Downieville.DAZE! June 25-28, 2015

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by catfish, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Rustler

Rustler Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the offer Brent. I'm sure the concert attendees appreciate it as well. I got it covered.

Nice hot showers at the state park just east of Tahoe City. These trips have one main purpose, to reawaken my inner Tahoe mountain man.
    Otherwise, Dan Hauserman, Skip Reedy, or Greg Felich might think I have become a "city boy". :hmmmmm

"Zee cabbage does not run away from zee corn-beef." - Pepe Le Pew
  2. GreeNug

GreeNug 210x2

Oddometer:
    Thanks, doing good & already feeling better, should be riding very soon.

It's more the lack of available parts for this damn Beta #1 and spending the $ to buy em'. Haha. With no one to split costs with things were getting pricy quick.

Have fun out there guys!
  3. Slyko

Slyko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup!

We're still coming.

Now I've been to Downie so many times in the past I'm way ahead of the game. I've got a trail all mapped out. Camping on the other side of town. It's First Come, First Serve. We can actually ride from right from camp without a plate. Dinner at the Grubsteak. Thursday & Friday are our plans.

Dinner at Packer Lake Lodge sounds intriguing, I've visited that camp ground numerous times but never eaten at that spot. Good food is always nice but it's the company that makes it. It would be very good just to meet the Catfish.

Up from the cemetery, up Herkimer, Poker Flat, Sunshine Trail, then back down Granite. The next day doing Lavazola?

What trails are you guys planning on hitting? I'm thinking we might just miss each other? Our Friday is wide open as of right now.

Tell Dave Wood we miss him.
  4. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Been following David Wood on FB, and all his Idaho singletrack adventures

[​IMG]
    David Wood w/ JT Racing Founder John Gregory and his Idaho backcountry airstrip pad....

I'm heading back up to Idaho in Sept. for a another giant ass loop.

Juan
  5. Rustler

Rustler Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    See you folks in a few days, I lift off early tomorrow.

Got to get across the desert before the thermometer goes up to "Are you kidding me?".

This ones for the youngsters.

<iframe width="150" height="75" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KyFe5m2MU9Q?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  6. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've attached a GPX file with waypoints. The ".Packsaddle.CG" waypoint is the 1st on the list.

Several Adv/DS tracks are included, but none of the technical singletrack. We'll discuss those & have tracks in camp.

Hopefully this works.

Catfish ...

Attached Files:

7. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Fresh oil change , air filter cleaning , fuel filter, washed and red to go...I'll haul ass up Sat AM from Nevada City b4 key time and camp out fer the weekend with u F.F's...

Juan
  8. catfish

Oddometer:

Ms.Beta got new oil-pump gears, oil, filter, front tire, and cleaned her carb.

With the hot weather returning (DRAT!), we should be riding by 8AM.
    Joe said his Friday ride starts at 7:30AM! :eek1

Downieville forecast

Packer Lake forecast

Sooo, I'll be leaning towards ... singletrack mornings, DS afternoons, swim before dinner. :clap

Bring MORE firewood everyone! And those musical instruments for joining in with the Juan & Steve show. :strum :freaky

If I make it down to Downieville's heat, I think a Death-by-Chocolate milkshake will be calling my name! :jkam

Arriving either Wednesday evening or Thursday morning. May ride Monday morning before departure if anyone interested. :ricky

Catfish ...
  9. Baja_Joe

Baja_Joe Gone Riding....

Oddometer:
    Well.... I am out.:cry

Campsite #07 is now open.

If I can get away I will just ride over for the day and come find you guys.

Catfish, please cancel my reservation at the Lodge for Friday night.

I wish everyone a fun safe ride.

Cheers

Baja Joe
  10. ravine

ravine Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Baja Joe, Sorry you're out for the whole extravaganza. Hope you can make it over for a day trip.

Catfish, could you hold off cancelling that reservation? I just got confirmation that my buddy is going to be joining the festivities and would like to have dinner with us Friday night. He's not a moto rider and we'll be doing a Friday morning mountain bike ride. I'm in for a moto ride Saturday.

11. catfish

Oddometer:

:cry I was so looking forward to riding with & talking to you again. I sure hope you can sneak away for a day ride & find us.

You had me intrigued about that 150-mile Friday ride you were planning. Care to share the trail/road sequence with us? :evil

No problem on the Friday dinner reservation. Now I don't have to call & change anything. :clap

We're getting CLOSE folks! Please reply with your arrival date,
    & whether you are sharing in Sat. potluck dinner.

Cell phones don't work in this area. Some can get random txt.msgs on top of ridges or at lookouts.

Pay phones ($2 in quarters for 1 minute, if I recall correctly) in Downieville, Bassetts, & in the parking lot of the Packer Lake Lodge. Wifi at the pizza place in Downieville.

Ms.Beta is ready. Pack & load today. Driving up early Thursday morning. Anyone for a Thursday afternoon ride?

Catfish ...
  12. ravine

ravine Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We're arriving Thursday late afternoon via Sierraville so no moto ride for me.

Mrs Ravine is making corn bread tomorrow morning. I will put that in the cooler so we can have that for Saturday potuck.

New Pirelli mt43 trials tire is mounted on the 500 and it is ready to go.
  13. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    Still need to do an oil change and my tire is damn near bald. I will be up sometime Friday. Haven't figured out what to bring for Saturday yet.
  14. Dirty Devil

Dirty Devil What's in the bag?

Oddometer:
    Hi. I am in. I plan to arrive on Thursday around 10:00 AM. Richard the wheelie king will also be driving up around the same time. We are hoping to share a camp spot (two trucks) or get one of the newly available sites, or we will go to overflow.

Had not heard about the sat. potluck, may have to grab something to share on the way up.

Mr. Fish, we would be very up for a Thursday afternoon ride.
  15. Spartan

Spartan It's All Attitude

Oddometer:
    I'll be there Thurs pm after a downhill mountain bike ride.

Italian sausages for the Sat pot luck.

Jim
  16. catfish

Oddometer:

Mmmm... home-made corn bread Mmmm... :dg

A bald rear tire sounds like an adventure alright! :wink:

A close friend will be up on Saturday with some cookies from her husband's bakery. Hopefully enough! More desserts, appetizers, or just some DARK CHOCOLATE! :tb :thumb

Coming in on Thursday morning, there's a good chance that sites 1 & ? (the ones closest to the CG entrance) might be available. They are 1st come,1st-serve only. Can't be reserved like the rest of CG.

The Wheelie King, 'eh? :evil

Since you are trucking, maybe another side dish, like a rice+veg or potato+veg, or whatever.

Thanks Jim! Seeya Thursday!

Catfish ...
  17. F250Pal

F250Pal Cunning Stunts

Oddometer:
    I'll be there tomorrow late afternoon. I'm in for dinner Friday at the lodge, please.
  18. F250Pal

F250Pal Cunning Stunts

Oddometer:
    I'll bring a couple of pies and a gallon of ice cold milk for Saturday night.
  19. catfish

Oddometer:

We'll try to add you to the 7:15PM reservation. That's 2 more today!

Mmmm... PIES & milk!!! Excellent! :clap

YIKES!!! :eek1 Its time to take a shower & go to bed!

Catfish ...
  20. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will be arriving Thursday late afternoon/early eve. Bringing a strawberry-rhubarb pie and a couple bottles of wine for Sat potluck. Will plan to grab some firewood on the way up, too.