DR350 vs. DRZ400

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by earling, Apr 26, 2008.

1. GOT DIRT?

GOT DIRT? Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Earling,next time I am up that way I will PM you.May 18th the Berkshire Trail Riders are having a dual sport ride that starts at Tuckers resturant on RT8 down in sandsfield. Its a great time I can't make it this year I will be out of town for work. You can find a thread for it in the regional forums.
  2. earling

earling moto-xer turned trailie

Oddometer:
    Got Dirt,
    thanks for the info. I'll check out that dual sport ride--I was reading about one from a few years ago, sounds like fun.
    Would love to hear from you if you're up this way, mabye hit some trails . . .
  3. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    What! I wanted to see how much you have improved since last year.
  4. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    I rode a DRZ-400S for several years.

I have ridden several DR-350s, several people I know have them or had them.

I think the DRZ is a better bike all around. However it isn't as if one can go where the other can't. I also feel like I sat in the DR and on the DRZ.

Personally there is no way I would pick a DR over a DRZ. But to some people that a DR would generally be cheaper (since older) and simpler makes the choice different for them. Getting harder to find good DRs though. They have not been made in quite a while and a lot of them are a bit beat now.

A DR is a fine used bike but I don't think there is much question that a DRZ is a better bike.
  5. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't like the sitting in feeling of the DR either, a $54 tall/firm seat from Guts fixed that though:deal I think you'd have to define better a certain way in order to say there's not much question that the DRZ is better. Better in that I could turn faster lap times on one that's been properly setup yes no doubt, better in that its more likely to make it home or more versatile perhaps not. With a 6 spd trans and no rads to break, no thin engine cases to easily puncture etc the 350 is much less fragile, of course at the cost of some performance. I guess the performance bit didn't matter to me much since both bikes truly suck compared to what I usually ride off road and I just wanted a versatile play bike for getting groceries, exploring etc. For a somewhat talented rider doing hard charging off road riding the DRZ has the clear advantage I'll readily agree.
    toypro1 likes this.
  6. DualSportDad

DualSportDad Long timer

Oddometer:
    i love my dr350. i was going to sell it to get a drz but i decided to keep it and get a drz (or a xr650r). i ride with a couple friends that have drz's and find they keep stalling thier bikes in the tighter stuff. my 6 speeds keep me going right along in the tight stuff no problem. i have also seen them all have problems with cooling.

i do however think that the drz is a all around better bike. esp throttle response wise. i also think both bikes are very small. i'm 6'6 and both bikes feel small to me.

if you become a better rider you will be able to ride that dr very well and smoke most in the trails no matter what they are riding.

here's a video of my bike, only mods performance wise is the air box mod.

2nd gear wheelie to start and switch to 3rd, no clutch to get it up or to shift.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/_/_vid51.photobucket.com_albums_f366_SwapDOHC_MVI_2412.flv"></embed>
  7. GOT DIRT?

Oddometer:
    Earling,I will pm you next time I go for a ride up that way. I recently got a new job and the next month is going to be very busy.Rusty, I told you at the last meeting I was going to be away.Are you going to the meeting tomorrow?

I agree the DR350 is a good bike.I was ready to move to the next level.I wanted a 4T,electric start,6 speed,at least a 350cc,and it had to have a plate.The best bike I could find was a KTM400exc.I have to tell you I am very cheap.But I decided to spend a little more money and buy the KTM. All I have to say is the thing is great.I can't beleive how smooth the power is and how light it feels.Drtytim when are you going to take for a ride?

Attached Files:

8. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    DOH! I guess I do recall that you told me now that you mention it. Thurs nite see you there.
  9. Mulekick

Mulekick 2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer:

I can't do that on my DR.......:cry

Yet......:evil
  10. DualSportDad

DualSportDad Long timer

Oddometer:
    all it takes is practice. it's fun learning to
  11. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    The rubber boots that the carb connects two are different sizes and the throttle cables are different - you can buy the parts from the dirt model DR. If you have an E-start model the float bowl will hit the starter, Jessie sells a nice aluminum spacer to set the carb back a little bit. Works a treat:clap Jessie sells the pumper carbs complete with proper jetting and everything you need to bolt them on - well worth buying his kit imho:)
    toypro1 likes this.
  12. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    My brother has a DRZ, and he kept stalling in the tight stuff too.

Turns out it was the kickstand switch. Whenever he came down hard with the throttle off, the stand would (from inertia) swing down enough to kill the ignition momemtarily and the engine would shut off.
  13. earling

earling moto-xer turned trailie

Oddometer:
    Got Dirt,
    yeah, PM me if you're up this way. How's that EXC on the road? I can't really afford a road bike and a trail bike right now, but I want to do both things. I would like to be able to put saddlebags on whatever I get and do about 150 miles on the motorway without undo suffering . .. I read somewhere the EXC doesn't have any cush in the final drive or r. hub, a bunch of other reasons not to road ride it much...

anyhow, I'm no closer to deciding what to do with the DR. It IS a ton of fun in tight street stuff, get your knee down (almost), too bad it doesn't have 650 power . . .
  14. DualSportDad

DualSportDad Long timer

Oddometer:
    na that's not what it is. my buddy has that mod done to his bike already. he said he needs to drop a tooth on the front sprocket. i'm going to try riding his bike this weekend and see what i think.
  15. GOT DIRT?

Oddometer:
    Earling, If you want to ride the street,like you said keep the DR.I have a street bike so I can use that on long rides.I have heard of people putting on cush drive hubs off of a LC4 on rfs bikes.The 400 is not that bad on the street,I run non DOT tires so I do not take it on long pavement rides.
    I am not sure what mods you have done to the DR,but you are one step ahead of me with the 99,that has the better suspension.On my 94 I put on CR high bend handlebars(helps a lot when you have to stand up), a FMF Q slip on,Dynojet stage 2 jet kit,The air box mod(cut a 3 x 3 inch hole in to the top of the air box),the t-vent mod(find the vent hose off the carb that runs up into the frame put a T in it and run one hose back up into the frame and the other hose down to the ground)and I ran 14/43 gearing(worked really good for New England riding).I thought about the pumper carb mod on my DR but did not want to spend the money.The mods I did to the DR made it a totally different bike it had great power from idle all the way to the top of the rev range.The bike had tractor like torque after the mods.I bought most of the parts on ebay and spend between $300 and $400.If you have any other questions you can PM me.
  16. supermuble

supermuble n00b

Oddometer:
    Today I rode 40 miles in the thickest, nastiest wooded trails imaginable, up rock hills that weren't passable, and on long fire roads, gravel roads, mud roads, and roads covered in fine silt. I drove on a DR-350 (1994 DR350 dirt only model) and part way through I switched to a DRZ-400 (2004 dirt only model).

For those of you who have never owned a DR350 or a DRZ400, rest assured, I will give you a straight answer.

The DR-350 has just as much acceleration as the DRZ400 and actually feels just as torquey, or even slightly more torquey at lower RPM's. The only difference with the DRZ400 is that it continues to pull higher RPM's after the DR has signed off.

Do not listen to anyone who says the DR350 is a grandpas bike. They make 2 types of DR's and 2 types of DRZ's. The dirt only models are the ones you want, since they have more compression, and pumper carbs, and have more horsepower. A side by side comparison of a pumper carb DR350 vs a pumper carb DRZ400 won't yield a big difference. In fact, I would rather drive the DR350 on wooded trails and fire roads.

Today I rode full throttle on the DR350 and I rode full throttle on the DRZ400. Both bikes accelerate the same on fire roads and back wooded trails, with the older DR350 having slightly more torque off the line, but both bikes are nearly identical. The myths of the DRZ400 being way different only applies at the "higher rev" range where it takes off like a rocket. I found that the higher RPM powerband on the DRZ400 was totally, completely unuseable on real world back country trails. By the time the high RPM power kicks in you are already going way too fast, and you have to slow down. On real world trails there was only a slight difference in acceleration using the DRZ400 because you cannot use the high RPM power on tight wooded trails. My friend who owns the DRZ400 said the DR350 feels similar to his bike, power wise, although the DRZ400 does obviously have more top end horsepower, but the seat of the pants torque isn't much different.

The DR350 is softer, handles fine at ridiculous speeds, and doesn't need any changes to the suspension for heavy woods riding. I am 200 lbs and you can ride the absolute piss out of the DR350 on extremely rough roads at nearly full throttle and it just absorbs everything without any glitch whatsoever.

The DRZ400 is a lot of bike, but is TOTALLY unnecessary for the average person who just wants to ride fast off road on wooded trails, and windy gravel roads. Where the DRZ400 really shines is when you hit asphault, then you can open it up and use those rev's, so as a dual sport, the DRZ400 is a better bike, all around, but unless you are racing, the extra power isn't really useable or useful, and it costs at least twice as much. I love both bikes and the DRZ400 shifts with half the effort, and half of the "throw" on the shift lever, so it's more refined, not to mention you can go faster on it if you are racing, but how many of us are buying these bikes to race?

I love my DR350, it has plenty of power. The throttle response of the DR350 with the pumper carb, the TM33 stock pumper, is just ridiculous, it never once bogs, no matter what gear, no matter what the terrain is, the motor just wants to go. If you have been reading these forums wondering if a DR350 is good, the answer is yes. I had no idea they were so good. I have owned 2 DR-350's and 1 DR-250, and my roommate has the DRZ400, which he bought to replace his XR500. My roommate rode the XR500 for years and says the DR350 is more revv happy and feels more powerful than the XR500, because it's lighter.

The one thing about the DR350, for a big bore single, it has some serious revs, the engine pulls very well up into the high RPM range, but it also has a ton of torque, so the engine has power everywhere, it doesn't fall on it's face at higher RPM's, like a 500 thumper, and it doesn't bog out of the hole like an XR200 or DR250. I am extremely shocked at the overall strength of the DR350 engine, it always wants to accelerate whether you have the engine idling or screaming down the road, certainly a very useful engine overall and always makes me smile when I ride it.

So that's my take on it! Now I've contributed to this never ending debate about which is better. Neither is better, but the DR350 is plenty of bike! Don't listen to the naysayers! (Just make sure they are talking about the TM33 pumper carb dirt model DR350 when they start saying they are a slow bike, they aren't slow by any means.)

Spokane, WA:1drink
  17. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    supermuble......first post!

[​IMG]

:freaky
  18. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Now if someone could just Email his post to 2008 it might even be slightly relevant.:lol3
  19. mustangwagz

mustangwagz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so i wonder what the guy ended up buying? lol never seen this thread till today! i still vote DR! lol ...anyhow, back to the dr350 thread for me...bahahhaha
  20. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    I would give the edge to the 97+ DR350SE for the 6-speed tranny and E-start.

Yes, I know the S model DRZ is E-start, but it also has a cooler cam, non-pumper carb, etc.

The Tranny alone makes the DR a better bike, as it is a huge achilles heel of the DRZ.