download to Zumo SD card?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by roost, Nov 25, 2008.

1. roost

roost sorry about the rocks!

Oddometer:
    I need to download photos from my PC to an SD card. Can I send them to an SD card that I insert in my Garmin Zumo?
    I lost my camera so I don't have the option of using it and the Zumo is the only other thing I have that accepts an SD card.
  2. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the question is can you use your Zumo as an SD card reader the answer is yes.
  3. guzzigeezer

guzzigeezer Old wrinkly git

Oddometer:
    The zumo will show up as an extra drive on your PC when connected with a USB cable and an SD card inserted you can just drag and drop pictures and extra maps etc. i think that garmin quote a maximum size if 4GB.

One word of advice if using windows make sure you use the safely remove hardware app before unplugging from the PC i have had file system corruption a couple of times due to delayed writting to the SD card.

I'm not sure if it will recognise an SDHC card without it being re formatted but my NUVI happily reads a 16GB SDHC. Using a free app from HP to format the card.

If you are moving a lot of photos its worth buying a USB 2.0 card reader they are a lot quicker at transferring data and are really cheap. The nuvi is only USB 1.0 judging by transfer speed of maps etc.