dr 650 long trips, too uncomfortable?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by jmills, May 3, 2006.

1. jmills

jmills Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone,
    I have an 06 dr650se and i have to say this bike is absolutely great, i cant get off it. I have a question about long distance trips, anyone ever take a dr on one? This summer im going about 250-300 miles (from PA to MD) and i want to take my bike. Is it worth it or will it be too uncomfortable? If not so, anything i should do to the bike before the trip? i have taken it on all day rides, but nothing like 3 1/2 hr highway rides. I also may have a passenger. any suggestions?
    Thanks!
  2. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Yeah, get a new seat (or have the stocker redone). Your ass and your passenger will thank you. Furthermore, stand up on the pegs alot to stall the inevitable monkey butt. Take frequent breaks and (if you have the time) take the road less traveled.:D
  3. David_S

David_S Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently did a couple of 300+ miles days on mine. It's stock except for a Corbin seat. Every time I ride it I wonder why I have the beemer? I couldn't do two up because my fat ass requires more than 50% of the seat.
  4. KTM265

KTM265 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I have the true iron ass because I take mine on long rides with a stock seat. I have a Super Trapp exhaust so it has some growel to it...fun bike to ride. Last year I did several 300 plus mile/day trips...fun little day trips.
  5. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode mine from Michigan to Texas on the stock seat (and everything else for that matter). That said, I now have a corbin for long trips. I've done 600 mile days on the corbin without complaint.
  6. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    Mine is set up for dirt in a big way....but I've done a couple of 250-300 mile days that were 85% dirt in the Rockies and only had the usual squirm. I'm using the oem seat too, the gel seat that came with my used '05 wrinkles a little with the IMS tank so I don't use it.

If I was using it to travel and didn't have the Duc, I'd put the Corbin on it.
  7. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode mine on an 11,000 mile trip. If the whole trip is 300 miles, I'd say don't get a corbin just for that. You can do that on the stock seat, just stand up a lot. Also, buy a roll of tool drawar liner from a hardware store and fold it up to make a nice pad you can tape or strap to the stock seat for about $9.
  8. jmills

jmills Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, i never rode it that long and it seems not to be such a bad idea. from michigan to texas!? thats nuts man.
  9. KTM265

KTM265 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Snowrider...where are you riding to next? You're Alaska trip was the one that inspired me to start putting miles on my DR and set it up for longer hauls...Now I'm bumping up to the KTM 640 Adventure. Still working on that trip up the Mississippi with Worldrider...he's healing up a broken leg right now and I just had a rotator cuff repaired...sort of delayed the plans.
  10. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:

Those 640 Adventures are sweet. I'm too lazy for it's maintenance procedures, or I'd probably buy one. I think I'm going to leave for Mexico in about a month, but I'm not sure yet. Money will be a lot tighter.
  11. greenmtndave

greenmtndave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does this mean we can antipate a Mexican ride report from you Snowrider? :clap
    We truly enjoyed last years Alaska trek. Any planned changes to the DR650 for Mexico?
  12. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Slight change to my GPS mount, and I have a top box. I'm not sure I'll use the top box, I'm not sure how it'll work with my camping gear. It's got a different muffler now too, and I put on bar risers so I can stand up offroad a lot easier. Actually, the risers have really helped my riding a lot.
  13. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving tomorrow for Taos, Moab, and somewhere in between. I'm just spooning on my new tires...I'll report back after the trip with a ride report.
  14. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of getting a dr650 for a looooong haul. I've been dreaming of riding through South America on one. So with a seat and maybe a little screen you guys think it would be great, right? It seems simple, light and strurdy enough to pack tools and backback gear. I think that's all I'd need.

Has anybody ever ridden a bike down there and stored it for a year to continue on next vacation? That's kinda my dream. Tour it for 5-6 weeks each year over 3 years or so. -Pantah
  15. Sycamore

Sycamore d00b

Oddometer:
    In about 1990, I rode a 10 year old Yamaha XT500 on a 1000km trip (I think that's about 620 miles) from Johannesburg to Cape Town in South Africa. I stacked up a backpack and sleeping bag behind me so I had something to lean against. The seat was quite thin (cut down in 'café racer' style) but it was ok, just stopped every hour or 2 for a break. The boredom was a bigger problem than the seat, I think top speed was about 75 mph. Hands got pretty numb too from vibes.

I would think the DR would be no problem at all. Especially with a smaller back sprocket to reduce engine revs.

Sorry I posted the pic before, here it is again....
  16. CuzinMike

CuzinMike Treedragger

Oddometer:
    I've done a couple of 2000-3000 mile trips on my DR in the last year, and I think it's a very comfortable long-distance bike as far as thumpers go. The Corbin rules, and taller-bend bars really did the trick for me.
  17. sleepywombat

sleepywombat the DR650 pig

Oddometer:
    ive done several 1000km+ (600miles) days on my stock dr, yes the arse hurts after a while but its managable...... and the small tank means you get regualr stops anyway. my 32 ltr tank now means i need to try and mod the seat in a cheap tacky way :lol3
  18. scootertrash

scootertrash Mobile Homie

Oddometer:

I said it before and I'll say it again, that is an awesome XT. Very similar to my two '78's I used to have. BTW, here's a reminder of OFS that I scored on the web:

[​IMG]
  19. KTM265

KTM265 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Send me a PM when you head south...perhaps we can cross paths and share a few stories...:freaky
  20. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, where are you?

It's not for sure yet though.