DR350/250 Picture/Mod Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by BikePilot, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Hah, I see that. And right before I saw this I posted my question over there.

Throwing a lot of money at this bike. Trying to be more thorough in my decisions from now on..
  2. MuckSavage

MuckSavage A Piney Irregular

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. Truthfully, I paid $25 for mine. Got it off craigslist where a guy bought it new & put it on his Sportster & didn't like the look. Said he rode it maybe 5 miles before taking it off & selling. Didn't even have a bug splat on it. I've only ridden maybe 40 mph with it installed so further testing before I could give you a ringing endorsement. Also, for $25, i kinda can't get hurt. If had to buy new/retail, it could change the whole feeling of it. Let's see what Greg says
  3. Friedom

Oddometer:
    I started seriously considering them when one came up locally for $35 IIRC. I told the guy I'd buy it the next day when I got back in town, but my friend saw the post on Facebook and bought it faster for his cruiser.
  4. mandatedmotorvation

mandatedmotorvation Shunpiker

Oddometer:
    Bogus!!

(Speculation, of course, that your friend knew that you had already expressed interest...)

Meh, still. Bogus!
  5. MuckSavage

MuckSavage A Piney Irregular

Oddometer:
    That's not a friend
    mandatedmotorvation likes this.
  6. Friedom

Oddometer:
    Oh he completely knew. He commented on the post after mine and said, "beat ya to it!".
    Now that you mention it, that wasn't super respect/friend like. But his motorcycle is his only means of transportation, so it could be a little more important for him.
    mandatedmotorvation likes this.
  7. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had one on my DR650 and it was remarkable how well it worked for its size. If you get the angle and height right for your own height/position on the bike, you can get a very quiet ride with no buffeting. I bought it new for, I think about 80 bucks and it was worth every penny.
    Friedom likes this.
  8. timmay-adv

timmay-adv n00b

Oddometer:
    New to the site and new owner of this 99DR350. I had a DR650 about 5 years ago and fell in love with dirt roads and exploring. Spent this winter with help from my friend (Motopumps) redoing this bike. Pictures from maiden ride last night :rofl 9971771D-3973-4B77-9E88-A628DEEED430.jpeg 81CB2AA8-0BA7-44CD-8223-6574DCA3C925.jpeg 5829CF04-758A-47BE-8E3E-D333A10E2280.jpeg
    nacho squatcho and plugeye like this.
  9. mandatedmotorvation

Oddometer:
    Nicely done! Geez.

What was on the list of fixes/mods?
  10. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, REALLY nice! I'd like to know all you did too. Especially interested in your side covers. They look new. Mine look like crap.
  11. timmay-adv

timmay-adv n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, I'm lucky that the previous owner had the bike in good shape. We replaced the old beat-up tank with the Acerbis tank, and we dropped in the Acerbis universal tail light. Added wider foot pegs, added the doubletake mirror. The side plastics are stock but they have been hit with Plastidip to match the white look of the Acerbis tank. I do have an extra set of plastics but i'm saving them for when these get beyond beat. We had the forks re-valved and added a new rear spring from Hygear Suspension, also added some new fork boots. We decided to paint the frame along the way as well to spruce it up and finish the look. IMG_2306.JPG IMG_2307.JPG
  12. mandatedmotorvation

Oddometer:
    And the blue plastics are Acerbis?
  13. timmay-adv

timmay-adv n00b

Oddometer:
    The hand guards yes, but I'm not sure about the rest as they were on the bike when I bought it last year. They could be off some Yamaha for all i know, I will see if I can find any markings on them and let you know.
  14. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I'm asking this in the wrong thread please steer me in the right direction.

Need a chain and sprockets for my '95 DR250S. I keep it at our cottage all year, so I can't get to it to count teeth and links. Here's what I found on the web:

14T Front
    42T Rear
    520/108 Chain

Can anyone confirm if that's the correct info.?

Also, I have a minimum number of tools up there. If I order a 108 link chain and a master link, will I be able to install it without cutting or removing links?

Thanks for any advice.
  15. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

big gas tank & 3-digit trip-meter

[​IMG]

easy mounting

[​IMG]

external sprung kickstand & DR650 toolbox
    tatt2mike and Tony2x67 like this.
  16. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

Plugeye, interested in hearing more about your bike. Looks like you've applied some DR650 influence to your 350 - frame painted the same colour as the 650? Plus, is the speedo a 650 unit? DR250/350 and DR650 are on my short-list of all-time favourites and probably some of the best bikes ever made. Makes sense to combine some of the features.
  17. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    actually the frame is the stock original paint. and yes, DR650 speedo
  18. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ahh, one of the last years then. You also have the cartridge fork, right?
  19. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    yes, late model fork i added to this 94 model.
  20. bluebutterfly212

bluebutterfly212 Heidi Jo Smith Martin

Oddometer:
    Just purchased a 99 DR350se and looking for top and side racks for camping gear. Suggestions?