1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    Question for the collective: do I really need a rear chain guide on my DR? My 250 didn't have one when I got it, and I have since installed a 52 tooth sprocket which I suspect the stocker wouldn't fit well with anyway. Should I make/buy something for back there, or just not worry about it (assuming I keep the chain properly adjusted)? IMG_4148.JPG
  2. Slabonator

Slabonator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BINGO. It was the stupid kick stand relay this whole time... hours wasted.. so many beers finished.. It's time to wheelie into the sunset. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Give me your PO box and I'll mail you a beer.
    MrPulldown and brianpeck like this.
  3. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never run one and I've never had any troubles without it.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  4. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Everybody who ever removed an OE chain guard must have binned it because used replacements are as rare as rocking-horse shit.
  5. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2nd dr350 I aquired as a non runner. Turned out to be the side stand relay. I always mention it now as a possible reason why the starter isn't getting juice.

Thanks for the beer offer. Why don't instead you do something in your town. Help some old lady with her groceries or something like that.
    plugeye and brianpeck like this.
  6. Hungry Valley

Hungry Valley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20180114_175458 (2018_05_23 22_08_04 UTC).jpg Old blue showing off her homemade fork brace
    Greg Bender likes this.
  7. memopad

memopad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My girlfriend has been riding my dr350 and has fallen in love with it. Might be time to sell her xt250 and upgrade to the 350. The problem is I wanted to turn the 350 into my trail oriented dual sport, put knobbies on it, etc. I'd also have to put heavier springs, taller seat, etc as I'm pretty tall. She is comfy with the stock springs, stock bar height, and I might actually go lower on the seat for her. I know I already have my dr650 and don't really NEED another dual sport for myself, but damn I want to :D

There is another '99 350 for sale down state right now that looks to be in pretty good shape. $2500 bucks. Might have to make his/hers dr350s lol
  8. Brett Berisford

Brett Berisford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He’s taking best offers well above asking price, lots of interest
  9. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Do it!
  10. memopad

memopad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really? That's crazy. I scored mine locally last fall for $2250. It had 1500 miles on it or so, virtually mint condition. Not interested in a bidding war, I'll just plate the WR300 instead :)
  11. markk900

markk900 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I first did the Jesse recommended mods (all of the carb ones, no exhaust mod) I used the 140 main and everything was good except for surging on steady throttle at hwy speed. Long story short, going leaner on the main jet and a variety of adjustments as recommended by Derek I have found things working very well (CV carb, jesse adjustable needle, 3x3 airbox, new filter, stock exhaust). I'd ask Derek for detailed tips as they worked well for me. I think i ended up at 132.5 for the main jet.

ps. did Derek quit ADVrider as @motolab no longer appears to be a valid user.
  12. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    For some reason, Jesse always recommended very rich jetting. He suggested a 152.5 main for my 93 DR with 435 big bore, sport exhaust and Vortex airbox. Every time I went down a size, it ran better. I had got back down to 140 when I sold it but it still went "soft" at the top end and could probably have used smaller still.
  13. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    In the stock config, is it generally considered that the DR350s run lean or rich?
    I'd like to get a little more oomph out of mine but don't want to mod the air box or exhaust. Was going to try an adjustable needle first but also grabbed a 130 main to try.
  14. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Have you dialed in the fuel mix screw, and are you running a stock air filter? Something like a UNI filter and a little tuning could give it a little pep on the cheap.
  15. Brett Berisford

Brett Berisford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will go smaller, try a 135- that was the stick main jet for the first years if I recall.
    Wondering why it runs better when I partially cover the 3x3 opening if it’s already too rich? Maybe it can’t push that much air fuel mix through the stock exhaust?
  16. Alaska1WD

Alaska1WD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm back here! PM me if anybody needs a top end, I have 5 or so I can sell. I'm leaving town for another month in 3 days tho.

My 3x3 airbox'd DR came with a 140 and was running rich - it had black carbon buildup in the combustion chamber and dropped back to idle very quickly after clutching it. It also had very slow throttle response. Going to a 135 literally halved my throttle response time! It also increased top speed, MPG, and better fuel consumption and carbon buildup. I ride at full throttle a lot, so I'm not going to install my 132.5 as I don't want to run lean and have any heat problems, even tho a 132.5 would probably give me even more benefits. 135 is probably the best main jet size for a 3x3'd DR IMO. I'll probably have to switch the jetting all up when I go to my big-bore tho. And don't forget to buy OEM Mikuni jets, size-number ratio varies by manufacturer for some dumb reason.

And speaking of jets, are there any reasons to increase the pilot jet size from the stock 37.5 up to a 40? I have a 40 sitting around, and I'm wondering if installing it would be a good idea.
  17. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    As far as I've seen, going to a larger PJ is rarely indicated unless you're a a pretty low altitude with a heavily modified system.
    If the bike runs best with the fuel mix screw between like 1 and 3 turns out you should be good.
  18. seasider

seasider Just a rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to change rails but do any of you all have a stock exhaust system you would be willing to sell? I want to replace a dg full system and go to quiet.
    Thank you
  19. memopad

memopad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed the Acerbis tank tonight. Looks pretty good, fit is great. I'm trying to figure out the best way to route the fuel line between the two petcocks, anyone have any suggestions on what works best for that? Any photos? Thanks!
  20. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Not a close up but you should be able to see how I routed the dual fuel lines.
    Some people have plugged the right one. I figured having two is like having a built in spare.
    DR350 river.JPG DR350 forest.JPG
    memopad likes this.