Dr. Bean's 950 fuel pump kits

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Dr_Bean, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Dr_Bean

Dr_Bean Dr_Bean

Oddometer:
    yep.

IF you are familiar with electrics.. You can just very shortly (a few seconds) power just the coil, and see whether the pump-rod moves well in response (It should move outwards for about 2-3 mm). Carefull though: Do ALWAYS use a fuse, do NOT reverse connect the pump (this will cause sudden and unrecoverable death .. of the pump!), and be careful not to spoil fuel remains coming out of the pump (e.g. close loop it).
  2. JohnnyTheRocket

JohnnyTheRocket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mr.Bean !

Hope you are still producing your kit ! I sent you a MP ;)

Thank you very much,

Best regards,
  3. Muug

Muug Muug

Oddometer:
    If he doesn't react through this forum, you can find hem on forum.lc8.nl. :-)
  4. Dr_Bean

Dr_Bean Dr_Bean

Oddometer:
  5. JohnnyTheRocket

Oddometer:
    I can confirm that, Dr.Bean is a "high speed answer sender" : ;)
  6. wolfelf

wolfelf n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like I’ll want or order one of these kits but I’ve been trying to get a part number for the oem pump. Am I understanding correctly that the oem pump is a Mitsubishi? And if so, anybody have a part number? Thanks
    I have the KTM parts number as
    Looking for a Mitsubishi parts number as the oem replacement is 150-200 usd
  7. Dr_Bean

Dr_Bean Dr_Bean

Oddometer:
    yes original is Mitsubishi
    any OEM partfinder will find you the part (usually in the fueltank fiche)
    24 Fuel Pump 04 60012088100 $134.34

mind you, Mitsu makes many variants of this pump, e.g. for Honda, but there are many small differences such as the in/outlet sizes
  8. wolfelf

wolfelf n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dr. Bean!
    Was looking at parts fiche on babbits online store but must have missed it. Thought if there was a different Mitsubishi parts or model number I could find it cheaper than it being “KTM”.
  9. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    As an update...
    My 950 had been on a center work stand for many months, so I never could gain access to my fuel pump. I finally got the bike together last week, and went for a ride last Sunday. Well, turns out my fuel pump crapped out right in the middle of a 50 meter long muddy short cut that I took. A few hits from a screw driver got the pump working long enough to get me the 40 miles back home (actually 39.90, the pump died again halfway down my driveway). I decided to order a brand new pump instead of fixing my old one (the new pump arrived in 2 days). I’m glad I had ordered my Dr. Bean kit well in advance! I took apart the new pump this morning and installed the new Dr. Bean circuit. It was very simple process to do. I’m so very lucky that the pump went out when it did. I have a race coming up in a couple weeks, and I can’t imagine how disappointing it would be if it happened then.

FYI, my old pump had 30k miles on it. The points contact on the stock pump is designed to fail over time. Every 9x0 owner should upgrade their pump with something reliable like a Dr Bean fuel pump kit!!!

104D7DB3-9233-4873-AFDE-53D1695E8341.jpeg
    ballpeen and MadM like this.
  10. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    I've got a brand new stock fuel pump I 'd consider selling. I bought it as a spare....I installed the Dr Bean kit on the original and have never needed the new one.
  11. wolfelf

wolfelf n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m interested. Thank you. How much would it cost?
  12. aanichols

aanichols Racer at heart

Oddometer:
    Sorry I forgot to check back on this thread. If you're intrested in the fuel pump send me a PM......$100 +shipping
  13. JohnnyTheRocket

Oddometer:
    Dear all,

I want to notify something important concerning DR.BEAN fuel pump kit. It is maybe written in one of the 30 pages, but I think it is not bad to repeat it later in the thread.

While installing my kit, I noticed in the installation guide, that the butterly washers were not mounted under the screw heads. It is normally used like that, to prevent the screw from untightening.

I therefore modified the position of these washers while setting up the whole parts (and stupidely thinking that I am cleverer than the author).

But wait, when starting the engine, everything went wrong, it was impossible to ride above 5000 RPM, and the engine was "turning square".

I re opened the fuel pump, see that my washers did not respect the installation guide, and just figured out that this washer order impacts the height of the PCB and therefore the range of the pump rod. Therefore it impacts the flow rate and the good functionning conditions.

Lesson number one : Put the washer EXACTLY as it is pictured on the installation guide
    Lesson number two : Don't think more than you are able to ;)

Hope it will help others !

Now I have to test for a long range trip, meanwhile thank you very much for great kit DR BEAN.

Have a good ride and a good day,
  14. Dr_Bean

Dr_Bean Dr_Bean

Oddometer:
    :deal:beer

thanks. always welcome!

yes: these washers actually take care of the exact distance between the detection and the pump.. so they have to be there at that position between board and stud.
    They also prevent the STUD from loosening: for this they are in the right place. (and the studs do loosen... )
    I have never seen the screws loosening; but if you are worried you can apply a small amount of loctite 243 to the screw thread.

If you mount the spacers in the wrong position, the detection won't work and the kit will run a safety mode: Enough to bring you home...

thanks !
    Dr_Bean
  15. wolfelf

wolfelf n00b

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  16. Devgorilla

Devgorilla n00b

Oddometer:
    My simple review:

I bought my first ever KTM (and first ever adv bike) a few months ago. The bike didn't get me home before the fuel pump points stuck rendering my new purchase a heavy paperweight. We gave the pump a good wack with something in the factory tool kit, and got the points to loosen up and limp home. Closer inspection showed the pump contacts were properly boogered.

20190330_115639_1_20sm_500x.jpg

The kit is very easy to install, significantly cheaper than a new OEM pump and 350 miles later big orange is still purring. Shipping was quick considering the low shipping cost. The Dr shipped it out the day after I ordered and it took 2 weeks to arrive as expected.
    20190330_141548_20sm_500x.jpg
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  17. Dr_Bean

Dr_Bean Dr_Bean

Oddometer:
    :beer

that pump was pretty corroded too! must have been sitting still full of moist.

anyway: if all goes as it should.. you will forget you have a pump :-)
  18. VittoXVIII

VittoXVIII Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi DrBean
    I've mounted your kit following the instruction to the letter on my Ktm 950 adventure 2005.
    Sadly it doesn't work, after a 20-30 seconds of engine running ok it died (i guess for the few seconds it was running of the few ml in the carbs/tube)
    The fuel pump fuse is ok.
    I've mounted again the OEM kit and it runs ok.
    Is there any way it got damaged during shipping?

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks
  19. Dr_Bean

Dr_Bean Dr_Bean

Oddometer:
    Hi.
    99% of the cases it's just a small mounting mistake: so please contact me with a PM ("conversation" as this forum calls it). I always help.. but if you don't ask I won't know.

Preferably make some top/side/bottom pictures of your mounted kit and send to me. (see PM)

The most common mistake to make is to put the crinkle washers in the wrong position: SImple follow instructions precisely! The crinkle washers should be BELOW the PCB, so between STUD and PCB, and not between screw-head and PCB.

regards
    Dr_Bean
  20. VittoXVIII

VittoXVIII Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to the tips of Dr Bean now the pump works great. It was probably a small mounting mistake on my part!
    An happy ending :)