DR350 Fun Build

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Hscarborough, Aug 9, 2016.

1. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    o its been done by several people. read distechs thread. there are other write-ups on it with jetting. I followed distechs jetting and it got me dang close. and yes I have an e start 350 with a tm33. my 441 is kick start only with an fcr37. there is no kit for the fcr. 13102-17D00 will fit the carb to the engine. you will have to see what you need to do to connect it to the airbox. there are 2 different rear airboots, one for the street model and one for the dirt model. not sure if one fits or not. I have an aluminum airbox so mines different
  2. Hscarborough

Hscarborough Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! It sounds like an FCR37 is the fan favorite here on carburetors for a kick start DR350. A manifold can be purchased to fit it on the cylinder head but I'll have to get creative for attaching it to the airbox. Still not sure what throttle assembly is needed but I'll post when I find out.

I'm behind on my forum posts so let me flash through some progress real quick...

I removed the bad head from the engine (the one with bad cam journals) The last two nuts on the front and back of the cylinder are a pain to get off when it's in the frame! Not to mention they wanted to strip out really bad but I hit it with some heat and all is good. It's really a shame that it has bad journals because the underside looks really good.
    [​IMG]

I stuffed all the holes with paper towels and called it a night.
    [​IMG]
  3. Hscarborough

Hscarborough Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay I got the e start head installed on the kick-start motor in the bike without too much trouble. When I started to install the cam shaft and rockers I saw some markings I wasn't happy with. The marks on the cam can be felt slightly with my thumb nail but just barely.
    [​IMG]
    The marks on the rockers have the same wear and can barely be felt with a fingernail.
    [​IMG]

Is this too much wear for reuse? What would cause this? If I had to purchase a new cam it wouldn't be the end of the world for this build but I'd like to reuse it if possible.
  4. Hscarborough

Hscarborough Long timer

Oddometer:
    I decided to install the cam as is since the only damage that would happen is to the cam and followers that already have the wear. At least it won't damage the head. The cam is now installed and ready to go.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
  5. Hscarborough

Hscarborough Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a strange problem though finding top dead center (TDC). The service manual says to remove the plug on the front of the stator cover and rotate the engine while watching for a T mark. After rotating the engine 3 or 4 times over and not seeing a single letter, i resorted to using a long screwdriver stuck through the spark plug hole to find it.

Does anybody know why there wouldn't be a T mark on this bike? A swapped rotor maybe? This is what I see when the screwdriver says it's at TDC. There is possibly a letter T hidden in the far left but I can't tell.

[​IMG]

6. plugeye

plugeye MC responder

Oddometer:
    it moves real fast near TDC, pull the stator cover to be certain
  7. Hscarborough

Hscarborough Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried it several times moving really slow and still couldn't see anything. I'll pull the stator cover off soon to be sure. Also, should there be oil in that cover? The rotor looks like it has oil on it.

8. plugeye

plugeye MC responder

Oddometer:
    yes, oil cools the stator
  9. Mr.Moo

Mr.Moo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. plugeye

plugeye MC responder

Oddometer:
    you may want to read this concerning cams
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/94-dr350-rebuild-in-texas.1162454/
  11. Hscarborough

Hscarborough Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's interesting... So the auto decompression is offset between the dirt model and the street model? (Meaning kick-start versus e start). So this head in installing is from a '97 street model but I plan to add the manual decompression (I have the valve covers for kick and e start sitting at my desk right now) Would that solve the issue here plugeye?
  12. Hscarborough

Hscarborough Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. plugeye

plugeye MC responder

Oddometer:
    yes, i believe if you use the manual CR for kickstarting, you are golden.
  14. Hscarborough

Hscarborough Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why is motorcycle parts shopping so fun? Anyways... I picked up a set of RMZ250 forks from a 2004 model for $195 shipped! See below.

[​IMG]

The plan is to press the steering stem out of my spare set of triple trees and press it into the lower RMZ triple. From the reading I've done on here, it sounds like that's the best option. Those should arrive in a week or so. Now i'm on the hunt for an axle bolt and a front wheel/brake rotor. Anybody have one laying around? I've asked the seller if he does and he says "i'll do some digging" so I might get lucky.
  15. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have done several inverted fork swaps including 2 sets of rmz250 forks just like yours. I pressed the stems on all of them, but I am starting to think the all balls conversion bearings might be the way to go. It should require less custom spacers and bushings
  16. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same thought. I am going to explore this route on the next go around with mine. I found the odd size bearing from aliexpress direct from china.
  17. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    All Balls sells something good?
  18. Hscarborough

Hscarborough Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been reading and keep finding posts about your swaps. So did I choose forks well? Is the price about right?

I'll do some research on the all balls conversion and ask if I have any questions. I do work in a large machine shop but time is money.

19. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The price is great and I am sure you will be happy with them. I have no complaints about mine
  20. Hscarborough

Hscarborough Long timer

Oddometer:
    The valve cover is modified to accept the decompression release. Just have to drill and tap two holes and it's ready to be assembled.

[​IMG]
    plugeye likes this.