DR350/250 Picture/Mod Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by BikePilot, Oct 18, 2006.

1. mandatedmotorvation

mandatedmotorvation Shunpiker

Oddometer:
    Green Chili Adventure

Congrats on the purchase. Quality buy.
    bluebutterfly212 likes this.
  2. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    I've heard great things about the Giant Loop coyote system, and personally have great experience with the Altrider Hemisphere holster system.
  3. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Empty and full.. 20180620_090910.jpeg 20180218_141212.jpeg
  4. Mabbondandolo91

Mabbondandolo91 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a 94 DR350 and im looking to lower the pegs. Any suggestions? Also looking for a nice big round headlight.
  5. MuckSavage

MuckSavage A Piney Irregular

Oddometer:
    JNS Engingineering makes a peg lowering kit
    TwoTrackMind and Jud like this.
  6. winn442

winn442 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Repurposed some pannier racks off of an old airhead and added my Hemisphere bags

dr350.jpg
    BikePilot likes this.
  7. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got pics of the racks? Nice SS header. Is that custom?
  8. winn442

winn442 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    dr.jpg gobi.jpg dr rack.jpg dr tank bag.jpg I just got the bike a month or so ago, so I don't know much about it. 98 SE. Traded a F650GS for it.....I understand the PO was setting it up to run the TAT. Suspension has been resprung and revalved, pumper carb, 4.25 tank, Vapor, Simpson Detour fairing, frame powdercoated CAT yellow (weird color choice, PO musta worked on yellow iron)......got a huge box full of DR350 and DR650 parts with it, haven't even gone through it yet (stock exhaust, bars, carbs, etc).

The racks were BMW branded, looked ancient. I made a top rack while I was making these fit. Funny thing was, even though I'll probably never use them on it, my Hepco-Becker Gobis off my 950 ADV fit on the racks perfectly, only had to make a couple of tabs to latch them on. Might find some small HB boxes to fit later on. I had several people tell me that the racks were too far back, but the Altrider bags fit well with them in this position, plus I can still remove the side plastics without removing anything. I set it up to be able to remove the racks (3 bolts, one nut) without disturbing anything else and not have to put any bolts back.
    plugeye likes this.
  9. Lasherman

Lasherman Ah Sh!t!

Oddometer:
    Slow frame up rebuild of my 1992. Powder coated the frame and lots of new stuff. 20200329_192548.jpg 20200329_192607.jpg
  10. Lasherman

Lasherman Ah Sh!t!

Oddometer:
  11. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks good!
  12. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    E953BB23-E08F-4C87-BEA3-9F778376F456.jpeg 63DF40EB-27EA-4031-A666-F584C3311FA8.jpeg Just got this ‘96 this morning!
  13. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

Wow! You sir, just scored one of the best purchases of your life. These bikes are so well built and just do everything so well. Easy to work on, (well, getting the carb off is a bit of task but not too bad), lots of aftermarket support and they're just so enjoyable to ride. With such low miles you can have that thing forever if you want. You are going to LOVE it. Enjoy!
    AST236 likes this.
  14. AST236

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it's a nice one. It's not quite the museum piece the pic indicates, but it's in very good, almost completely original condition.

Stock carb and airbox to include the snorkel.

New tires, fresh oil change. It has a few scratches here and there, and somebody buggered up the screws in the side panels.

All in all, a good, honest, low mile bike. I'll take care of the little stuff as I go.

I've had a couple of DR350's before, but this is the nicest example. Put some fresh gas in it and did a 12 mile shakedown run this morning. Everything worked, nothing fell off, and I made it back to my starting point, so I'm calling it an early success.

I'm on the fence about mods. For now, I'll address some aesthetic issues and ride. I'm not sure I want to cut the airbox and start down that particular rabbit trail. Time will tell........:)
  15. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

On my DR250, the airbox snorkel was missing and it created a slight resonance kind of sound that I found really fatiguing inside my helmet. The bike also had a touchy on/off throttle from idle. I found a used snorkel and it quieted the noise and fixed the touchy throttle.

I'll always drill out the pilot jet and set it right but I'm done with mods that take much away from the stock aspect of the bike. These bikes are never going to be rockets so I just use what it's got and I'm happy. But I used to mod 2-strokes so I know the appeal.
  16. AST236

Oddometer:
    I hear ya. This is a companion bike to my GS, so it'll get its share of seat time. Both of my brothers in law had dualsports as well, so we get them out and explore dirt roads and pig trails. I think I'm going to leave it all alone for a while and just ride.
    BikePilot likes this.
  17. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh that's nice, have fun!