Down & out in Port aux Basques...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by gpothoven, Jun 22, 2006.

1. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    Best wishes of fast recovery for both of you. I'm betting that broken/strained ankles are about the most painful/can't-do-anything-but-wait injury... you'll both be back on bikes soon, I hope.

Nfld is gorgeous; a trip there in '96 really whetted my appetite to see it again with more time to explore. gpothoven, how about some pics from where you are?
  2. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
    Yes, I hear it is... but this is all I've seen so far! Actually hurt myself in Nova Scotia and thought I was ok. The pain hit me on the ferry over, and this is the first hotel I found on arrival at 3am. Been stuck here ever since.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    BMW's GS1 boot has great lateral support and stiffness, but with an articulated pivot that really makes it comfortable for long days. Got me some seriously blown out ankles after years of basketball, ones that make the physio folks call out to their colleagues "Hey y'all, come look at this!" :bluduh These boots work.
  4. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    Those were the ones I was thinking of. Got to make sure that the new ankle layout will fit in them.
  5. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    They're not the only makers of such articulated boots, with any luck you'll find ones that work.
  6. Steverino

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

These look pretty protective.
  7. Steverino

Oddometer:
    These look even more protective....

[​IMG]

Aint cheap, but then again neither is my ankle.

Check out newenough.com for some great boots GPT....:thumb
  8. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
    Yup, $413, not cheap. But they do look Robocop tough.

And $345 for the BMW GS2 boots
    [​IMG]
  9. Colpitts

Colpitts poop

Oddometer:
    Hey whats up? I'm the dude on the DRZ that stopped in to see your bike at the hotel!

I just figured I'd wish you a quick recovery and a good luck on the rest of your trip.

PS:if your up to it I'd highly recomend the abondoond rail bed(starts on the backside of that parking lot your in!) It's a groomed ATV trail now that goes right up the coast. Very scenic, if you like that sort of thing.

Peace out!
  10. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
    Hey!! Thanks, hopefully wil get going soon. Will see how the foot feels. She's a big girl and she's pretty heavy in gravel, and not sure I'll be able to handle hard foot plants to keep her in place for a while. We'll see...
  11. Colpitts

Colpitts poop

Oddometer:
    I should warn you about the loose gravel on the old rail bed. There are a few sections with some whoops and wheeler ruts; not good for healing ankles! We drove some road down the west coast and it was a good ride even for the DRZ. Lots of turns and hills. It would be a blast on the BMW.
  12. Coolhand

Coolhand Puck slapping maplesucker

Oddometer:
    Ill second that. The gs fully loaded is going to be a handfull on the loose gravel....its a handfull on a light ds bike. given the ankle situation, its probably best avoided.