I got my Strom)
    [​IMG]

Camping on the Frio River - Concan, TX
    [​IMG]

Somewhere in East TX
    [​IMG]
  8. Squeaky

Oddometer:
    Well, I've been with the same company for 11.5 years now, and I'm burned out. I've been contemplating leaving the job if something else came my way. I've never thought of it as a career.
  9. Ken

Ken Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you agree DOrk I think we should start another tread in JoMomma and find the next person and then well come back to ride reports.
  10. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel See Ya At The Swamp Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can't think about doing 400 miles every day; take it easy and see the sights. I think that's one problem Dork had. He'd beat it past all the good stuff with one destination in mind. What you don't realize is that weeuns stuck here in these frick'n offices during the day want to see and hear about the travel. We want to live vicariously through you. Stop and smell the proverbial roses for us. And if there happens to be one of us on the way then stop and drink a beer and enjoy a home cooked meal. See ya?
  11. Ken

Ken Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or a nice glass of good wine... :freaky
  12. Dork

Dork hallelujah

Oddometer:
    I agree.. Although, my vote is for Squeaky. (If she's willing)
  13. Augie

Augie The new voice of reason

Oddometer:
    Seems fitting that Dork was on a DL6fiddy and you are on a 1000 nice upgrade both ways.

Small bags, think you may need something larger?
  14. DataDaddy

DataDaddy @ the new dad thing

Oddometer:
    From Dork to Dork-ess (-et?)

I vote for Squeeky, she stepped up...

Lets get another one on the road. doG forbid we spend more than a couple of weeks without someone on a $40 per day adventure...:deal

Folks might end up working at work(sucks). Imagine...:lol3
  15. Ken

Ken Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Goddammit Dork, you went and did the right thing. Doesn't mean some of us (OK, me) aren't disappointed, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Hope someone else steps up soon so the vicarious living can continue. By the way, I've got my own little adventure planned, a trip to Alaska, but it ain't gonna happen until 2010! That's the kind of shit you deal with when you get married, settle down, find a real job, hatch a few, etc. Sigh …
  17. Ken

Ken Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Ray of Sunshine

Ray of Sunshine Happy Grrrl

Oddometer:
    No, not bi-polar, just making a joke about people's stereotypical idea of heavily tattooed people. Read the context, and WTF do you think it was followed by a lol? BECAUSE it was a joke. Fuck, I thought you guys from Green Bay were jokingly called cheese heads, not literally. :huh
  19. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer:
    how many miles did you end up riding in those 30 days?
  20. Ken

Ken Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you update that map you had???

You did one hell of a trip!