Downieville.DAZE! June 25-28, 2015

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by catfish, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Dirty Devil

Dirty Devil What's in the bag?

Oddometer:
    Had a really good time. Got some good photos and uploaded them to smugmug, but can't figure how to attach more than one at a time.

Russel, you are a gamer.

Attached Files:

2. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    Right click, copy image url, click the little picture of the mountains in the toolbar at the top of your "reply" window, paste.
  3. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    copy the IMG code from Smugmug, paste the IMG code here.
  4. Dirty Devil

Oddometer:
  5. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got into camp on Thursday. As did Jim (Spartan), Gene (TeamJunk), Jack (Ravine), Hugh, Gary (F250Pal),
    Brent (Brents347), Chris (miks), Mike (fletch123), Wayne (Dirty Devil), & Russell (Rustler). What a CREW!

Jim was the only one I had ridden with before, so lotsa intros & chatter. Had a minor campfire & libations
    that night. Asked folks to be ready for an 8am departure. Needed to beat the heat to Downieville & get
    back in time for a swim & dinner reservations!

FRIDAY!

The CHIRPING birds woke me about 5:30AM. Bastards! Slowly got going, had breakfast, & got ready for
    the ride. Most everyone was stirring & a truck load went somewhere for breakfast? :huh

Today's plan was to ride to Downieville via the Classic Downhill trails, up Saddle Mtn to the lookout,
    around Chimney Rock, down Empire Creek & Lavezolla back to Downieville. Then 49 & NF93 back to
    Packer Saddle & camp.

Jack & Hugh were planning to mtnbike the Mills Peak ST trails today.

Wayne & Russell had done the Classic downhill yesterday, so they were going down 93 & meet us in
    Downieville for the rest of the ride.

The rest of us (7) headed down Butcher Ranch Trail Extension not long after 8am! :ricky

Got down to the Pauley Creek Trail and rode over to the bridge for a splash in the creek. MAN that water
    was SO COLD, but it felt SO GOOD!!! :clap

Told the group they didn't have to follow me at my pace & pointed down the trail. Mike leaped at the
    chance & Gary followed!

Down the rest of BT trail & 3rd Divide to Lavezolla Rd. Mike & Gary headed up for Rattlesnake. A few
    took the road into town, while the rest of us took 1st divide to town. :ricky

Met up with Wayne & Russell, refilled camelbaks, & doused heads with water again. Rode up Saddle
    Mtn. Rd. to the lookout & talked to the man.

Next we rode up to the beginning of the Chimney Rock trail and stopped for lunch in the shade.

[​IMG]

Then it was time!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qjruJvJgy30?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

Jim & I got to the end of Chimney Rock Trail, took off the plastic, & had a nice long break. A really long break.
    Where the hell are the rest of them? There are five of them back there. We started to question whether we
    should go back to help.

[​IMG]

Then we heard a 2-stroke coming. 2 of them actually. WTF?!? As they pulled off their helmets, we learned they
    had helped Russell get the 650L back on the trail and he was resting to catch the others. We talked & waited
    more as those 2 ate lunch. Then Chris, Mike, & Gary arrived. Mike & Gary had gotten help from the 2-stroke
    guys on Rattlesnake. Then Mike & Gary caught Russell & helped him get the 650L back on the trail AGAIN! Russell
    was resting when they continued.

Finally Gene, Brent, Wayne, & Russell arrived and they rested. Down Empire Creek singletrack next, but Mike &
    I pointed Russell to the road that parallels the trail for an easier way down.

Riding _down_ the Empire Creek Trail is SWEET! I rode sweep on this leg as I wanted to be sure everyone got
    down to Lavezolla OK. I heard Russell heading down the road after that last time the trail crossed it.

Rode down to Downieville again, but its HOT this time! Parked in the shade and marched over to Smoothieville!
    I walked in the door and ordered a "Death by Chocolate" milkshake. He smiled and started checking for the
    necessary incredients. Then he frowned and said he was out of the crunchie bits. Said he could only make a
    "Coma by Chocolate" milkshake. I said sign me UP! :clap OMG that was SO GOOD!!! :jkam

Took another upper-body splash at the water fountain (Ahhhh!!!), and we saddled up. East on 49 to NF93
    up the side of the mountain. Wait the dust to clear and let it RIP! The early section with the water bars
    was serious FUN! Over the Packer Saddle and down to camp, we arrived a little after 4pm.

Hobbes rode in while we were out & Sally arrived just after us. Changed into the swim suits and headed for
    Packer Lake. :clap

[​IMG]
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! :D Downieville trails in June require a good swimmin' hole to refresh!

Back to camp & time for cocktails! Absolute & tonic, with a big piece of lime. Mmmm!!!
    Ok, maybe 2 before dinner! :freaky

About 7 we headed to the Lodge for dinner. We had grown from the initial 5 to 12 for dinner! 15 last year.
    I think they like us!

[​IMG]
    Photo from last year as I forgot my camera at dinner AGAIN! :huh D'OH!!! :rofl

Dinner & conversations were great! :dg The desserts were even better! :tb

THANKS Hugh for buying me dinner! You're a gentleman & a scholar ... and there are damn few of us left! :freaky

Back to camp, Brice (LongTallSally) had started a nice fire and we settled in with libations & conversation. :kumbaya

68yo Wayne gets the Old-Phart(tm) Award for tackling Downieville trails! Great riding Wayne! I hope I'm still riding as well in 8 years!

Russell, what can I say? Only a year behind me, you're no spring chicken. Rode the XR650L from So.Cal with camping gear, down the Downieville Classic, and across Chimney Rock the next day! Then rode it home! WOW! You're an ANIMAL! I hope you can make it next year!

GREAT DAY everyone! THANKS!!! Friday down, Saturday up tomorrow.

Catfish (Mike) ...
  6. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
  7. Dirty Devil

Oddometer:
    Thanks Razr. See ya at WMRC.
  8. Spartan

Spartan It's All Attitude

Oddometer:
    Catfish and everyone, thanks for a great ride. I must be getting old cause after 3 days I was tired and done riding. I made a quick decision to head home and nobody was around to tell. I'll get my chair next time we connect for a dirt ride.

Count me in for the 3rd annual next year!

Jim
  9. catfish

Oddometer:

Yea Wayne, Hobbes' method is the easiest way. Display your photo in smugmug at size you want, right-click, copy image link, goto advrider editor, click on little-photo-of-Mtn icon in the toolbar, and then paste (Ctrl-V) in the image link you copied above. Its just a link to read the image from smugmug when displayed. Not attached at all. Good luck!

Jim, THANKS for coming along again, and for sneaking your sausages into my cooler. They are GREAT Saturday night!

Oh, its your chair! :lol3 You're just trying to out do Anders. He left me his chair last year! :rofl

I think we've found the right weekend...

Last weekend in June next year too! Mark your calendars! :clap

On with the ride report ...

SATURDAY!

I forgot my earplugs again and those CHIRPING birds woke me again at 5:30AM! Grrr...

Folks moved slower this morning. Juan & Steve were due in. Juan will lead a good singletrack ride today.

I wanted to take DS/ADV crowd over to the Tamarack Lakes, Hobbes' Sierra Mystery Tree, and then up to the Sierra Buttes Lookout. In the morning before it got hot. Then go explore some dirt roads & jeep trails above Butcher Ranch Road & east of Pauley Creek.

Mike, Gary, Chris, Brice, & Steve followed Juan up Deer Lake Road.

Jim, Jack, Gene, Wayne, Brent, & Hobbes followed me towards Tamarack Lakes. Nice easy jeep trail. Err, who added the rocks? OOPS! :shog Some are NOT going to like these! D'OH! :eek1

Stopped at the lower Tamarack Lake and took a few photos while waiting for others to arrive.

[​IMG]
    Picture postcard stuff up here! :clap

More arrived and talked of others having difficulties in the rocky climbs. OOPS!

Rode to the upper Tamarack Lake for a quick photo;

[​IMG]

Rode back down the trail just as Brent was heading up again on his 950. He looked like we made it fine. Met the rest at the bottom & learned of Brent's flat rear tire and that he was headed back to camp to get the mighty TW200!

The rest of us headed towards the mystery swing! Apparently rode right by it while my GPS said it was still another 100 feet ahead of me. D'OH! Hobbes noticed it and got us back on track.

[​IMG]
    Wayne gives the swing a try.

[​IMG]
    Ms.Beta wanted in the photo, but she noticed everyone ELSE was preoccupied with their 1st cell signals of the day! :huh :rofl

[​IMG]
    Gene's turn!

[​IMG]
    Hobbes takes her turn!

Then it was back up the mountain to the Buttes & the Lookout!

Should have gotten a picture of the gate. It was open, but maybe not technically. The lock & chain at that end were still in place. The hinge pins at the swinging end were missing. The gate has been dragged out of the way. That made it legal, right? :evil

[​IMG]
    Sure are a LOT of stairs to climb at 8500 feet! :eek1

[​IMG]
    Then more rocks & stairs to climb YET!

[​IMG]
    Ahhh, but the VIEWS are worth the climb! :clap Packer Lake in the trees.

[​IMG]
    Upper & Lower Sardine Lakes with little Volcano Lake to the right. Nice 4x4 trail to Upper Sardine for a swim.

[​IMG]
    Looking straight down to the trail & motos below ...

[​IMG]
    The Pacific Crest Trail winding its way up from the Yuba River Canyon.

[​IMG]
    More of the Sierra Buttes with the Jackson Meadows Reservoir way in the back.

We rode back to Packer Saddle and most went on to camp. Jim & Jack stopped with me & we decided to ride a little more before lunch.

Took the Butcher Ranch Extended Trail to Butcher Ranch Road north past the ohv trails. Nice big open gravel road. 2wd cars could pull trailers down this. We turned west on the Gold Valley 4x4 trail to Pauley Creek. A little rocky in places, but a nice alternative to riding back up Butcher Ranch Trail at the end of a hot day.

Returned to camp for a nice lunch. Hans rode in. Brice returned from the ST ride with clutch actuation woes. Had a nice visit. Then I remembered I wanted to go explore the roads to the north & east. Took NF 9 east from Gold Lake Road and followed various roads to Mills Peak Lookout.

[​IMG]
    Spring colors above 6800 feet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sierra Buttes thru the haze.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Long Lake in the distance.

[​IMG]
    Nothing but motos going this way back to camp!

Many forest roads & meadows in the Lake Basin area. Just gorgeous & easy stuff for anyone to ride.

Headed back to camp, and off to Packer Lake for my afternoon swim. :D Ahhh! :thumb

Juan and the ST crowd returned, and it was PARTY time! The beers, wine, & vodka flowed!

The snacks & food started to appear. The big tri-tip went on the grill. Steve brought over corn-on-the-cob. Many pies, snacks, & cookies! Then Jim's sausages went on the grill & some potatoes-n-green beans in a skillet.

Potluck was served and EATEN!!! Build & lit a proper Saturday-night fire. More drinking & stories by the fire.

[​IMG]

Steve had some good music on Brice's boomey-box. He & Juan occasionally joined in singing. :kumbaya They did not get shit-faced enough to drag out the instruments though. :doh Pies & cookies were consumed. A good Saturday night.

Catfish ...
    slowerthanu likes this.
  10. catfish

Oddometer:
    SUNDAY morning most everyone still here was packing for the drive/ride home. I wandered around visiting & looking for someone to ride with. Chris was game for more singletrack this morning, so we finished camp stuff & got dressed.

Said good-bye to everyone and we hit the trails to Downieville! The early part flows well, but the rocks & heat can be tiring. Stopped at Pauley Creek for a good COLD-morning splash! YES!!! :clap

Continued down Butcher Ranch Trail to 3rd Divide, Lavezolla Rd, and 1st Divide into town. COOL trails! :ricky

Wow, it sure is HOT down here already! Rode to the other end of town & walked over to Smoothieville for my chocolate milkshake...

CLOSED? OUT OF ICE CREAM?!? WTF?!? AAACK!!! I was gutted!!!

Walked into the country store across the street and looked for their ice cream. I got the last Cherry Garcia in the place! YES!!!

We cooled off in the shade & doused ourselves at the water fountain again. Chris had not been to the Buttes or mystery swing yet, so we climbed back up the mountain on NF93, right on Butcher Ranch Road past the Lookout turn-off, and on to the swing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4EnMMetMZ1E?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Crank UP the sound so you can hear his helmet SMACK just before the end! :lol3 :rofl

Up to the Buttes Lookout next.

[​IMG]
    Oh, look at the rock with stuff written on it ...

[​IMG]
    Go Bill GO!!!

[​IMG]
    2nd & 3rd stairways to Heaven? (Pant-PANT!!!)

We got some sprinkles at the lookout, but no thunder or lightning. Rode back down the mountain and back to camp. Chris packed for home as I relaxed in the shade, put some tunes on, and had a nice lunch.

Chris said his good-byes, and I had the place to myself. Went to Packer Lake for one last swim (Ahhh!) and loaded Ms.Beta in the truck. Had a quiet evening and dinner. Had plenty of firewood left, so ...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1xS_KDuUO4E?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It rained very lightly Sunday night, but I finally remembered to put my ear plugs in. Slept like a log until 7am. YES!!! :clap

THANKS Jim, Jack, Hugh, Gene, Chris, Wayne, Russell, Gary, Brent, Mike, Brice, Hobbes, Hans, Steve, & Juan for a GREAT weekend!

Let's do it again next year! Same Bat-Time, same Bat-Channel(tm)! :wink:

Catfish ...
  11. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    Thanks Catfish! Had a great time and can't wait til next year.
  12. poomero

poomero Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like an amazing weekend.
  13. catfish

Oddometer:

OOPS! Plan K (knee is in charge, monkeyboy)!

Torn meniscus in left knee last September, arthro-ed Dec.30th. Slowly getting better (I think), but no where near good enough for Downieville trails this June. :-(

Riding Mtb & short-easy dirt riders on Ms.Beta so far. Might be ready for a Lake Alpine DS Camp & Ride in August. I'm post a ride announcement if I can swing it.

Have fun at Downieville without me this year!

Catfish ...
    slowerthanu and visualizerent like this.
  14. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bummer! I tore my ACL years ago and know how that can put a damper on things for a while. Hope your recovery goes well.
  15. OffRoadRider15f

OffRoadRider15f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Torn meniscus surgery, November 30, 2015. Back on the bike December 30, 2015.

Esophagus surgery March 8th, back on the bike in three weeks. Doctor said I could do an "easy" ride. Only 34 miles, easy, right?

I am back on the stationary bike, one day after surgery. This past weekend, 3 1/2 weeks post surgery, I raced the Boise Vintage Inter-AM, on a 74 CZ400.

Waiting six months plus, to get back on your dirt bike, following meniscus surgery, is just plain lazy.
    slowerthanu and focallength like this.
  16. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:
    Right...

I tore mine, coach said, walk it off. Knee the size of a softball.

2 weeks on crutches and it still bothers me from time to time almost 25 years later...

So, is this thing happening or what? Cuz if it aint I may head to baja that weekend.

Same same...
  17. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:

where is this "enduro" trail?
  18. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    when is the 2016 version ????
    1224R likes this.
  19. catfish

Oddometer:
    I think the knee is healing OK. However, my immune system thinks my knee is DYING every time I stand/walk/hike/stand-on-dirbike for more than 2 hours. Fluid collects at 3-4 hours & I'm limping off to Winceville for the next 24 hours! Long past ibuprofen doing anything. On Mobic & cortisone shots to try to control inflammation.

Dave! Good to hear from you. You are driving me CRAZY with all those Idaho-st videos! I hoped to be ready for the Jungle & Grinch tour with you this year, but that ain't going to happen. Maybe next year.

I never stopped riding motos or my mtbs. I just can't stand on the pegs for very long. I stayed off Ms.Beta because I knew I'd ride it too long & make things worse. I'm on the mtb every day for 2 hours, but that does not load or inflame the knee.

You are an inspiration Dave, and I hope to ride with you again next year. :-)

Yeap, we are all different!

No, I'm not leading/planning a 2016 Downieville ride.

Not just the knee ... I've been asked by a very-pretty & FAST grrl to come up to Washington & chase her around "The Ridge" race track for 2 days! On that weekend. How can I say no? I can sit on the FZ07 all day! :-)

1st track day in 12 years back in Feb.

http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web160227/72/imagepages/image14.html

[​IMG]

:-)

June is a little hot in Baja for me, but I love it down there in Feb. & March!

Not one from me this year. Sorry. :-( I need to get better & come down & ride with you guys again. Can you get up to Shuteye again yet?

THANKS for the thoughts everyone & sorry about Downieville this year. I promise last weekend in June in 2017 for the next one.

Catfish ...
  20. focallength

focallength Certifiable

Oddometer:

Good luck with the knee, I know it sucks.
    Good luck with the girl too :thumb