Douglas Motorcycles closes its doors

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by CA Stu, Oct 5, 2020.

1. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Screenshot.png

Sad news, San Bernardino's Triumph dealer is history...
  2. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Awww, crap! They were my ATK dealer back in the day. It was always an interesting shop to visit.
  3. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    They moved from that old shed out on 5th street to right next to the 215 a few years back.
    I first went out there in 1998 when the Sprint ST came out, I had to have one...
    Met Doug Douglas himself, he was an older gent even back then, he to;ld me he had just got back from a 3 day, 1100 mile ride on a Speed Triple. I couldn't wrap my head around that. :lol3

Bought a few bikes from them, went on several shop rides...

Sucks.
    villageidiot likes this.
  4. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    :lol3 You drove out there, saw the place and still bought a motorcycle from him? I wonder how many people were scared off by that location. The first time I drove out there with a buddy of mine, we were convinced that we had to be lost: "Houses, house, field, house, school, house, oh, crap! There it is!"

https://goo.gl/maps/cBrw64gQg7j9JVQEA

They seemed like an honest enough place but, it was hard buying parts from them. I'm standing there, wallet in hand and wanting to order ATK parts. The parts guy would talk me out of it or tell me other places where I could get them without having to order. ATK was still producing bikes at the time but, it seemed like he didn't want to place a parts order with them.

The last time I was there, he had a 1975 Norton Commando with a very reasonable $8K price tag on it. That was the closest I've come to buying another Norton.

So who handles Ural around there now?
    BrockEvan likes this.
  5. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    I actually bought my first Triumph from OC Triumph. I did buy 3 other Triumphs from Douglas though.

Lots of my parts, tires and service dollars went to them.

Pro tip: Don't stop at the liquor store out that way. :brow
    BrockEvan and villageidiot like this.
  6. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Being a mile from Chaparral might have had some impact on them. Was at Chaparral today and their floor was nearly empty. No used bikes at all and maybe 20 percent of their usual inventory. Hopefully Douglass was at least able to blow out their inventory before closing. If Chaparral isn’t able to get bikes they probably couldn’t either. Sad to see any of the small businesses that have managed to hang on for this long disappear. Corporate will be our only option soon.
  7. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Crap-corral has its customers. I have a love-hate relationship with the place.

One night I drove the 70 miles over there to buy $600-700 worth of stuff. I wanted a Shoei RF800 helmet in some non-flashy finish and not black. Sell me white, silver, etc. I needed two Metzeler tires for the GS (17 rear and 21 front). Some off road goggles and a few other things. In that giant store, I couldn't buy any of it. The helmet lady was beyond worthless. The tire department had nothing but, 700 Cheng Shin knobbies and sport bike tires. They said they probably had them "in the warehouse" but they closed at 4:00 so I was out of luck.

On the way out, some manager-ish looking guy asked if I found everything okay. I calmly asked him if there was a senior manager there I could speak to. I didn't want to actually whine at anybody but, to share the disappointment. They were sending me home with all of my money. That's not how businesses are supposed to work. He was understanding and apologetic. That wasn't the first or last time that's happened.

I stop if I'm in the area and always manage to pick up grips or a tank bag or something but, won't go there with a specific purchase in mind.