Dork does America for a measly $40.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dork, Aug 30, 2005.

1. JohnInNH

JohnInNH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dork,

Thanks for the wonderful adventure... great picks and fun stories.. Glad you made it home safe n sound.

Just a note... WD-40 is not a lube. It will flush out what ever lube you DO have. It will evaporate dry. It is mostly a water displacer, and cleaner.

In a pinch use your dip stick to dribble some oil on a dry chain... Gear lube 75-90 in the squirt bottle works too.. it's cheep and handles heavy loads. It slings all over and stinks but it's a good cheep easy to get anywhere... Even motor oil is better than WD-40! A handful of bearing grease even.....

You use WD-40 to clean the old grease and dirt out of a chain.... NEVER for lube!

It's amazing you made it ... LOL.

I just wanted to post this about the WD-40 so others would not do the same thing...

Agian ... thanks for the log of your adventure. If you are ever out in NH again look me up!

I have been in some of the places you took pictures (up at the "Soo" and trans Canada 17) Upper VT on the "islands" etc.

I, too have a sunset picture in my rear view mirror of the rocky MT's. Fun shot.

Be well... enjoy life!

JohnInNH
  2. beerjonny

beerjonny Planning mode...

Oddometer:
    Dork, just finsihed reading your story... envious as the rest.

I read the original $40/day with Vance. Funny how similar you two turned out.

So what is the deal, is this idea dead or what? I followed the link to the Jo Mamma discussion but it seems to have been left as well.... I know of someone who'd be perfect to throw out there...
  3. Ken

Ken Long timer

Oddometer:
    We've been waiting for winter to go away... spring is almost here :evil

I'll do it again at it was well worth the investment the last time. Great entertainment and get to watch how people grow and change and get to learn about a bunch of different AdvRiders that the "chosen one" sees on his/hers adventure.
  4. The Dude Himself

The Dude Himself Hooked on Dirt!!

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Is the dude's name Jason?? I went to school with him. He rearended me (me on my motorcycle, him in his pickup) on the way to the airport one day.
  5. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

This is no place to start a flame war.
    I recently replaced my drive chain with 28,000 miles on it, after a steady diet of WD-40.
  6. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    Bravo Dork!! I was great watching all your posts in Vances thread to this point in time! I can see the difference in your personality. I wish you well in your new found freedom, but never forget the rode you took to get there. If you DO remember, there is more to discover.

K
  7. VHRAM

VHRAM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a awesome post and adventure:freaky .I had to sit and read all 53 pages.
  8. troll

troll zx6e.net

Oddometer:
    Damn, this one ended too early. I know the feeling though. Both times I've been gone for more than a week I start getting anxious, although I am often bound by time on my rides... So I wonder if that would change with nothing to get back to.

I rode to SLC from Chicago and back about the same time you were heading down I80 as well. Too bad we didn't run into you. I have pics from some of those same areas. Oh and I too trashed a chain and had to spend half a day looking for one with it flapping away like crazy. Last time I bother with a cheap fix and thin non-oring chain. Barely got 3k miles out of it.

I'm tempted to try and get some funding for a trip like this as well. I have no bills, job, or much to do...

:freakyto ya dork.
  9. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    I went to school there too! Not sure who that is though. I graduated in 02.
  10. Mat Sub Zero

Mat Sub Zero Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dork, ... I know what ya mean about your 'social anxiety disorder'.
    I have it, too... Scared of public situations & such.
    I'm proud of you on your acomplishment. I comend you. Thanks!
    You are in the hearts of many people. You did a good thing taking that ride! You helped us live outside our lil box. You opened that box & let us ride with you.....Thank you!
    I wish many nights of romance for you & New Chick!

Godspeed!!!!
    Friend,
    Randy Bellamy in Tulsa, OK.
  11. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Lambo3

Lambo3 .

Oddometer:
  13. no

no dreaming adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dork, I'm glad Freeflow bumped this. Great story.

What a great idea for a ride.

Great site.

Great people.

I'm glad I found Adventure Rider. Never knew it existed before. Thanks to all that post for entertaining an Old Guy like me. I never knew there were so many like minded people out there.

:freaky :clap etc.
  14. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    Sorry...I was reading the thread and came across this quote. Made me laugh.

It's called - "going for a hike" or "going for a walk in the woods with your dog". Many people do it. :ken
  15. Dork

Dork hallelujah

Oddometer:
    Yeah, thanks for the bump Jeff.. I just reread the entire thread, again, for like the 20th time.. :lol3

I took the advice of the many and put this trip into a book. (211 pages)

[​IMG]

My grandmother took the book to a family reunion. It was the hit of the entire weekend. The younger crowd could care less, but the older people seemed to really enjoy it. Although they had a hard time figuring out why everyone kept giving me the bird. And a couple of them were actually a little upset by it. My grandma said she had a tough time explaining the gesture....

I would have loved to see her try. :lol3

A few pages from the book

[​IMG]

Vance and Jkam:

[​IMG]

~Dork :D
  16. Just_Sean

Just_Sean herewegoagain

Oddometer:
    That's a great thing to have...

some photo sites actually will do that for you in a hardcover, bound book...my sister took a long European vacation and had one made.
  17. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:
    pretty dang cool - this is the thread that got me hooked on advrider.com
  18. MotoKat

MotoKat Whine Cooler.

Oddometer:
    :nod http://www.mypublisher.com/default.php Pretty inexpensive, and if you have a costco membership, you can go through their website and save 20% (no, I have no affiliation with either:lol3 )
  19. Dork

Dork hallelujah

Oddometer:
    I wish I'd known about that before I made my book. :baldy

Oh well, maybe later. :D
  20. Just_Sean

Just_Sean herewegoagain

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kat!!