DR 650 Tool Kit & Spare Parts for South America

Discussion in 'Americas' started by av_dog, Oct 9, 2019.

1. av_dog

av_dog n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey,
    I'm going to be traveling for around 4 months in Peru, Bolivia, Chile, and Argentina, buying a used bike there. Since I'm flying into the country, I want to be as prepared as possible and bring as many tools and spare parts as I can, without carrying an excessive amount of gear.

Here is the list I have come up with:
    -Spare tubes (2)
    -Air pump/electric compressor?
    -Tire pressure gauge
    -Tire irons (2 or 3?)
    -Breaker bar?
    -12V charger and necessary wiring to install
    -Multimeter
    -Wire stripper/crimper
    -Spare chain
    -Spare sprocket
    -Chain link kit (back up master link, clamp)
    -Spare spark plugs (2) Should I go with the manufacturer's recommendation or other types?
    -Ratchet set/travel socket set
    -Lots of zip ties
    -Plastic tank repair kit
    -Inner tube repair kit (patches or glue? Is fix-a-flat good?)
    -Replacement foam air filter
    -Screw drivers: Phillips and flat head, JIS set of 4
    -Set of open end wrenches (I have a full set from 8mm-19mm, will I need all of them?)
    -Adjustable crescent wrench
    -Vice grip/locking pliers
    -Needle nose pliers
    -Duct tape
    -Electrical tape
    -Fencing wire (Heard this was useful, will zip ties suffice?)
    -Lighter(s)
    -Multi tool
    -Allen keys
    -MSR fuel bottle, 20 oz.

In terms of cleaning solutions/fluids, what should I bring with me and what can I improvise with there?
    -Loctite
    -WD-40
    -JB Quick Weld
    -Electrical cleaner
    -Air filter cleaner and lube
    -Chain lube

Spare parts:
    -Extra carb???? From reading ride reports, I know it's near impossible to find a replacement there. Worth bringing one with me, or a rebuild kit?
    -Clutch cable
    -Brake cable
    -Assortment of spare nuts/bolts (what are some common sizes on DRs?)
    -Anything else??

I'd really appreciate feedback/advice/brutal honesty on this list, it sounds like a lot to bring, but I want to strike that balance of being prepared, especially since I'm riding solo.

Thanks!
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice list. Its about as large as what I have in my garage at home but on the road where will you put you clothes? Does the seller of the bike not have a kit he can leave with the bike. Extra carb really! South America does have motorcycle dealers its a place where other people live.
  3. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Your list looks pretty good to me. It's about what I carried with me on a 15,000 mile trip from Europe to Central Asia. Some of it I never used, but I would take it again, anyway.

Mostly, you will *not* find the parts you need in the small towns you will be passing through- even big cities often will have very little. so I agree it's a good idea to bring what you can, especially parts that are small and easy to carry. Importing parts from the US or even a neighboring country can be a long (weeks), frustrating and expensive experience. Consider that a new DR650 ($6000 in the US) costs $ 15,000+ in Ecuador. That tax schedule applies to parts as well.

Having said all that, things don't break on DR650s too often.

My comments in red: (If I didn't comment, I agree with you about taking it.)

Good luck......................shu
  4. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Check with @Ohio_Danimal. He is in Peru on his DR RR is here
    And check out this RR. Steve and Eva on DRs to Fin Del Mundo
    There's These Guys also on DRs
    Bien viaje
  5. av_dog

av_dog n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you all! Especially shu, really appreciate it!!!
    shu likes this.
  6. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the mention, but so far he hasn’t asked me a thing. There’s plenty of stuff on that list I would leave at home
  7. Mark Manley

Mark Manley Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have far more there than you will ever need which just adds weight and takes up space, here is my tool kit for a similar length trip on a similar bike, Honda XR

8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19 mm short series combination spanners (wrenches) plus which ever size comes with the standard tool kit for the rear wheel spindle.
    8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19 mm 3/8 sockets, short 3/8 ratchet and 2 inch extension.
    Pliers if you do not have them on a Leatherman or similar.
    Screwdriver with changeable tips.
    Pair of 8 inch tyre levers.
    Small plug in pump.
    Puncture kit.
    Which ever size Allen keys and Torx keys fit fasteners on the bike, if any.
    Fit new brake and clutch cables, tyres, tubes and chain and sprockets before setting off and don't carry spares except perhaps tubes, check the wheel bearing and suspension bushes while you are fitting the tyres and think about renewing if in any doubt.
    Carb o rings and gaskets plus a spark plug and a couple of oil filters.
    Duct tape and zip ties.

You will find extra tools along the way if you need them, I found a small Torx set to take my BMW starter apart in Peru but what you have there should just about take the whole bike apart which hopefully you won't need to do.
    av_dog likes this.
  8. av_dog

av_dog n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, anything in particular you wish you brought from home? What would you leave behind?

Thanks for all the recommendations!
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Leave the spare carb at home. Bring two complete rebuild kits from Motolab. Lightweight. And anyone anywhere can rebuild a carb
    Bring a spare ignition coil and a spare pulse coil.
    If running LED signals, bring a spare LED relay.
    Bring two spare front brake pad sets and one rear set.
    bring a fork seal/wiper/bushing set (I have Cogent internals in my forks)
    Bring a pair of Seal Savers fork seal cleaners. Invaluable
    Bring a rear shock rebuild kit (Also running a Cogent Mojave rear shock, with a spring made to handle the weight.
    Bring a small amt. of 12g wire, some spades and asst. connectors you use (SAE for example) and a small roll of rosin core solder. Bring a cigar lighter for soldering and whatever else.
    Small amount of heat shrink tubing
    Electrical tape and silicone tape. spare fuses.
    bring a bag of assorted metric hardware. Go on EBay and buy from a Breaker all the hardware from a parted-out DR650. It’s cheap and you can pick from there what to take.
    My rear wheel is sealed for tubeless, so I’m only carrying a 21” tube. It can be shoved into the 17” rear if needed.
    Motopump Airshot pump.
    Good assortment of patches and fresh glue (several tubes. And a container to keep them from getting crushed)
    Spare clutch cable.
    Spare fuel hose and several spare inline filters.
    Spare set of Rokstraps.
    Three tire irons. Two of them have wrench ends that fit the front and rear wheel nuts. The third is smaller.
    Small container of talc. Spare rim strip.
    Spare switch for your dash switches (if applicable)
    JB weld.
    Small tube waterproof grease
    Bottle (not spray can) of air filter oil. They can be cleaned with whatever dish soap is around.
    I’m using a K&N stainless oil filter. To clean, go to any car parts store anywhere and buy a can of carb cleaner. Take the little red nozzle and heat it slightly with a lighter and slowly bend the tube 90 degrees. Now you can put the bent end into the oil filter and quickly flush out the dirt when cleaning the filter.
    I’m not using a center stand. I have the Enduro Star trail stand. It’s light and fits into my tool holder.
    I use motor oil on my chain. Use a small dropper bottle to apply to links, and refill from
    the left over oil you’re carrying (you will always have leftover oil due to DRs capacity)
    For wrenches I carry 7,8,9,10,12,13,14
    Sockets I carry 7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,17
    I have a socket ratchet that has both 1/4 and 3/8 drives and they both wobble and the wrench handle collapses and extends
    8” adjustable jaw
    Spark plug socket that doubles as screwdriver handle
    Two sizes stock JAS driver (not Phillips)
    Two small jeweller screwdriver. Reg and Phillips
    Valve stem insertion tool (motion pro)
    Valve adjustment tool (motion pro)
    Quality feeler gages marked clearly for intake and exhaust valves. Make sure you know how to adjust valves.
    I think that’s about it aside from camping gear. I use a stove that runs on regular gas.
    Just checked into my room in Lima Peru. Need to shower now and go find food
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  10. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Now that I’ve said that, you’ll be having some 15 yo old clean your carb in Nicaragua and he’ll drop it breaking off some critical part and that spare carb would her come in handy lol.
    Remembered a few more extras to carry
    Package of spare aluminium crush washers for the drain plug
    I brought a half dozen “oil change kits” from Procycle. Has new o-rings for the oil filter etc.
    bring a few spare sets of the o rings that fit the valve adjustment cover
    Bring a spare countershaft seal. Make sure you have a retainer installed.
    I did not bring a spare chain or sprockets. They can be had. I’m getting new JT sprockets and a new x ring chain installed tomorrow. All in stock in Lima at Big Trail Center Peru. I’m running 525 chain. 15/43 sprockets.
    stock is 15/42. And that’s all they have here, so it’s back to stock gearing for me for now. My EK SRX 525 chain lasted 30,000 miles.
    bring a few spare links and a spare master link

I’m sure there’s more. You can always read my blog here. The beginning had the bike prep info
  11. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1st off, wishing you a great trip. (Envious)
    I've been riding a DR for the past 5 or 6 years and 25,000 miles (on top of several years and 10k miles that the bike had when I picked it up), so pretty familiar with the machine now, but absolutely NOT familiar with riding in SA, so will hold my tongue on some suggestions that seem kind of bizarre to me. One tip I can offer for sure is to call out on the DR thread if you ever need any model-specific help. Good crew there, and between them they have seen it all and broken it all.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-dr650-thread.135295/page-10625
    drriders.com is awesome too, but you now need some kind of special account to post there, might be worth it if you are more "plugged in" than I am. Buen viaje amigo.
    knight likes this.
  12. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    You could look up our trip 'tuckers to tdf' there could be some tips.