Downsizing To A Garagedominium !

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by dlrides, Mar 9, 2019.

1. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ll probably take the forms down tomorrow, and might start framing Tuesday.

0389F928-BB45-4877-A51E-39589E898FD0.jpeg A0E40EB2-116B-4894-A792-1000BFDA37CE.jpeg
    wilfred, Hannda, k7 and 3 others like this.
  2. pnhd65

pnhd65 renaissance man

Oddometer:
    Good for you, looks great so far. :beer
    dlrides likes this.
  3. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    My time is coming....happy to tag along on your journey!
    NEPA 450x and dlrides like this.
  4. dlrides

Oddometer:
    I can’t wait to get into something that’s less time consuming ! I even got a demo on the Husqvarna robotic mower for the mini-lawn, and plan on a Roomba inside !

:lol3
  5. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
  6. dlrides

Oddometer:
    No
  7. ozmoses

ozmoses .

Oddometer:
    Reasoning??
  8. dlrides

Oddometer:
    Insufficient load
    Chuck Pryce likes this.
  9. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I simply am green with envy at the locaion you have there, I live in Shanghai, 27 million people in one city, no room to breath, that site you have is a dream, looking forward to seeing this one move forward.
    dlrides likes this.
  10. dcwilcox

dcwilcox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread, awesome! I look forward to following along.

dcw
    dlrides likes this.
  11. dlrides

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention this is not just a pad pour. Perimeter foundation is 24”x14”+ pad (total 18”), with complete surround insulation board, inboard of foundation.
  12. dlrides

Oddometer:
    Wasn’t meant to be a build thread, but I guess it sorta is now. I was searching for other’s experience, but only a couple seem to have done such. I would have thought this would be popular in the ADV community.

:dunno
    scot_douglas and NEPA 450x like this.
  13. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It does seem pretty popular, however given the % of population the ADV represent, not too many are in your position, you have to be in the right phase of life (Nice way of staying closer to the end rather than the beginning as am I). Where I originate from no way you could build this, well maybe a few rural counties maybe, doubtful but maybe ? But it does not stop us wanting one that bad I can nearly taste it. Keep up the good work.
  14. dcwilcox

dcwilcox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL, it will be . . . once we get to see how it's done!

I don't have the resources do build anything near comparable to what you are doing, but the concept is exactly what I would like for myself. I continue to work and re-work budgets and ideas to pull off something similar on a smaller scale.

Wish I had insight to share, but love your thinking as to small, simple living space and loads of shop space!

dcw
    dlrides likes this.
  15. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful site! Good luck with the rest of the build!
    dlrides likes this.
  16. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep the build thread going, I am following along.
  17. dlrides

Oddometer:
    The city limits join my property line, only .5 mile to city central, ..................... population 652.

:lol3
  18. k7

Oddometer:
    What does it look like from google earth? I'd love to see that view.

Here's a rough approximation of the future "Vizsla Farm" as my wife likes to call it. It's not much, only 10 acres, but that fit our budget nicely. The western boundary is almost 930 ft deep. There's a small chance I can pick up a few more acres if things play out well:

Birds eye view.PNG

The land to the west is owned by a firefighter who will build in the next few years. I think he has 15 acres. To the east is a couple who has 20 acres. I'm not sure of their plans but ours is to leave as many trees as feasible and keep the lawn as small as possible. We'll likely build with insulated concrete forms (ICF) and I'll likely have a concrete roof.

Why? My hometown was destroyed by a tornado when I was 15 and there were 24 people killed in a tornado about 15 miles from this particular location earlier this year. I like the idea of 8" thick concrete walls from a security, tightness and quiet perspective. Even if we have to downsize the sq footage slightly to account for the increased cost, it's a fair trade off in my feeble mind.

In addition to the cost of the land, I've set aside an equal amount for bush-hogging, a small shop, a well, clearing the site itself, dropping power to a pole for construction, pushing in a driveway, etc. I'm hopefully well over the true costs but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

As always, 'man plans, God laughs". Here's hope the next few years fly by so we can start our project!
  19. dlrides

Oddometer:
    I’m leaving 8.5 acres for 3 acres. My county has a 2 acre minimum for rural zoned housing, but I couldn’t find a suitable lot. Minimal land to care for was important also.

If it weren’t for my interests being motorcycles, hot rods, cars, etc, I would buy a single story condo !

1ECB4D1A-1829-49F3-93DC-BD79423E6724.jpeg
    villageidiot and wilfred like this.
  20. k7

Oddometer:
    Beautiful!

I'll getting a little criticism from family and friends. "10 acres?" "That's too much." "You'll get tired of it when you get old."

There's probably some truth to that but, not quite yet. I may grow old but, as my wife says, I'll never grow up.
    WVhillbilly and dlrides like this.