1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

DR350/250 Picture/Mod Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by BikePilot, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW, the 98 has the better suspension right? Cartridge forks vs damper tubes up front right? How about the shock?
  2. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Correct, it has the dual adjust shock as well.
  3. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would it even be worth swapping the front for a set of UD forks considering this is a dual sport and I’m not trying to slam doubles!!

Like I said,,,, I did like the CRF forks on my XR650L and it really didn’t even cost that much (less than 600$ including parts and getting them rebuilt and lowered an inch internally).
  4. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    A good set of cartridge conventional forks (like the ones that's on your bike) properly sprung for the riders weight will preform just as well if not better than USD's in trail type conditions IMHO. Plus the fork seals will last WAY longer!
    Jud likes this.
  5. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good, less weight too because the CRF forks weighed a bit more than the OE XRL forks they replaced.

Which brings me to a question. I did a good bit of weight reduction on that XR650L and if memory serves I got it down to around 330lbs without getting nutty. Considering a stock DR350 weighs around 300-310lbs stock, what could I expect if you spent some time looking to cut weight??
  6. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    This should help... http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-dr350-and-i-go-on-a-diet.1262182/
    Jud likes this.
  7. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    I'm in AZ. Looks like you've got a good find there actually. That would be a 2500 bike here.
  8. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would buy it in a heart beat. 5600 mile means it is a street electric start, dirt version doesn't have a ODO. Seen those sell for almost twice that. Love the fact that it is bone stock.
    plugeye likes this.
  9. SoPaRider

SoPaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Thones"; '96 DR441S enjoying a warm winter's day ride in Michaux; Update: Thu. 22 Feb. '18-Day 8,000!
    January, 2018 056.JPG
    Mine since new; 56,000 miles an counting and not a lick of trouble. :imaposer
    January, 2018 102.JPG

Here are a few of the changes that have been made to "Thones" over the last 21 years: Jesse Kientz of Kientech Engineering rebuilt the motor in the fall of 2010 after 35,973.9 miles. He installed a Stage 1 441 Big Bore kit (premium fuel recommended), which included a JE Pistons 10.5:1 high compression, 2618 T6 high tensile forged aluminum piston, .125" larger diameter stainless steel header pipe with stainless steel Super Clamp and fasteners, Mikuni TM33SS pumper carb with single cable throttle (elevations run from sea level to 3,200' in PA), extended fuel mixture screw set at 1 1/2 turns out, needle clip was set at the 4th groove from the top, Mikuni #147.5 main jet was replaced with a Dyno Jet #136.0, air box was modified as per Jesse's instructions and the spark arrestor was modified by Jesse; outlet size was increased from 7/8" to 1 1/2". A set of DR350 Off Road model front forks were installed and Jesse rebuilt and modified the rear shock and installed a Progressive shock spring. A Kientech billet aluminum easy pull clutch arm was installed. Pirelli MT21 Rallycross 90/90-21 front tire and 130/90-18 rear tire with Bridgestone 4mm ultra heavy duty (UHD) tubes are used.
    WooPig, ebola, Motoguy500 and 4 others like this.
  10. Friedom

Oddometer:
    She's beautiful! What kind of jetting, exhaust and intake are you running and what altitude?
  11. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welp, picked it up today. It is in really goos shape but it isn't bone stock. It has an aftermarket pipe and header. It's a smidge loud and the seller stated that he had repacked the silencer not long ago so it's just loud. Not terribly loud but loud enough to irritate me.
  12. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Yeah, aftermarket exhaust options for the DR aren't so great. Does he still have the stock pipes?
  13. Collacollin

Collacollin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love the bike man what type of rear fender is at?
  14. Border411

Border411 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a Maier rear fender.
  15. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    a1fa likes this.
  16. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Caught a glimpse of Lake Roosevelt while coming down the pass. [​IMG]
  17. MuckSavage

MuckSavage A Piney Irregular

Oddometer:
    IMG_20180219_173106.jpg Mine, '98 DR350SE. Tusk front fender bag, Slipstream windshield, Wolfman Enduro tankbag, Seat Concepts seat, wolfman E-12's, Immix rack, Shinko 244's.
  18. Motoguy500

Motoguy500 7 Days in a week, Someday isn't one of them. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's good to see the DR out there and doing well.
    I know I love mine. It started out as a dirt model and I converted it to dual sport use. 20180227_115809.jpg
  19. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Slip stream get a good review from you?
  20. MuckSavage

MuckSavage A Piney Irregular

Oddometer:
    Yes it does. Just replied & commented over on the DR 350 thread