1. eNewsletter Sign Up

DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. Friedom

Friedom Onward and upward!

Oddometer:
    Here it is tapatalk_1559762936.jpg
  2. PWNDuallydad

PWNDuallydad n00b

Oddometer:
    First time posting here on ADVrider and new to the adventure riding as well. A 3000+ page thread is pretty intimidating but ill give it a shot! You guys/gals have a lot of good information here and I am super excited to explore it.

I have recently picked up a 1999 DR350SE with about 1700 miles on it! Im am really excited about this bike because its in good shape and was kept in a garage for almost all of those 20 years it seems! I have recently been going through some maintenance items on it and I have two things that stand out to me right now
    1. Its seems to have the common issue of having a hard time getting it into neutral when the engine is running. And it also slips a little when pulling really hard in the higher RPMs. The slip isn't enough of a problem right now but I feel I will have to address these issues soon.
    2. When the engine is cold there is a odd higher pitch noise going on with RPM of the engine (kind of sounds like a starter motor winding away??) After the engine warms up the noise almost completely goes away. I kind just faintly make out the sound but its almost completely gone. I have watch a lot of other DR350 videos and I can't seem to find the same noise as my cold engine. Any ideas?
    So far I have changed the oil and filter with Shell 10W40 motor cycle oil (dyno oil). Check valve clearances on intake and exhaust valves (no changes required). Adjusted clutch cable to have appropriate free play in handle.

And ideas about the noise would be greatly appreciated. Maybe its just they way these sound cold?? I don't have a lot of comparisons.

Cant wait to get this thing up in the hills!

Attached Files:

3. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
  4. turboguzzi

turboguzzi Casual rooster

Oddometer:
    we have good gasolien here in italy, 95 is std, and you can easily find 98 or even 100 .... but even witht the stock 95 we have i didnt experience proper detonation prior to the jetting change, but i remember thinking that motor run a bit hot in highway use. i certainly feels more normal temp after a highway run now with the 140 + one washer under needle...
  5. turboguzzi

Oddometer:
    to sort that in mine i did the basket mod where you grind off some width from the gear in the back of it + I replaced the crappy aftermarket friction plates it had and went with OEM. neutral easy to find now.

Attached Files:

6. PWNDuallydad

PWNDuallydad n00b

Oddometer:
  7. cavebiker

cavebiker Old School Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright! Good thread. Vintage Baja race bike project update :bmwrider
    [​IMG]
    The power increase with the new exhaust and jets is unbelievable. I now have a solid BRAAP with the power to match and the slow throttle response i thought was from the diaphragm carb is now gone. Wow is all I can say.

Ready to Kick Ass --> NORRA Mexican 1000 2020' :super Vintage Lites class
  8. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    Original CV carburetor with 100% original jetting. Also 100% original airbox and muffler.
  9. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your DR acquisition! Regarding the noise:
    While the audio in a video is NEVER the same as hearing it in person, my buddy’s 350 has the same “whine” as yours upon initial start-up (at least as near as I can tell from the audio). My kick start does not. E-start bikes have some extra gears and a one-way clutch on the starter side that I imagine will make some noise until they warm up/get enough oil to quiet down. I wouldn’t worry about it, and don’t hear anything dangerous going on in your video.
  10. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, I'll stick with stock. Apparently I'm hard enough on stuff and should not be pushing more power through the engine :)
    plugeye likes this.
  11. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    What “Da-man” said^ Stock 350 feels plenty powerful to me (would to you too if, like me, you were riding a 250).
  12. turboguzzi

Oddometer:
    the try upping to a 140 main + thin washer under needle, easily reversible if you dont like it or plug gets too dark. might well be the reason for your piston fail (and mine too).
  13. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might be worth bumping the main up by one. I think the 127.5 is overly lean.
  14. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't see an update on your build thread.
    cavebiker likes this.
  16. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a beauty.
    Make sure you check the engine oil level religiously.
    Mine seems to whine a little when cold as well.
    Clutch drag and clutch slip can both be attributed to poor cable adjustment. But they are opposites and you shouldn't have one with the other. The cable adjustment is a fine touch thing. Changes when the bike is warm too. Wouldn't think that it any of your disks would be worn out at only 1750 miles.

Of the 3K pages, there are probably only 20 topics that keep repeating. If you are reading this from the start, maybe keep a page with links that we can put in the front. Like a table of contents. Would be helpful for us to find details on repairs and topics.
  17. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    127.5 to 140 is quite a jump: 5 steps. Don't think this will work out that well with a stock airbox. I know DR350s with cut boxes and 140 that reek of unburnt fuel.
  18. turboguzzi

Oddometer:
    believe it or not, early 350 CV carbs had 135 stock...check item 21...
    https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3aa98f8700220d0b71fbf/carburetor-model-l-m
    Then they went leaner as emissions started to tighten
    mine has stock airbox with hiflo foam, stock muffler... plug has now the right tan color (can send pic), no fuel reek, but youll have to trust me on that, hard to upload smells in the forum :)
    only mod i have is that i took out the airbox rubber snorkel and built a nice smooth stack without the split wall
    not saying it will work for everybody, it did for me, sure im helped by having a nice assortment of jets from a garage that closed to play with :)

Attached Files:

• jets.jpg
      jets.jpg
      File size:
      158.4 KB
      Views:
  19. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you really Jesse Kien in disguise?
  20. turboguzzi