DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is how I usually do it. Getting a knee in there at times too. But it is always a struggle. The jack made it effortless. Getting g old I guess.
  2. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    When I did my rebuild and I reinstalled the rear wheel, it was the first time I noticed the offset. Thinking something was “wrong,” I stripped-off the tire, etc. (full disclosure: I did try to “fix” it with the tire on…bad idea), and started “working the spokes” to shift the wheel over to center. Got it pretty close too!
  3. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    Could not be happier with this decision, cranks with confidence. Thanks Jeff for steering me in the right direction.

Attached Files:

Jeff@TheQuadShop likes this.
  4. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Great! I've had mine for a little over 3 years now, it still starts strong even after sitting for many weeks.
  5. mtn.moto.adv

mtn.moto.adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ran into a strange issue, my battery terminals must've gotten too dirty cause today when I tried to start my bike today all the power was killed after pushing the e-start. I tried to test the voltage with my voltmeter in the dash but I found out the fuse was burnt out too. So I cleaned the battery terminals and connected everything back up, turn on the ignition and started the bike up and everything was working fine.

But then I went to turn off the bike and for some reason it continued running with the ignition switch turned off, I had to use the kill switch to turn off the bike. Restarted the bike and the issue persisted. Did my ignition switch just take a crap on me? do I need to replace it or is it something that can be fixed at home, or an entirely different issue all together?

edit: I forgot to note earlier that when I turn off the key ignition all the lights and everything turn off as normal, it's just the engine itself continues to run until I hit the killswitch
  6. plugeye

plugeye MC rescue

Oddometer:
    i have one doing that as well. the normally closed pole is shot. you can sometimes wiggle to kill, but just use the stop switch for now. i ended up bypassing it with a rocker switch, now keyless and the freedom is great.
  7. mas335

mas335 xendurist

Oddometer:
    Are all the DR keyed ignition switches the same and connect to the main harness without a problem?
  8. mtn.moto.adv

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to find new OEM ignition switches from Suzuki or am I going to have to go the used route? All I was really able to find on Ebay were cheap switches being sent from China
  9. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    Boblosi111 likes this.
  10. mtn.moto.adv

Oddometer:
    Mine's a 1995 SE model. The previous owner swapped out the forks so none of the original dash is there or the handlebar lock assembly stuff, just the plastic housing for the key tumbler and switch remains (idk if that makes any difference but figured I'd make notice of it)

edit: I couldn't seem to find that part on Rocky Mountain when searching the part # but did find it on Revzilla so will go ahead and order it. I was planning on doing a little overnight camping trip ~100 miles away this week, do you guys think it'd be okay running there with the shot ignition switch or should I postpone an extended trip until the new one arrives?
  11. mtn.moto.adv

Oddometer:
    Update on the ignition issue: I went back into the battery and cleaned up all the connections really good and noticed the ground wire for one of my accessories had a weak terminal, replaced it and also bought some longer battery terminal screws (since the original ones didn't want to reach the nut with the aux terminals connected to the battery without some work), also my dash's volt meter fuse was blown so replace that as well.. started up the bike and then turned off the ignition and now everything's back to working like normal. Started it up and turned it off a handful of times and getting consistent results.

Can't say for certain what fixed it but I can only assume the issue was somewhere within having a bad ground perhaps? Whatever it was I'm just glad I didn't have to drop $60+ on a new ignition.
  12. Ibraz

Ibraz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are pictures of a head of a local DR350 rider that just came back from an overhaul at CVtech.
    Cam journals and rockers were repaired.

C8714514-F149-4985-A2AD-D190CBC966BB.jpeg B0053EBF-5AF9-4406-8C14-D22058B6AF27.jpeg
  13. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I picked up this 97 yesterday, I already have a new 441 cylinder and piston sitting here so I'm going to build this motor for my personal bike and end up with two motors. I'll also be installing a wide ratio gear set.

217338917_4138203816264000_1266301895028862515_n.jpg
    drhippie2, Tygen1, MotoDane and 7 others like this.
  14. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    Noice!
  15. markk900

markk900 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any idea why the S/SE model gas tanks have those silly plastic ears on them? You can't take them off without making the bike ugly but that's 6 parts (4 screws and 2 panels) and 2 extra steps on the assembly line for what? The tank was unique to the DR so why not just press the tank into the shape they wanted and solve both the aesthetic (if that was the reason) problem and the assembly optimization all in one go?

I ask because @Jeff@TheQuadShop 's new acquisition is missing them.....and its been bugging me for a while.
    Jeff@TheQuadShop likes this.
  16. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have thought about this too. I assumed it was for crash protection. The lower corner gets hit easily. Replaceable crash panels. ???
    Jeff@TheQuadShop and markk900 like this.
  18. markk900

markk900 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could be but have you *ever* seen someone replace them? (Well maybe Jeff has to now! :) )
  19. markk900

markk900 Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Oddometer:
    I have a couple spares. LOL