Downieville Trails, Gold Lake camping, July 17-21, 2014

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by catfish, May 20, 2014.

1. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:

Imho, the "right hands" are attached to less than 1-2% of all 950/990s. :evil

Oso Loco are the exception to every rule. :thumb We should not tempt mere mortals to follow your lead! :eek1 :lol3 :rofl :freaky

Take care & let me know when your foot is healed up. I know some more singletrack that you would LOVE, and not so rocky.

Catfish ...
  2. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    haha, OK, I see your point. :shog

And we definitely don't want yahoos on big bikes tearing up the trails.
    I don't want to be responsible for that, Dave would be pissed. :nono

here's one more pic of you and your birthday pie...

[​IMG]

I'm working on healing, got a pin holding my big toe together and the rod is in place...(yucky foot pic here)
    Will let you know next time we head up there.

Less-rocky singletrack sounds good. :D

thanks, and I hope the remodel is going well.
    kelly
    :freaky
  3. catfish

Oddometer:

Yea, Dave has spent years trying to keep those trails open & ride-able. Just like the Stewards of the Sequoia
    down south, it takes a well-run volunteer organization to maintain these trails to motorized standards. The
    National Forests don't have the budget or skills to do it by themselves.

Thanks for the photo! :clap There really was a nice BIG piece of blackberry pie in that bowl, but the HUGE pile of
    ice cream hid it well! :yum :dg

I had to look. That's not as bad as I was expecting! You'll be playing soccer again in no time! :rofl

The living room is filled with new bathroom stuff, the bedroom has a pallet of tile, and the contractor is scheduled for September.

Ms.Beta gets a rest in August while Ms.Caponord & I (& PNW friends) go play in Oregon, Washington, & Idaho for three weeks. :ricky

Take care!

Catfish ...
  4. Skippii

Skippii Milkshakes, my lad.

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    Before I left, one of the guys from Reno offered to show me some easier singletrack stuff If I was in the reno area again... I think Marc or Brent... the one with the Kawasaki 400. (Sorry, I'm awful with names.) I was thinking about going into Reno tomorrow for another tire change if the offer is still open. Anyone know his username or phone #?
  5. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    [
    hey Skippi, try posting your request over here on the local Reno area Adv thread...
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601450&page=88

I bet youll get a taker!

Juan

QUOTE=Skippii;24811697]Hey guys,
    Before I left, one of the guys from Reno offered to show me some easier singletrack stuff If I was in the reno area again... I think Marc or Brent... the one with the Kawasaki 400. (Sorry, I'm awful with names.) I was thinking about going into Reno tomorrow for another tire change if the offer is still open. Anyone know his username or phone #?[/QUOTE]
  6. azimuth551

azimuth551 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Skippy,

I'll PM you with his phone#. Single track in our area is a blast and you won't die if you fall off the trail!
  7. Skippii

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    After Downieville and San Fransisco, I spent a full 3 days at Hollister Hills riding trails,including some singletrack, so at least now I've got a tiny bit of experience. And I've also got lower gearing now, which should help (although my bike isn't going to like hitting the highway to reno now...)
  8. Skippii

Oddometer:
    I just realized it's Sunday, and RMS is closed, so I guess I'll be getting to Reno Monday instead. That will work better for me anyway.
  9. azimuth551

azimuth551 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    During the week might be hard trying to get someone to ride. Just check with Mark and make a post of the Reno/Tahoe forum for anybody that wants to ride.
    Also, check out the Reno Dust Devils M/C club Forum, there are a few on there that go out during the week. Have to make a post for "impromtu rides", someone might chime in for you.

Can you change sprockets for the trip back up to the Reno area?
  10. Solemon Grundy

Solemon Grundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Skippi, Gimme a call or text at the number Brent gave you.
  11. chrislitt

chrislitt Drinking the Orange Kool-Aid Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did a date get suggested for the second annual in 2015? Maybe around the same time? The sooner a date gets selected the sooner it gets on the calendar ahead of anything else. Set a date and I will be back. That was a mostly fun weekend with an interesting group of people!
  12. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the awesome ride report guys and sorry to see Kelly's injured foot.

Looks painful - heal fast LittleWan!

Mike Z
  13. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Here's another chance to ride all these trails as a group this year,
    The Nevada County Woods Riders are hosting their annual Downieville Dual Sport/ Adventure ride on Sat. Sept 27, 2014.

http://www.woodsriders.org/

Cost $75 ($100 late entry) includes huge lunch, GPS tracks, camping?, and most importantly sweepers to pick up our remains.

The Dual Sport ride is like a 120 mile enduro if rode in it's entirety, includes much of Downieville's gnarliest singletrack.

The Adventure Ride is set up well for big bikes.

Probably stage out of Cal Ida and 49.

Juan (going back to ride the TID some more real soon)

[​IMG]
    CHRIS LIT ON TOP OF THE WORLD, DOWNIEVILLE
  14. kkug

kkug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guys what a great report. I am whooped.I looked at all the videos and am now familiar with the trails so I don,t have to risk rideing them LOL !!!

You will get me up their sometime but it won,t be this year.

Is the Downieville MTN bike trail the same as what you guys rode on your bikes ?

Later the "KUG"
  15. catfish

Oddometer:
    Just back in town after nearly 3 weeks on my Caponord.

For a summer ride and camp in the same area, I'd like to move the ride forward a month into June. Hopefully cooler temps. Maybe Father's Day or the following weekend. Does that sound OK?

I'll probably try 1-2 day rides out of Downieville in the fall or spring. Needs to be cooler yet to camp down there.

Anyone else wanna ride next June?

Maybe Oct. 18-19 , 2014 weekend?

Let me know if folks are interested in either or both.

Yeah, I'm working that weekend; but it sounds like a hell of a DS ride!

TID with Swarthy-Red-Beard?!? :eek1 I was in Boise on August 12, 13.

Maybe next year! Say Hi to Matt for me. We rode Mojave & Tahoe a few years ago. :ricky

THANKS Ken, but don't be an old pussy. You know you want to ride with Juan & I up there. Next June. Yes, the Downieville Classic Mtnbike trail is the same, but we can ride UP it too!

Catfish ...
  16. upsscott

upsscott Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to check in and say that you guys have ginormous cahones. I've ridden mountain bikes in Downieville for the last 20 years. Its because of a legit over the bars at high speed on Butcher that I've given up riding mountain bikes. So in need of a way around the hills I just bought a DRZ400. I honestly cannot believe you guys ride first and second divides. Blows my mind. Hats off!:1drink
  17. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    finally caught up.

thanks catfish, chris and juan for the rr.. belated happy birthday cat. no sign of slowing down...wohooo.

hahaha, there are just some places to see that i will be contended seeing them in pictures.

cheers!

can't wait to see the next adventure.
  18. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Joel, pictures just don't do justice to some places, ya gotta be there!:deal:wink:
  19. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    Hey Kug!

No worries, we can customize an easy, scenic, back in the saddle ride just for you next season.

I know about getting back in the saddle after a riding injury. With time, effort and dedication you will come back stronger than ever. (I know, we're all racing the clock w/ father time...)

Yea, the Downieville Classic MTB race is on the same trails.

Keep us posted of any more Baja adventures this winter/early spring.

Off to Idaho to not bust my ass...

JB
    [​IMG]
    TAMARACK LAKE, SIERRA COUNTY CA. KTM 350 EXC-F

20. OffRoadRider15f

OffRoadRider15f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Part 1 of 3.

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_uLc2rqfDzc" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>