1. Livestream NOW at 9pm EST / 6M PST! Any Questions for Marc?
    Baldy + Alta CEO & Co-Founder Marc Fenigstein YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Downloadable Baja maps for Android?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by Mikie1, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Mikie1

Mikie1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few years ago my last dedicated GPS unit bit the dust. Ever since, I've been using BackCountry Navigator on Android phones, and even a 7" Nexus tablet with good success. There are really good, downloadabe maps available for most of the US.

i understand the E32 maps are the best, most detailed maps available for Baja, but not for Android. We are planning a trip next month, basically back and forth across the Peninsula, in four days of riding a loop from San Quintin, to Catavina, to Bay of LA, to Gonzaga, and back to San Quintin.

I have a bunch of tracks for the areas we'll be riding, but no good background maps. Would like to be able to link the trails together, and to have decent background maps on my devices for the ride. Would also like something better than the default map in Basecamp to create the route.

Any suggestions? TIA.
  2. dcmetalsmith

dcmetalsmith n00b

Oddometer:
    With Avenza you can have the Nat Geo maps of Baja on your Android. Gaia has a decent base map with topo and features, you can overlay your GPX tracks on it. Both will work in airplane mode. A group of us are headed down in March and plan on using these two apps for navigation. Hope you have a great trip.
  3. rnrdozer

rnrdozer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m using LB maps on my garmin. It is surprisingly accurate. The only way I can get a detailed map to work on base camp is to plug my garmin into the computer and open the map tap and choose the map loaded on the GPS. Either E32 or in my case LB maps.
  4. GeeSser

GeeSser -----------

Oddometer:
    Navitel Navigator on the Play store has a map for mexico / Baja. It will accept .gpx and can also do autorouting. It shows most of the ranches as well. I use Navitel, OSM and Locus map for my android when in Baja
  5. paolalopez118

paolalopez118 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, I have not used BackCountry Navigator to navigate my territory, but not only here I have seen good recommendations about this app, I think I will start using it soon on my Android. Will it be very heavy? because I always like applications like movies for example
  6. patriciagon

patriciagon n00b

Oddometer:
    hello, when a ride a bike i really like do it without any gps divice or that time, i prefer lisent to a podcats on 123movie are so great