DR350 supermoto project on a KLR budget

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by dbarale, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Fakenstein

Fakenstein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    besides the cool factor of having 17s. If I was to do it again on a dr350 I would just put some avon road riders on the stock rims and call it a day.
    The gs500 front rim will center up. But you will need a relocator bracket.
    the rear gs500 rim needs to be ground or machined down on the sprocket side. I used the gs500 rotor and caliper. and made an arm for it. If you take the wheel bearings out of the stock dr350 rear wheel they will go in the gs500 wheel and mate up. Use the dr350 spacer in between the bearings with a washer or two to take up the slack. I used washers for spacers front and back because I am cheap.

good luck. great bikes.
  2. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Small update, I found a local motorcycle junkyard today and got a front wheel (Katana 750 with dual discs), a GS500 caliper hanger, and a hub for $40. As a bonus the bearings and the tire are good...
    Did some quick fitting tests and it looks much, much better. Seems like I could end up with only a 2mm offset and not have to grind the swingarm! :clap
    The timing chain, valves and guide also came in. The guide is the wrong one but it's not worth sending back, so I'll be replacing both.
  3. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Needed:
    - <STRIKE>full gasket set</STRIKE>
    - <STRIKE>timing chain</STRIKE>
    - <STRIKE>GS500 front wheel</STRIKE>
    - <STRIKE>GS500 rear wheel</STRIKE>
    - tires
    - mirror
    - <STRIKE>front cam chain guide</STRIKE>
    - <STRIKE>suspension linkage needle bearing and hem joint</STRIKE>
    - seat cover

Wanted:
    - XR style tailight
    - SM front fender
    - factory clutch perch and lever (the ratio on this one seems to be all wrong)
    - <STRIKE>maybe a lighter skidplate</STRIKE>
    - SS front brake line
    - fork brace
  4. rubberband

rubberband Will ride for tacos

Oddometer:
    I have a stock yellow and purple seat cover i'd send you if you want it.
  5. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Heck yeah, thanks a lot, that would be much better than the "custom-camo-fabric-hiding-a-hole" seat that is now on the bike!
  6. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Small update, progress has been slow lately. Between a crazy work schedule and the approaching holidays I cannot find much time to work on this project...

Yesterday I was finally able to re-bore the cylinder. Turns out we didn't have the correct size cutter for an 80mm bore. So I removed a full mm on the honing machine (rigid hone). Took about three hours...

The good news is that it turned out great. Wiseco recommends .002 over piston size. My machinist said .0025 would probably be better for an air cooled thumper. The cylinder, after final honing is at .0024 to .0026 all the way around. :clap (Sorry no pics. My camera would not catch the nice 60 deg honing pattern).

The rings are also perfectly gaped out of the box.

New piston, sexy:

[​IMG]

I removed the carbon from the head and soda-blasted it. Then lapped the new valves:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also did some random small stuff on the frame. Re-welded the kick stand bracket and filed it to size, and cleaned, lubed and re-assembled the suspension linkage. Was hoping to get the frame ready for paint as it was 60F here today but it didn't happen.

I'll try to work on the engine this weekend but I'm still waiting on the cam chain guide so I will not be able to button it back up...
  7. rubberband

Oddometer:
    Great to see progress.... your seat cover is in the mail.
  8. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot. Merry Christmas to me!

Again, not much progress.
    Installed the piston and new cam chain, and clearanced the clutch basket. Re-installed the clutch and torqued down the shift drum bolt. Replaced a bumch of random seals. That's about it...

Slowest progress ever.
  9. rubberband

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  10. M@gneto

M@gneto Moto Itinerant

Oddometer:
    Great thread. I recently picked up one that had already been converted. Mine has Excell wheels laced into the stock hubs. It rides great, but I am yet to give it any real distance rides.
    Mag

Attached Files:

11. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the inspiration. Nothing to report other than I did receive a new fancy seat cover from Rubberband. :clap

I did get to spend some time with my family and the DR sat untouched for a week. Might get back on it next week... Once I get the frame painted and receive the couple engine parts I'm still missing it should move a lot quicker.
  12. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  13. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice work so far.I am a GS500 fan.I own 4 and I have enough frames to build 6.I'm also a fan of the DR bikes.I just missed a nearly new black 650 and a new blue 200.I was sad.Anyway,you can still hit the dirt with 17 inch wheels running dual sport tires.Just not a big selection of tires.Some people run narrow rear tires on the front.Good luck with the rest of the project.I'll be watching along.
  14. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    I have not yet given up...

Had a warn sunny day and I painted the frame, no more '80's blue:

[​IMG]

I also gave the swingarm a good scrubbing, along with the suspension linkage and re-lubed all the bearings. Ready to re-assemble:

[​IMG]

Gratituous pic of my new (to me) Barney seat cover. I thought about dyeing it black but it's starting to grow on me. We'll see:

[​IMG]

I finally received the cam chain guide and kickstarter spring I was missing to wrap-up the engine. That will be next, well, as soon as I get over this stupid cold that has me pinned in bed for the past two days... Oh well, at least the project is still alive.
  15. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    Update, just in case anyone is still watching this.

Engine is all back together. Frame is back on the jack, swingarm and all of the rear suspension is installed, lubed and torqued. No play, no clunks, just smooth and tight...

Goal for tomorrow is to adjust the valves, clean up the engine a bit and put it back in the frame. Maybe service the steering head bearings and re-install the triple clamps, we'll see.

Pics tomorrow, for now: :freaky
  16. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Still watching.....:D
  17. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the payoff.
  18. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    :eyes
  19. robocog

robocog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This thread inspired me to do the same to mine (although mine is a DR250)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17815702&postcount=10738

Happy with the results
    I would ideally like to have the rear wheel machined to get it perfectly in line but it doesn't seem to affect the handling as far as I can tell - I will hawk it round the machine shops and see if I can get someone to do it for beer money
    (if only it would fit in my lathe...LOL)

Have had to put the dirt wheels back on for now till I can afford a new rear tyre as my chosen rear wheel came with a very flat spotted and worn out one on

Regards
    Rob
  20. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:

Thanks a lot, these pics are the best step by step I've seen so far... What size tire are you running in the back?