DR350 Adventure Bike Build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by hellotimmutton, Sep 9, 2019.

1. hellotimmutton

hellotimmutton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The springs were swapped for HDs a couple months ago, not sure if it was changing the springs or just re-assembling it properly but it seemed to do the trick, all Im doing is going down to half/half. If it returns after the rebuild I'll look into those options though
  2. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    i need to visit this forum more often.
    watching now
  3. hellotimmutton

Oddometer:
    Sorry to have gone quiet. Took the engine parts to a machine shop to have the post for the case saver welded back on and get the shift drum drilled and tapped for a larger bolt, only to get it back months later with a spacer for the case saver and the shift drum untouched. Not happy. On the plus side, its given me time to accumulate parts for when I put the engine back together. Now, to find a machine shop that will actually do the work rather than just sit on the parts...
    mentolio and JagLite like this.
  4. hellotimmutton

Oddometer:
    Finally got the shift drum bolt sorted. Between doing a less extreme DRZ400 build to cross the Simpson Desert, which got cancelled when the borders got shut down, and most workshops shutting down at the same time, this took a lot longer than I expected, however Im quite happy with the result. The M8 thread should hopefully be a lot sturdier. I haven't gotten any snaps of it, but I've also touched up some of the frame paint and bought some engine paint to do that up. Also broke a vice trying to replace the bearings on my shock linkage, will take it somewhere with a hydraulic press to do it...

IMG_20200528_121745.png IMG_20200528_121729.png
  5. The Villain

The Villain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay, explain the shift drum bolt modification rationale to me. I vaguely think I've heard this is a weak point. You're looking to prevent catastrophic failure of...something with the bigger bolt? Has this been done before or are you trail-blazing? Curious because I'm wondering if I should be doing this too.
  6. hellotimmutton

Oddometer:
    The stock bolt has a m6 thread with a 10mm sleeve. It is known for snapping if you torque it beyond its minimum torque spec. Its also known for working its way loose while the bike is in operation (the result being an inability to shift), although this can be addressed with loctite. Others have used an off-the-shelf m8 shoulder bolt which is slightly longer than stock, I believe Im the first to have a bolt thats the original length made. Whilst this mod isnt strictly necessary, its comforting to not need to worry as much about over-tightening or having it come loose (although I'll likely loctite it anyway)
  7. The Villain

The Villain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine has never given me problems but I'm assuming I'll be removing it to perform other clutch modifications, so now I'm seriously interested in doing this. What's the downside to an off-the-shelf M8 bolt? Need to run washers? Or is it longer in the thread section?
  8. hellotimmutton

Oddometer:
    The only off-the-shelf bolt I could find locally wasnt fit for purpose, but Im assuming America has a lot more options