Downsizing To A Garagedominium !

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by dlrides, Mar 9, 2019.

1. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Code requires a 30 minute rated fire wall and door between garage and living space, with no air passages between the two.
    andy29847 and nevermind like this.
  2. Liko

Liko Noncommittal at best

Oddometer:
    A few years back I had a buddy that purchased the "Greatest House In The World" and couldn't wait to show it off to me. When we pulled up I was severely disappointed and the first thing you saw was a basic singlewide mobile home with the three windows across the front. But, then we pulled around to where we could see the other side ...

... it was attached to a 4,000 sq ft garage.

I kid you not, it is The Greatest House In The World.
  3. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My idea is to build a large building (at least a 2500 sf footprint) where I could put in a car lift and have a bay commensurate with what I had as an auto technician. Then a motorcycle bay next to that, and the rest would be parking and vehicle storage. Among that storage would be a full hookup 50’ long bay for a 5th wheel, which would provide all of the living quarters I need. A loft could provide room for my musician studio/band practice area, and storage for anything else.
    MiltonHog and Neil E. like this.
  4. gumbellion

gumbellion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Questions/things to consider
    Please dont think i am being rude or anything. We should be in our new home in a month or so, and through the last year of building the house and garage we have made a number of changes for functional reasons. So i am just pointing out things i notice since the whole process is still fresh in my mind

i think you should consider making the 2-10' wide doors on the end of the garage into one larger door. Perhaps 14'. I went with one 14' wide door instead of 2 10' overhead doors and sure was glad i did the first time i backed a 8.5' wide trailer in there

More windows is always a good idea
    I put 5-48x48 windows in my garage and the natural light is amazing! I framed them at 48" from pad level so from outside you cant really peek in, but even the solar gain in heat i get at this time of year sure makes me glad i put in the 3 extra that were not in the original plan.

For your front of building elevations you are using 2 different trusses by the looks of it and lower ceilings in the house. is it possible to keep the same pitch across the whole building but use a scissor truss over the house to get the covered porch? even some extra overhang infront the the overhead doors as well might be nice. a 12 foot ceiling in the living area will make it feel a lot bigger.

You might want to consider keeping all your waterworks closer together if possible
    i.e. have your 2 washrooms back to back it will make the plumbing a lot easier and cheaper. if you are sold on room layout, i think you should consider swapping the location of the sink and dishwasher in your kitchen with the stove and fridge. Then you will have a 2x6 wall between the washroom and kitchen that will have your plumbing in it

They way you have the closets in the bedrooms on both sides of the windows will cut down on light getting in, and the space in front of the window wont be very useful

You dont have any storage when you walk in your main entrance
    You dont have a utility room
    Dead space between the bathroom vanity and the closet. you could make a wider closet or extend the vanity to add a couple cupboards
    Are you going with true 9' and 12' ceilings or using 9 and 12' studs with sill plate and double top plates

Otherwise it looks sweet, and it will be an excellent project for you
    Make a build thread!!
    I want to follow along
    spokester, StanBo, FR700 and 2 others like this.
  5. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://mortonbuildings.com

That's a very dangerous site to look thru but gives a lot of good ideas to think about, I'm partial to having the living area outside the actual shop but it does add price.
    Kenny M. likes this.
  6. dlrides

Oddometer:
    Morton Buildings were the first I spoke to last year, they are ABSURDLY expensive ! Their site provided a lot of good ideas though. An apartment in the end of a garage is no different than a two car garage as part of a house, it’s just a bigger garage. Code requires a sealed wall and sealed door, garage size is irrelevant.
    1greenmachine likes this.
  7. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My current shop has a smaller door (can't remember if it is 10' wide or 12') and a ? x 14' tall door for an RV:

[​IMG]

Obviously that wider taller door on the left is much easier to get anything into it than the door on the right.

Just my full sized truck would be a squeeze - the smaller pickup fits in ok, but once in it is not convenient to move around it.

Your comment reminded me of what I was thinking of as a possibility for my next shop; have the rollup door (or doors) on the end of the shop. I want the shop (and house) to be south facing, so the long side facing to the south.

Most of the weather in Orygun comes out of the southwest, including wind, so it would be better to have windows/etc. on the south side and any rollup doors on the east side facing partially away from the wind - or possibly on the north side, on the leeward side. Having a large door (or doors) on the east side, would allow me to get almost anything inside, regardless of length. Two tall and wide doors would be even better.

The downside is if you already have something inside this might mean you have to juggle/shuffle what is inside - especially if you need to get access to something - like a hoist/lift/etc. - e.g., let's say you have two vehicles in side by side and you want to bring in a third, or a tractor or motorcycle, or some equipment (a hoist). This is where having more than one (or two) doors comes in handy.

Then again, there is nothing that says you can't have a large door on the lengthwise end and a door on the wide side of the shop at the same time.

The one thing I am thinking though is that my shop would be a steel framed truss building instead of what I have now; my current shop has interior support poles such that moving anything large (like my flatbed truck) around inside is pretty much impossible. Even my pickup would be a hard thing to drive in and park sideways - even from the RV door.

Whereas a steel framed truss building like this:

[​IMG]

Even with a single door, gives you options about how you layout the inside without having to consider interior support beams.
    Crocodile Tears likes this.
  8. ericm

ericm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have a 40x60 barn that was built in the late 1800s. It's got support poles at the mid point of each roof pitch, effectively splitting the interior into a 20' bay with a 10' bay on either side. The poles really reduce the useability. It was ok for the original purpose (dairy barn) but not the best for equipment storage. When I build a shop it'll be clear span.
  9. 1greenmachine

1greenmachine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think they are the cadilac of national builders and charge like that but seem to have good quality and the site is fun looking thru.

What I meant was putting the living space outside the actual shop footprint, not building inside the shop on the floor or balcony.
  10. dlrides

Oddometer:
    That would defeat the purpose of building this. This is not a industrial type shop, but just like a finished two car garage in one’s house, except much larger.
  11. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    My GF keeps talking about what house we'll get to retire in. How many bedrooms and square footage and size of the kitchen islands.

I keep saying...

3 car garage. Workshop. And a place to park the trailer. That's all I need.
  12. Laconic

Laconic Boomer Berserker Nativist Rube

Oddometer:
    You're doing what Carol Ann and I want to do over in East Tennessee. Congratulations!

Did you pick a builder yet? I liked the concrete post bases Morton buildings uses, don't know if anyone else does the same.

Bueller's idea about hookups for an RV is something that has crossed my mind more than once. Pretty handy if you were still in "travelling mode".

Have you considered in-floor heat in the living area?
  13. dlrides

Oddometer:
    I originally planned on relocating and building this in Hamilton Montana ! I came close to pulling the trigger on some property there !

Not using post construction, but traditional footers with block foundation, with one coarse above pad height. County codes have some gray areas as to home vs. barn ..............

Apartment pad will have a 2” insulated joint separating it from garage, and the complete perimeter insulated, as well as insulated under pad. Floor heat was considered, but in this region, didn’t seem needed. I talked to four contractors that has built similar, and none recommended such. Using a 16 seer HP in apartment, 2 Modine LP garage heaters.
    Laconic likes this.
  14. PapaBravo

PapaBravo MoneyMaker Shaker

Oddometer:
    my 2 cents. In the garage, at the left and right ends leave AT LEAST 3 feet of space between the end of the door and the wall. This makes getting in/out of vehicles much easier, and adds may additional storage options as well (shelves, cabinets, toolboxes, etc.) - rather than limiting storage to just the back wall. One thing I cannot stand is getting out of a vehicle and having to negotiate around the door that is touching a wall.

If it were me, I'd have one less garage door - and make the 3 you have wider - and more space along the sides.
    wee-twin and Neil E. like this.
  15. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In Orygun, if the building is a "farm" or agricultural building built on farm land, then permits/code is waived - but it can't have living quarters. Farm buildings can have "offices" but must be used primarily for agriculture. Not sure if I want/need to take advantage of that.
    dlrides likes this.
  16. dlrides

Oddometer:
    I would have thought someone else on here has done this ?

:dunno
    ozmoses likes this.
  17. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why is the one door only 8'?
  18. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    I rented a place in Los Gatos, CA on a 6 acre horse ranch a few years back. The owner built a 4 car "car barn" to house his Ferrari's, 39 Packard, and several Ducatis. I lived in the 1000 sq ft one bedroom apartment upstairs built for his mom (who had passed). I would have bought that place in a heartbeat if he would have sold it to me. Perfect situation for a one man show.
  19. Neil E.

Neil E. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can bet a LOT of people on here want to do something similar. Add the extra space to get in and out of (or around) vehicles. At least one really big door (12 x 14 ) covers you for future projects or RVs. Narrow doors are a pain, always go 10 wide instead of 8 wide.
  20. Laconic

Laconic Boomer Berserker Nativist Rube

Oddometer:
    I want to, I'm waiting to see how yours turns out. :D