1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Dork does America for a measly $40.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dork, Aug 30, 2005.

1. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Dork? Come home :cry
  2. Tropical Bird

Tropical Bird From the front line

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Looks great so far!

Keep the pics coming.

Rgds
    Glenn
  3. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    How ya like that man? I'm actually reading your shit?! :D

Please be careful in those wooded areas. No shit... not like I'm saying anything new, but if you can figure out a way to sleep with one eye open? Do so. :bueller

People just out walking in the middle of the damn woods... WTF?! :huh :lol3
  4. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    I don't mind your packed to the hilt wee-strom. I think it looks the shit bud. :1drink
  5. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Sleep well young DORK... sleep well. You've got many helping hands just a phone call away. ADVrider is the only group/club/whatever that actually backs the bullshit. You ride for all of us... you lucky fuckface! :1drink :lol3
  6. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    Nice air mattress you have there. After you've used it a bit, let us know how you like it.

Need to figure out a better more stable way to pack your load than using bungee nets. Might try and find a dry duffle bag to hold some of the stuff and get some ROK straps to tie it down with. We can look at it at Cromags or the Hodown see if we can make it easier to deal with.

I don't carry a gun so I got a laser pen to keep with me in secluded camps in case I have any visitors during the night. I can paint their chest with the red dot and hope they think I've got a weapon trained on them.
  7. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Jay, I found that air matress at Cabela's. $25. :thumb
  8. new chick

new chick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

What happened to the pump???
  9. new chick

Oddometer:

I second that!!:clap
  10. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    Dork, I'd suggest putting new chick on your ignore list, at least for awhile.

Now Missy.

The lad will be getting home sick as it is without your help.
  11. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    :wave Dork

You if you were on Hwy 200 in Montana you camped right by my cousin Royals place (he was at the PNWGangBang05) hell that may have been cousin Royal out walking his dog :lol3 he lives by mile post 7, right across the border.
  12. AceRph

AceRph Affluenza Free!

Oddometer:
    Where the stupidest people on earth run things
    Rolling out tomorrow. Easy 1st day. Goin' to fish's new hacienda in Grass Valley. Then some long miles on Saturday & Sunday. As the week progresses & gas prices get higher, we can get a better idea of a good place to meet.

I thought I'd like to go to the Aerostich place in Diluth, then through the upper penisula of Mich & into Canada.

News at 11.

Ride safe man.

Off to work(sucks) for the last day for a month. :clap
  13. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    Looks like Mr Dork is on a mission from Dog. (Drunk old Geezers)
  14. bosco

bosco Raybanned

Oddometer:
    Yo Dork!

If you're rolling east on Hwy 200 stop in at Lambert and we'll put you up for the night. It is a LONG day's ride from Missoula, 10-11 hours at best. You might want to hole up in Leweistown for the night and make a more leisurly (sp?) ride of it.

Rob
  15. Ken

Ken Long timer

Oddometer:

:rofl :rofl :rofl
  16. Augie

Augie The new voice of reason

Oddometer:
    I told you to find a new slave.
  17. TongueLady

TongueLady Shine A Light

Oddometer:
    JEEBUS! That does look like right across the hiway from Royal's. (Can tell by the mountains). That's not Royal's coat tho...could be the neighbor (where we got spring water). It's probably best that you weren't aware of the "trouble" they've been having around there...some vagrant guy with a gun who camps around there...he gets picked up by the police every few days, but always ends up right back in the 'hood. (He's got a camper and a bicycle...we accidently found his camp one day...yikes!)

Be careful in Lewistown, too. I was stalked by a guy with a knife when I was up there with a band a coupla years ago. 2 of my friends went after him, and he pulled a knife on them...they wrestled it away & we ran to tell the hotel desk to call the police and she says, "Oh, that's just So-and-So...he works in the kitchen...he's harmless!" FUCK!!!:eek1 We moved our party to another room, and I wouldn't let any of my band or crew go down for breakfast in the morning. I found out later, from a friend who used to live there, that that is "just the way things are up there"! Don't expect to be going back anytime soon! LOL
  18. bosco

bosco Raybanned

Oddometer:
    Don't expect to be going back anytime soon! LOL

It's how we keep the riff-raff out<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  19. new chick

Oddometer:
    basically....

:boid

and that's how I feel about that...
  20. Dork

Dork hallelujah

Oddometer:
    I picked up camp around 8am and drove back the way I had came. I noticed the night before that there were some great scenic views of a river. I wanted to get some pictures before I headed further East.

I went about 10 miles and then turned back around to start heading East again. As I was turning around this man on the side of the road waved his arms at me to pull over next to him. When I approached he yelled out, "Did you lose your wallet?"
    -me, "nope, got mine right here."
    -man, "are you sure?" *he held up a blue wallet to show me what it looks like*
    -me, "yeah, I’m sure. Mines leather anyway."
    -man, "I just found it sitting on the side of the road and saw you turning around. Thought you were coming back for it."
    -me, "Oh, I was turning around to get pictures of the river."
    -man, ‘Well, that’s too bad. I’s hoping you were the owner."
    -me, "Is there a license or a name in the wallet?"
    -man *opens wallet*
    -man, "Oh, uh, looks like this guy is going to have problems. He’s from Canada."
    -me, "That’s too bad. He won’t be able to cross the border."
    -man, "Nope, oh well. I’ll mail it to him anyway."
    -me, "well, good luck."

[​IMG]

Pictures of the river.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a picture of me posing.
    [​IMG]

There are a million lakes in Montana. Everywhere I go I see a lake. If it weren’t for the mountains I think Montana would be under water.

[​IMG]
    I get to Kalispell and decide I need to change my cell phone service. I drive all over town looking for a verizon dealer, but have no luck. Finally I see this Cellular One building and figure they must know where to find a verizon store. I asked the guy working there if he can direct me where to go.

[​IMG]
    -cell guy, "The enemy?? Uh, I have no idea.. Hahaha"
    -me, "oh, I need to change my service."
    -cell guy, "You want me to hook you up with some cellular one service?"
    -me, "no, I mean, I need to change so I’m not roaming anymore."
    -cell guy, "oh, okay. Go back the way you came and hang a right....blah blah."

When I finally find the verizon store I go in to change my service, but the phone isn’t having any of that. First the guy goes into the computer and changes it to be a national plan. The phone say, "notta". Then he manually changes the function in the phone and on the computer. Again the phone says, "beep, try again fella" Then he plugs the phone into a machine. The machine smokes a little, then sputters and then launches the phone across the room. (Okay, that didn’t really happen, but it wouldn’t have surprised me if it did.) Still the phone doesn’t accept the changes. Finally the guy takes the phone and throws it away. Then he hands me a brad new phone and says, "There you go sir. This phone should work nicely for you. Thanks and come again."

[​IMG]
    So, now I have a brand new phone. Cool.

Back out on the road the mountains are starting to get huge. Everywhere I look I see a colossal size of mountains. It must be the Rocky’s.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don’t make it to Glacier National Park until after 3pm. My plan was to be camped by 6pm, but the park is 60 miles from one side to the other and I know it will be a lot of stop and go. I just hope to make it out of there before sundown.
    [​IMG]

Here are a bunch of pictures from inside the park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A blurry picture of some deer.
    [​IMG]

More inside the park

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This construction zone was way up on the side of the mountain. The road had collasped so it was a only one lane for a while. You were supposed to wait for your light to be green before driving down the one lane road. I waited for like 3 minutes and decided to go anyway. I blasted through at like 60mph. I just barely made it to the other side when I a long line of cars started to make their way through. If they would have come sooner I would of been screwed.

[​IMG]

More from the park.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The road was very narrow and just drops off on one side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

View from the top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is after I get out of the park. Those are the Rocky's in the background. I was glad to be out of those Mountians. I don't plan to see them again for a long time. :D

[​IMG]

I made it out before 6pm, but the sun is showing signs of fatigue. It is definitely going down.

[​IMG]
    I found something important out as I was venturing east of the Rocky Mountains. The East side of Montana is pretty deserted and flat. There are absolutely no forests and very little trees. It makes for no camping. I had to drive 100+ miles to the city of Great Falls before I could find a place to sleep. I think it is the first town I drove through that wasn’t full of Indians. I sprung for a motel. Looks like I dipped into my tire money a little.

Here's a funny looking statue. I don't have any idea what it represents.
    [​IMG]

Here’s a few shots of the setting sun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ps. Vance, that sunset was for you man.. :D