DR350 supermoto project on a KLR budget

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by dbarale, Nov 16, 2011.

1. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    I am lucky that I "know someone" who's a really good machinist. So the cost of the machining is, to me, probably equivalent to what a used caliper and a rebuild kit would cost me. Otherwise I would agree that replacing the caliper maybe an easier option (assuming that the wheel can still be centered in the swingarm).
  2. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's always good to have a machinist around! :thumb
  3. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    You do know that a 17" rear wheel from a DR650 is a direct trade for your 350...right. Not only that, a lot of 650 owners would love to have that 18" rear so they can get a better OR tire selection.
  4. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    I can see the vultures circling already... :lol3

I thought about doing the DR650 swap and lacing a 17" rim to the front hub. But a set of spokes from Buchanan will cost me as much as the whole GS500 setup and I would lose the option of swapping back to a 21" front. It also does not address the issue of a bigger front rotor. Finally I wanted to run tubeless tires.

I know the GS wheels will be heavier and not as sexy as a set of spoked wheels but some of the weight will be offset by not having to use a tube. If I remember I will weight the wheel setups to see what the difference really is.

EDIT:
    Front wheel with rotor, std tube, no rimlock and 80/100 new Kenda 760: 19.0 lbs
    Rear wheel with rotor, std tube, no rimlock, cush hub and sprocket, and 130/80 bald Maxxis: 30.8 lbs
  5. Honkylicious

Honkylicious Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wanted:
    - XR style tailight
    - SM front fender
    - factory clutch perch and lever (the ratio on this one seems to be all wrong)
    - maybe a lighter skidplate (any suggestions?) ***
    - SS front brake line
    - fork brace[/QUOTE]

Maybe a plastic skidplate from an 08+ KLR650?:confused Got one laying around, just let me know.
  6. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Klicker, thanks for the offer. A plastic one is actually a good idea but I just swapped my skidplate for a factory one which should be a good bit lighter and fits right in...
  7. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    So, one step forward....

.... 29 steps back.

I took the engine to get measured. As I feared the cylinder is out of spec. The exhaust valves are also badly hammered.
    I thought about slapping in some new rings and calling it good but in the end I decided to do it right:
    - Wiseco piston and rings (+ 0.5 mm)
    - New exhaust valves
    - Re-bore
    - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.........

So I was a little down after that one, thankfuly a big package was waiting for me at the house:

[​IMG]

Decent shape, no major issues. For $25 I was happy! :clap
    So I knocked out the (brand new) wheel bearings and slapped in a couple 6204's that I had leftover from something and fitted the DR axle.

I cleaned and taped the swingarm and marked some reference points with the stock wheel fitted:

[​IMG]

Then I finally was able to see for myself how well the GS wheel fits the DR swingarm... To sum it up: it ain't fuckin' happenin'!

[​IMG]

The wheel is offset about 13mm to the right, not great but not too bad. I could live with that.

[​IMG]

The sprocket side is also pretty good. I would need to run a sealed bearing and grind about 5mm of the lip to gain some clearance but nothing complicated and the chain would line up perfectly:

[​IMG]

The brake side is the problem. I read some writeups about using the GS wheel in a DR650 and I thought it would work for me since both bikes use the same rear wheel but the 650 swingarm must be wider than the 350's. The other issue is that it looks my wheel doesn't have enought meat on the rotor side to machine it. Suzuki might have lightened the wheel at some point, lucky me I got a later wheel...

[​IMG]

So even if I wanted to use the GS caliper and hanger I would have to grind the swingarm to make room for the rotor. Even then I'm not sure there is enough room between the hub and the swingarm to clear the hanger. Here's an example on an XR250 (maybe from OtherBart?):

[​IMG]

So back to square one. Unless I'm missing something really obvious I don't think this wheel is going to work. I may go the DR650 wheel way. I don't know. Need a drink...
  8. rubberband

rubberband Will ride for tacos

Oddometer:
    bummer about the wheel, and the engine internals. Were the valves as hit as mine?

Don't get too discouraged, hang in there.
  9. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's not mine, but I can take pics if it would help. When I made a left side spacer that positioned the wheel such that the sprocket lined up then all I needed on the right was the caliper bracket and a washer (maybe 1/8" thick?). I don't think my wheel had that huge space from the rim edge to the sprocket like yours does there.
  10. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    A pic or two would be great. I'm starting to wonder if I got a wheel from something else? Katana maybe?

EDIT: Well, after your post I started looking at pics of other GS500 wheels for sale on Ebay. The cush hub/sprocket carrier doesn't look to be the same. No wonder the effin wheel won't fit.

OtherBart, any chance you could take a quick measurement from the inside surface of the sprocket to the lip of the rim itself?

[​IMG]
  11. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    FYI, I did a similar project about 8-9 years ago, except I used an RD400 front wheel at 19" with a Ducati rotor on the front. I ran a Maxxis medium compound dirt track tire on the front. The rear I spooned 150/70/18 tire on the stock rim. I found a set of RM125 forks for the front that set me back almost $50.

I ended up finishing the season 5th in points with a best 3rd place finish during the race. This was against an ever increasing field of 250 4-strokes with 17's.

[​IMG]
  12. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lobster, where do you run? Do they have a class for slow-ass dogs like my 250L? :lol3
  13. papalobster

papalobster With Gusto!

Oddometer:
    Used to. Road America Briggs and Stratton Motorplex. They used to have 2 races a month, but now down to 2 a year I think. I took a bit of a tumble in June 06 and hung er up.
  14. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    That measures out right at 1" on mine. I have some pictures uploading now, I'll post them in a minute.
  15. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chain side:

[​IMG]

Brake side:
    [​IMG]
  16. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Klicker, thanks for the offer. A plastic one is actually a good idea but I just swapped my skidplate for a factory one which should be a good bit lighter and fits right in...[/QUOTE]

The skid plate you had on the bike was a very coveted one. It is the lightest of the aftermarket plates and had the rear mounting tabs at the factory location. Hope you didn't swap directly for a stock plate as those are a dime a dozen. E-bay for less than 20. You could probably get close to 100 bucks for that skid. I was about to offer you my extra stocker for the cost of shipping.

My buddy has one, and I ogoggle over it all the time.

Attached Files:

• skid.jpg
      skid.jpg
      File size:
      82.2 KB
      Views:
  17. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Perfect venue for farm equipment like the ole DR... :D

I didn't get quite $100 for it but I got a fair deal. Thanks Rubberband!
  18. Toscana1

Toscana1 Younger by the ride.

Oddometer:
    Just curious. Was pressure washing it first not an option? Were you afraid what was holding it all together would get washed away? Good luck to ya!
  19. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Pressure washing was the plan but I got a little excited and started tearing it apart, and it didn't happen... :D

Thanks a lot! After you posted that I did some more digging. Turns out I do have a Katana 600 rear wheel. Apparently the wheel is about the same but with a different hub and lighter casting.
    So, if I can find a GS500 cush hub I would be able to move the entire thing to the left 17mm. That gives me a 4mm wheel offset, which is fine with me. That also centers the tire in the swingarm and would allow a slightly larger tire (140 or 150?). I still wouldn't be able to run the DR rear brake but I may not have to grind the swingarm to clear the rotor. I might just follow your lead afterall and just swap calipers if I want to go back to dirt setup.
    I just need to score on a GS500 hub and caliper setup on the cheap as the engine parts depleted my budget for now, but at least that part of the project is back on track. :clap

I also got a call yesterday and my piston is in. I'll swing by the shop today and see about getting the cylinder bored out...
  20. TheOtherBart

TheOtherBart Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you're getting it sorted. It seems like GS500 parts are a dime a dozen, I'll bet you won't have any trouble rounding up what you need.