DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me Too! I recently acquired 2 DR350's, one for me and the other for a friend, mine is a 1991 S and his a 98 SE. Mine had been kick started on the kick stand for years so it had touched the swing arm a little, the 98 kick stand is fine, no slop in it. I could not get the bolt out of the 91 kick stand so I had to drill it, luckily I had a new kick stand on hand and a used Honda kick stand bolt the same size laying around. All good now and I can probably save the one I drilled out too if I get new hardware for it.

I was also going to say I appreciate all the jetting talk lately as I had to clean both carbs, I actually used a Dynojet kit on the 1991 carb, it worked really well, and ended up getting a TM33 pumper kit as well. I put the 91 carb on the 98 and put the pumper on the 91, hoping it would start easier being a kick start only model. Well, that wasn't the case, had a lot of trouble with it and played with the jetting and all kinds of adjustments. The first time I pulled the bowl the plunger and spring were reversed and I thought that was the problem as the pumper would not be pumping with the spring above the plunger! But, that was not the only problem, I finally traced it down to a pilot jet hole that was was partially plugged in the carb body above the threads from the manufacturing process, must've been small aluminum shavings because I saw it blow out but couldn't tell what it was. The symptoms on the TM33 were, started easy but would die when backing off the throttle, then it would die and be hard to start. Had a lot of popping on decel but ran good.

Now it starts easy and runs well with minimal popping on decel. I was about ready to try and return the TM33, it was that bad and impossible to tune. But all is good now, snorkel in place 127.5 main, 40 pilot, 2.5 turns out and 3rd groove on the clip, bike has a Cobra slip on otherwise stock with a Uni filter. I have a spare airbox and may modify it in the future but I am about TM33'd out at the moment! I must've taken that carb off 8 times, not hard to do just no results were disappointing. I also noticed the stock intake clamp bottoms out just as it gets tight on the carb and may create a vacuum leak, I used a different clamp to tighten it down a little more. Just wanted everyone to know there can be issues even with new parts and check and double check everything if you're having problems, I would never have thought to look that hard at a new carb but I knew the jetting had to be in the ball park and something else was amiss. BTW, I was using all factory Mikuni jets on the TM33 to rule out any other confusion.
  2. Steinarsv

Steinarsv Who cares about the destination?

Oddometer:
    Anyone got a complete airbox with lid, mudguard, hoses for sale?

Bought a project bike without it..

92 DR 350, CV carb, european.

Live in Norway

IMG_20201009_175653.jpg
    Hamburgerhotdog and Greg Bender like this.
  3. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that is a fun looking DR350!

Regards,

Gregory Bender
    Steinarsv likes this.
  4. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
  5. Hamburgerhotdog

Hamburgerhotdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I added one to the stable! Picked up a 2020 Z900 a week ago so I won't be without a bike when I work on the DR! Tired suspension, pulsing and squishy brakes, worn out rubber and surface rust...almost at 19K miles so it's time for some much needed refreshing. I won't be going all out of course, I just splurged! Now that I have a proper street bike I can revert back to knobby tires for the DR. It'll be the woods bike!

2020 1011 - Copy.jpg IMG_0288 - Copy.jpg
    Wahoo_ and Greg Bender like this.
  6. Steinarsv

Oddometer:
  7. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    ewww
  8. Steinarsv

Oddometer:
    Found this, jumped at it.

Screenshot_20201011_182715_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Looking forward to this.

Hope the tank wont just be in the way...

received_642262446476412.jpeg
    plugeye likes this.
  9. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    That's a stark contrast between bikes!

Ok another BST question - anyone have a preference between the procycle extended and remote fuel screws? The extended looks like it's just enough to be able to get up there and adjust, whereas the remote could probably be mounted to be reachable while riding :lol3

I've got the bike running reliably again, but definitely want to keep tinkering to get it running as smooth as possible. I bumped the needle up a notch and it lessened the flat spot, but there's still a little dip at about 1/8 throttle.
  10. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does the symptom at 1/8 opening improve or get worse as the engine warms? What jet needle is installed? How many miles are there on the carburetor? Have the slide lift holes been drilled? Has the slide spring been clipped? What is the fuel level in the float bowl? What is the float height?

Regards,

Derek
  11. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    I wish I even knew how to answer some of those :lol3

The flat spot seems to stay the same regardless of engine temp. No idea on needle, it's got 6 clip positions and was installed by the PO. Odometer doesn't work so no idea how many miles on the carb. The slide does have a fair amount of wear. I don't believe there has been anything drilled out on it. Slide spring looks completely intact. No idea how to measure float bowl level/height.
  12. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    So far I have not seen anyone actually use one of the remote screws.

It doesn't look like it would work with a E start
    Hatch likes this.
  13. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    What was the effect of raising the needle on the 1/8 opening symptom?
    Six clip positions indicate that it is a Dynojet needle, which I'm not a big fan of because the shapes are not typically all that good and because the stainless material they are made of accelerates emulsion tube wear.
    Given the condition of the slide, it's probably a good idea to inspect the slide guide for wear (see https://store.moto-lab.com/articles/bst33-slide-guide-wear-indicators).
    You can confirm by measuring the slide lift hole diameters. They should be no larger than 2.5 mm.
    The spring should not have an open coil on either end.
    Fuel level is measured with a fuel level measuring tool attached to the float bowl's drain barb. Float height is set via a float height tool (see https://store.moto-lab.com/articles/float-height-setting-tool-instructions-bst33-carburetors).

Regards,

Derek
    Hamburgerhotdog and Hatch like this.
  14. big-g-nm

big-g-nm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Huh? When I clicked on the link it shows $23.85 for shipping (still high, IMO) but even then the total is is less than $40.00.
  15. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    He's in Norway
    brianpeck likes this.
  16. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kind of looks familiar, like I have seen the build report before.

Hope there is still enough dr350 to mount the airbox to.
  17. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    nice, I didn’t realize you were THE motolab :lol3

I can confirm that the slide has not been drilled and the spring is fully intact.

As you can see though, plenty of wear on the slide itself - how in the world do you extract the slide guide? Seems press-fit...

Attached Files:

18. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's held in by the emulsion tube, which is held in by the main jet. It often comes out with the emulsion tube. If not, then, after the emulsion tube is removed, hooking a finger in the half-round slot and pulling will do it.

Regards,

Derek
    Greg Bender and Hatch like this.
  19. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    hm, well even with the main jet removed, it ain't budging. maybe someone glued it in?
  20. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has the emulsion tube been removed?

Regards,

Derek