DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. DaveJ_U.P.Rider

DaveJ_U.P.Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have this 93 DR250 I purchased for my Daughter to ride and to have as a buddy bike in my garage. I found myself riding this bike a handful of times this past summer and really enjoying it. The DR' s are great trail bikes, easy to ride, reliable, and just flat out Fun Bikes !! 20201005_204727.jpg 20201005_205020.jpg 20201005_171533.jpg 20201005_181810.jpg 20201005_182131.jpg
  2. irk miller

irk miller Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a dirt model parts bike of unknown vintage, but appears pre-95 based on the forks. It came with this rear shock rebuilt at some point by Pro-Action, if the sticker is any indication. Am I correct in assuming this is a street shock, since it lacks the rebound damper? I still need to find length for each version and figure out if it’s actually straight, then decide if I should swap it out on my 92 S.

DC4B20BE-1A2F-4409-83B8-9F766D26534C.jpeg
    Greg Bender likes this.
  3. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    it HAS the rebound dampening adjustment. all good, although the shaft appears bent or its the picture distortion
  4. irk miller

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I misspoke about the rebound damper. Referring to the rubber (bumper?) on the shaft. Unless there is another difference I haven't figured out between dirt and street. As far as bend, I think you are confirming what I think I see, which is a bent shaft.
    plugeye likes this.
  5. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last night I cleaned out the corner of my garage where I work on my moto's. Fi
    They all had a rubber bottom out bump stop. By now they have also all deteriorated to dust. There were 2 different street models. Only one dirt.
    Remove the spring. Just unscrew the preload collar. THe spring pad is split and once the spring is not pushing on it will come apart so you can slip the spring off. No NEED to remove the reservoir hose like I see people do. Without the spring you should be able to cycle and spin the piston by hand. It will be obvious if it is bent.
    afordableperformance and spacely like this.
  6. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    Guys, I've been trying for almost half a year now to get my 98 dirt model to run right. It ran well when I got it in 2017, and continued to do so until early spring of 2020, when I took it for a long ride that included close to 50 miles of pavement, and the carb basicslly fell apart internally.
    The screws holding the slider to the lift mechanism came out, and the clip on the needle came off, as well as the bolt that holds the slider linkage to the throttle shaft had backed out. I cleaned everything and put the carb back together, and although it starts on the 2nd kick easily, it sputters like crazy at any throttle position that isn't idle or WFO. It acts like it isn't getting enough fuel, maybe firing only every other revolution ir something.
    I have tried the needle clip in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grooves, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. I have checked the petcock, and replaced the hose from petcock to carb, as well as a new filter. I'm running fresh gas and a new NGK spark plug.
    This bike ran great and had good power until the carb rattled apart that day, so I'm just about positive that the carb is where my problem is.
    As far as I know, the bike is stock other than a 4x4 cut airbox and Supertrapp muffler.
    I'm on the fence of just buying a new carb or parting the bike out...
  7. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its gotta be something in the carb isn't installed properly or something is missing. Look at an exploded view of the carb on a parts website and make sure you have everything the way it should be. Of course your jetting will be a little different than stock probably 37.5/140 and needle in the 3rd clip seems to work well with open exhuast and airbox. Don't overlook the fuel screw either about 2.5 turns out, although your problem probably has to do with the needle.
    thechief86 likes this.
  8. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    replace the carb & ride
  9. thechief86

Oddometer:
    I
    I believe I will. Love the bike too much to give up on it. Got a link for a good place to get one?
  10. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
  11. thechief86

Oddometer:
    I did look at the exploded views, and even replaced some stuff that was missing before I even had a problem, like somehow the accelerator pump lever was missing, but it didn't make a difference. The bike will still pull 3rd gear wheelies and RIPS at WOT. I think I'm just gonna find a new carb for it.
  12. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Thanks Plugeye,
    Anything I need to know about swapping from a TM33 to a BST33?
  13. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah, we come to the club! Re-springing the suspension for your weight makes it all that much better! I put more miles on my DR250S (about 50/50 street/dirt) than my Africa Twin last year.
  14. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stick with the TM33 its the best carb for the DR and your inlet and cables and throttle are already TM33. They can be bought new at a few places in the $230-$260 range, just look online a little you'll find one.
  15. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    just need intake manifold & airbox boot, cables
    thechief86 likes this.
  16. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
  17. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well this year has been a little bit of a bust for me motorcycle riding wise. Most of my rides are work commute related. Without my commute, there goes most of my riding.
    I have been been searching for a riding partner, by taking friends out on my spare bike. I do 99% of my riding solo. One friend in particular really took to it and was a very good rider. He is all excited to get into ADV riding. "You know we just call it riding..." Anyways we debate on getting my spare bike street legal and such, and he buying a new bike. He had his eye on a KTM ADV390, you know cause if it has the "ADV" in the name of the bike it must be good for ADV'ing. Ok enough jesting. I tell him he is probably better off getting a more dirt oriented bike if he wants to be a more dirt oriented rider. Boom a couple of weeks ago he buys himself a WR250 with rear rack and saddlebags. PERFECT!!! Now it is time we do an overnighter before the snow falls (though last night it got to the single digits and it has yet to warm up above freezing). So what to do but to tear down my bike.

First I need to add some luggage. I have only done 2 overnighters on my bike. One fully and other partially supported. Many years ago I had been wanting to get some Turbo City Inc racks. I had their top rack but wanted a full saddle bag rack. I lagged on purchasing them and then the company went under. Someone (@Anonawesome ?) sent me a link to the some selling a new in box rack that I snatched up. I have been using this rack for the last season or 2 with only a top box mounted. Pulled the bike into the garage to work on it.
    20201021_185550.jpg
    Bought some Nelson Rig panniers and test fit them. oh that looks wide.
    bags.jpg
    Looked in the rack box for the little support shelf and find this extra bent piece. Didn't even know it had been hiding in there. This is a side rack to frame support. Guess I need this piece.
    20201021_192644.jpg
    Now a question for someone that maybe has some experience with TCI racks. These racks come with a bottom support. The bags are intended to hang off your rack. Should I run with or without the bottom support. Will it wear of the bottom of the bags?
    bags2.jpg
    bags3.jpg
    Here is a picture of how the bags strap to the rack. It has some little top strap guides. TCI recommends that you route the straps on top of the rack. I think that I will move it below so that it does not interfere when the top box is mounted. Also might consider mounting to the aft of the front guide to give myself a little more cockpit room.
    bag1.jpg
    The bike now looks like this. Trying to get the Trail Tech Vapor Speedo working right. And like always clean up the wiring.
    20201022_213732.jpg
    What do you think of this tire?? How much life you think I have on it?
    20201022_181443.jpg
    thechief86 likes this.
  18. Anonawesome

Anonawesome Scenic Rider

Oddometer:
    I have been summoned!

Yes I think I alerted you to that one. I haven't taken mine off since the day I put it on probably 25k miles ago. That squiggly support piece probably helps a lot with rigidity. I've dropped mine countless times and it's never budged a millimeter.

I run some Wolfman dry bags similar to yours and they don't stick out quite as far. They DO act as airbags though, when a young driver backs into the bike and knocks it over on the pavement. :fpalm

I strongly suggest AGAINST running the bottom bag support piece. The first time I was standing, and had to quickly jab my foot down, my leg came back up and smacked the support. I ended up with a big ole bruise on my calf and never put them back on.
  19. irk miller

Oddometer:
    Sure wish those TCI racks were still available. Looks like I'll be making my own rack.
  20. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is the kind of input that I was looking for. THANKS!!
    Anonawesome likes this.