Downieville Trails, Gold Lake camping, July 17-21, 2014

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by catfish, May 20, 2014.

1. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Is it tomorrow yet? I'm gonna try and catch you guys Thurs AM before you head out riding.
    Juan

2. TroopThrowback

TroopThrowback Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    OK the fun's already started, only 50 miles of beautiful Downieville singletrack today primarily due to the heat and the D.T's as happy hour fast approached...6 riders today lead by none other than local AA enduro legend and trail master Dave Wood. Lots to learn here...
    [​IMG]
    DAVE WOOD
    [​IMG]
    BIRTHDAY BOY-CATFISH FAR LEFT

[​IMG]
    JOE, JIM, ANDERS

[​IMG]
    DAVE WOOD, JIM, ANDERS, BAJA JOE

[​IMG]
    YERS TRULY COOLING OFF IN PAULEY CREEK

A deluge of a thunderstorm hit at dinner time today (Thurs), so the trails should be perfect this weekend.

[​IMG]
    EVENING DELUGE

I'll be back up Sat AM. 0800hrs for a 0900 key time

Juan
    Nevada City
  4. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
  5. Skippii

Skippii Milkshakes, my lad.

Oddometer:
    I MIGHT make the dinner at 7. Not in the right state yet.
  6. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Keep paddling...I hear banjos...

7. Skippii

Skippii Milkshakes, my lad.

Oddometer:
    Apparently Downieville is not the best place to try riding Singletrack for the first time in my life.
    I was expecting something more like a tight narrow track through the forest.
    Instead, here's what you guys consider an easy route.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XORMBIm7DX8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I bailed very shortly into the first ride, realizing I was in over my head and riding worse than normal anyway and this could make for a bad day for all of us. After a milkshake I started feeling and riding better on some jeep routes.

Thanks to fantastic instruction from Dave and Mike I learned more in that day than the previous 6,000 miles of my trip.
    I spent this morning riding the easier butcher ranch extension over and over, then rode the OHV trail, practicing those techniques.
    At first, I felt a little frustrated about making a 2,000 mile detour off my route and not actually getting to ride any with you guy. Not anymore - totally worth it noticing how my tight cornering is significantly better.

But, no, I still have not, and probably never will do that "do a stoppie with the bars at full lock and use you legs to kick the bike 180* while the back is in the air" technique.

I had a great time meeting and riding with you, and hope to see you all again in the future.

Made it to San Frasisco this evening, will try to post some pics tomorrow.
  8. junglemototours

junglemototours trailplug

Oddometer:
    Catfish got older?
    Dave Wood really exists?
    It rained?
    Wish this work thing didn't get in my way.....
  9. fletch123

fletch123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, you might not be great at tight st, but you are no doubt a master at the long haul. I hear tell you rode 36 hrs straight to make it on a DRZ no less. Quite a feat in my book.[​IMG]
  10. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Skippii yer a great sport! and long distance endurance rider. Love the Hobbit analogy!

Plus you give a great interview...check it out..."fun with Skippii"
    <IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PRfT8h4Eaak" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

We'll keep track of your TAT Milkshake Tour here...http://www.skippii.com/

Juan
    Nevada City

11. StevefrmGV

StevefrmGV MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer:
    Good to meet you Skipii. Keep on Truckin!!
  12. fletch123

fletch123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good interview Juan, I would have liked to meet Skipii in person and was planning on it until I blew up the YZ on the county rd and had to be picked up in Downieville. Never ignore the death rattle.
    Heard Little Wan stub her toe on Butcher Ranch. Hope it was not actually broken. Looking forward to more vids from Downieville Daze since I didn't make it.

Catfish I know Sharpie and Paul stopped by but didn't sing happy birthday to ya. I told them to but I guess they were to pre occupied about my well being.

One last thing. A big thanks to the Mtbers that were driving back down to town and gave me a tow. I was thinking it would not be too hard to push my bike from beginning of 1st divide to town. You wouldn't think there is that much up hill going down hill but there is. They must of felt sorry for me, seeing me push a dirt bike in my bare feet. Gaerne's are good boots for riding, but really suck to walk in.
  13. chrislitt

chrislitt Drinking the Orange Kool-Aid Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want to thank all of the Downieville veterans for showing me the country. That was some great riding and we did sing Happy Birthday to Catfish quite well at the Friday night dinner of some 15 or so well wishers. Here is a not so great quality photo of Mr. Catfish enjoying the honors!

[​IMG]

Some more of my favorite photos...

[​IMG]

Joe, Jim, Catfish, Anders (without the L and thank you for the help!), and the smoothest thing on two wheels I have ever seen, Dave.
    [​IMG]

Many thanks to Juan for a fun day of riding on Saturday!
    [​IMG]

We cemented our brotherhood by changing his rear tube Saturday afternoon. And darn if history didn't come calling in the form of a portion of a square nail in his tire.
    [​IMG]

It was a special honor to ride with Dave Wood on Friday and enjoyed finding out that he has relatives living on the same road I grew up on way up in northern California.

The weekend was a treat. To meet so many interesting people due to a birthday ride posting is sorta unbelievable. Let's do something similar again!!
  14. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Hey fletch, sorry we missed you. The 950 would have made it there. :evil

It was a huge disappointment, but we only got to do a tiny part of Dave's suggested loop. :cry
    Matt was doing really well but my stupid fat foot fucked us up.
    I think it was actually on Third Divide - there was some dust and neither Matt nor I saw the rock lurking on the side...

I nailed the rock with my right foot and the hit was hard enough to knock me out of my seat.
    my foot bounced between the bike and more rocks until I could get re-situated.
    (yes, dave, I try and keep my toes tucked in - but with the angle of my knees/pegs I can't keep them tucked continuously.
    it's just too hard on my joints. It's always a problem on singletrack)

I wish Matt could have left me at camp and continued riding, but that would have meant a long night in my boots.
    So, the rest of the ST will have to wait for another time (not 2up).

It took us 4.5 hrs to ride home and I didn't want to spend saturday night in the ER.
    Went to the doctor today and it's not good. In addition to being purple and bloated like a rotting cadaver foot,
    my big toe is dislocated in 2 directions - up and to the side, and I broke a bone.
    It's the 2nd time that bone has been broken and this time I get a rod.
    Surgery next monday, toe stays dislocated until then.

Some Xrays:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey Catfish - did you find your gift? Matt says he left in the back of your truck, left of the stove, near the lighter.
    I really hope you got it.
    Don't read anything into it, there's no message - just thought it was silly and fun and I was pretty sure you didn't already have one of those. :lol3
    (in case you couldn't figure out WTF it was - it's hand knit toilet paper. Not for using, just for decoration!)
    Happy Birthday!!
    :freaky

Anyway, aside from smashing my foot, I had a good time!
    Everyone was super friendly and it was nice to put faces to screen names.
    Really enjoyed friday's dinner and hanging out with some inmates.
    Thanks so much to BajaJoe for the use of the map - I know you said we could keep it, but if you want it back, shoot me a PM.
    I think Bartek might have it? not sure, but I can find out.

Nice meeting everyone, and Skippii, enjoy the rest of your milkshake tour!
    :beer
  15. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Little Wan thanks for the quick update. Lotsa folks thinking about you. Get better soon.
    Come join us on a machine of your own!

We finally got Birthday Boy Mike up to Chimney Rock trail on Sunday. Real nice ride. Mike is an unflappable rider. "Safety Break!"

[​IMG]
    CHIMNEY ROCK-JUAN, STEVE, MIKE ON SUNDAY

Chris and I had a great 80 mile loop Saturday on the KTM 350 EXC-F's
    [​IMG]
    Deer Creek up to A Tree, down Lavazolla, up Empire Creek, across Chimney Rock, down Saddleback (flat tire), Downieville, up 3rd divide, Pauley Creek, Butcher ranch to camp. (phew!)

Here's our Chimney Rock crossing on Saturday with Chris-narrated.
    <IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dGc91lt9GfU?list=UUphqjYZxxzjNbONVmY-0J7Q" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Here's what happens when you hit a slow 'roller' on a downhill switchback...from Saturday's ride leaving Chimney Rock.

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j3sSv0fMvyc" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
    DOH!

[​IMG]
    Great time, great trails and scenery. Excellent, diverse and interesting company.

Lets do it again! Dare I suggest an annual event?

Moe pics here...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/40372713@N02/sets/72157645861304973/

Juan
    Nevada City
  16. slowerthanu

slowerthanu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for the videos juan they are cool!it looked like you did a forward flip,that was crazy looking,ive done that before it was a unatural feeling.one of these days i need to ride there. adam
  17. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got home last night after exploring more of the lakes on Monday. EPIC ride, trails, new friends, & old friends. :clap

The house AC died while I was playing, so here are a couple of teasers while I get back to troubleshooting! :doh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2epf1JahvhI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

THANKS everyone! More photos & reports soon!

Catfish ...
  18. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
  19. Hobbes950

Hobbes950 Darth Kitten

Oddometer:
    Looks like a real fun time, except Little Wan. What kind of boots do you wear? I was just lamenting the overkill on my hard boots because it is a pain to shift with them but now I am thinking I will stick with them. Hope everything heals ok and you are back on the bike soon!

Juan, loved all the videos. Especially your "gymnastical effort." Nice perspective on the flying W.
  20. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    I rode through there at 9am Friday morning, everyone must have been out riding... Had a camper take a pic for proof...

[​IMG]

I did leave a note, however. :D

[​IMG]