Downsizing To A Garagedominium !

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by dlrides, Mar 9, 2019.

1. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who’s done it ? If so, I would really like your feedback, regrets, likes, etc ..............

Been thinking of this for a few years, mid-fifties, engineering type, single for the past twenty two years and the foreseeable future, by choice ! Except for the occasional fly fishing/kayaking, I’m a typical gear head that rides motorcycles, enjoys all types of cars, vintage, hot rods, and modern. Fabricates/builds most everything myself, from cafe racers to hot rods. Currently live in a wonderful log house, two story, with two car garage and a separate garage/shop on nine acres. Hope to start construction in a month on a 2,520 sq ft dream garage with an 824 sq ft apartment, on two acres. Can’t wait !

Final lay-out rough sketches below, illustrated/engineered versions not complete.

97458F05-119D-47C1-BEA3-77B88139676E.jpeg 21DF743C-A395-4F6C-BA6C-E669EE37C575.jpeg

Longer version of this

0B2CFF07-8111-4A85-B7EC-75291FE6DA63.jpeg

6BBB8EF0-528D-4573-A965-38A2B861A132.jpeg
  2. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    I know a guy in NC who bought himself about a hundred acres in the country during the '90s and had a metal building erected on it, probably 40'x60'. He carved out a corner of the interior to live in, about 25% of the footprint, and is happily still living there. Bicycles, motorcycles, sailplanes, powerboats, etc. are what he likes. Don't know what's actually in the place.
  3. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make it square. 50x50 will have more floor space than 80x20 but still uses 200 feet of wall.
    kokemill, Effendi, ozmoses and 7 others like this.
  4. Andy_A

Andy_A Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You may want to consider a small island in the kitchen to sit and eat at instead of a table. They tend to fill up with crap.
  5. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    My garage/workshop is just less than half the house. 3000 sq ft. I was more interested in having a nice shop than the house. But I wanted it to look like one big building, instead of a house with a separate metal building or something. The garage is everything to the left of the middle (window above entry door) [​IMG]
    Bartimus, petersp, spokester and 15 others like this.
  6. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:

I have gone to bed with the smell of carb cleaner and gasoline still in the air, and I don't recommend it. I think it makes sense to really separate the living quarters.
  7. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    I thought of that as well when I built mine. I have a small breezeway between the garage and the living area. And glad now too. I have the wood furnace and wood boiler in the garage and a leaky door gasket on the wood boiler is really annoying me right now.
  8. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems like you would want a very tight air seal between the living quarters and the workshop to avoid that. A hallway with 2 doors that have a seal would be a good idea.
    dlrides likes this.
  9. dlrides

Oddometer:
    BTW - Design is final except for some code requirements for egress, etc. Quite possibly adding another door in hallway. Efficient and LOW maintenance driven.

Complete building is 2”x6” construction with steel roof and siding, 30 year warranty. One bay will have a 2 post lift, one a 4 post lift, one bay for motorcycles, the remaining bay for hot rod plus sports car with checker board floor. Complete garage insulated, walls finished w/painted plywood, heated, 2 exhaust fans, Behind the garage will be a 18’x40’ overhead shed for tractor, equipment, car hauler, utility trailer, work truck, etc.
    Centerlane, StanBo, Amphib and 3 others like this.
  10. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tables, islands, counters, floors, shelves, beds - you name it, it fills up with crap in my house.:(
    thebigman, MacG, wee-twin and 4 others like this.
  11. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Vaulted lids in the apartment, or storage above with access from the garage for your mechanicals? In-floor heat would rock.
    alvincullumyork and NEPA 450x like this.
  12. dlrides

Oddometer:
    I’m sort of a neat freak and can’t deal with a mess. I put everything up in its place when finished.

:nod
  13. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I don't know what your climate is like but I'd have a covered porch on the back too and a hell of a lot wider than 6'. I place a lot of value on being outside when possible.

Also, not sure on value of central hallway. Wouldn't it have made sense to flip bedrooms and living space to put that square footage to use in, I dunno, a bedroom that is more than 8' wide?

Sorry, just saw note that the plans are final. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
  14. dlrides

Oddometer:
    9’ ceiling in apartment with storage, accessible from garage. Garage ceiling 12’6” with no overhead storage. I will build 30’ of shelves along rear wall for needed items like my current garage. I don’t keep/store much.

Apartment pad will have a 2” insulated joint separating it from garage, and the complete perimeter insulated, as well as insulated under pad. Floor heat was considered, but in this region, didn’t seem needed. I talked to four contractors that has built similar, and none recommended such. Using a 16 seer HP in apartment, 2 Modine LP garage heaters.
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  15. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got medically retired at age 60 which seriously derailed my economics. My plan originally was as a toy freak friend did. Build a 60x40 steel shop on a slab. It's got a second story/loft(?) for living quarters. 2,400 sqft so lotsa upstairs room for bedrooms, baths, den/library, whatever you need. The bottom main floor is paved with a full garage door at each end. Besides his bikes and cars he's got a pickup and travel trailer than he can easily drive in/drive out. Bonus is that the county property taxes are cheaper. The building is taxed as a garage/workshop. No it won't won't appear in Sunsets magazines for the rich and plush but the living area is supper comfortable and really nice while the shop is excellent.
  16. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    I retire in a little over a year. My intention is to buy some land further away from PDX, out in the coastal range. If it is bare land, the first thing I will do (after making sure I have power, a well and a septic is build a shop (if one doesn't already exist).

I am leaning hard towards it having minimal living quarters as I intend to travel and be gone much of the winter. I want a concrete hydronically heated floor (heat source mainly geothermal and solar) as I want to be able to work comfortably in the shop any time of the year, and keep it moderately heated when not there so anything stored is kept stable with regards to temps (i.e., won't freeze).

Not sure about square v. rectangle - kind of makes sense - but having more bays in a rectangle shape has its advantages I think. My current shop is 40x50.
  17. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    I like things neat and organized, but I am also an incurable procrastinator and I am gone 10-12 hrs a day on weekdays, so on weekends I tend to lay about surfing the internets instead of cleaning up like I should.
  18. dlrides

Oddometer:
    My current shop is 48’ deep with two doors, and it seems like I’m always needing to move something to get something else in or out. I think individual bays will work better for me. Each door will have electric openers and remote.
    NEPA 450x and StanBo like this.
  19. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    By "carved out" I meant a living quarters completely separated from the shop by insulated walls, so that he has a nice place to live and then space for everything else under the same roof but distinctly removed. He's not a caveman (well, not a real caveman) and local code might have required such an arrangement.
    FLYING EYEBALL and dlrides like this.
  20. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    Take care to have the living space have a separate ventilation/etc. system so that odors (especially fuel vapors) from vehicles/etc. don't get into the living space.
    ca.gearhead and nevermind like this.