DR650 3rd gear blowups

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by NordieBoy, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Big Willy

Big Willy Gen. Italia

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that...phark Suzuki...they know it is a numbers game
  2. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another one. 2008 with 39,000km. Gearbox went crunch with no warning. Straight road, changing from 4th to 5th. Yet to pull it apart but plenty of fragments in the oil and glitter in the filter.
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  3. Bandit 1

Bandit 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any update on what the problem turned out to be?
  4. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't got it fully to bits yet (need a flywheel puller) but looks like the third gear cog self destructed. I never loaded the bike up. Took the pillion pegs off, so never two up. I do ride it hard though, and the only thing i can think of to cause this is the massive amount of engine braking I use going into corners as the brakes are so shit. I'm in two minds whether to fix or part the bike out.
  5. ChronicTinkerer

ChronicTinkerer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had to decide whether to part out or fix also. I ended up rebuilding a motor from a mix-matched top and bottom end I was able to get thanks to a kind guy on the forum. Financially, I think it's probably better to part out, but the hassle of doing that ultimately convinced me to rebuild. I'm happy to have my bike back in working order.

A few hundred miles on the new motor and I have grown to mostly trust it, but the memory of the engine going "CRUNCH" still haunts me a bit. Best of luck whatever you choose to do.
  6. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    20200328_092105.jpg

So. Park it? Found it stuck to the magnetic drain plug.
  7. bkoz

bkoz test

Oddometer:
    @Schmokel
    Park it and strip it. Tooth tip or maybe the tooth of a clutch fibre.
    ChronicTinkerer likes this.
  8. Lobo500

Lobo500 n00b

Oddometer:
    Just found this helpful thread trying to diagnose rumbling in 3rd gear.

Pulled the drain plug and it had a gear tooth stuck to it.
    Another point for the statistic for first generation.
    Bike is 91, around 68000 km.
    BergDonk and drhippie2 like this.
  9. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it's a 1991 DR, it's a different bike/motor than what this thread is discussing. Still an interesting data point.
    BergDonk likes this.
  10. MotoActionADV

MotoActionADV Level 16 wizard

Oddometer:
    Sounds like what we just found on my dad's dr650. Little circlip ends on the magnetic drain plug. Gonna see if suzuki warranty will help (it still has some time left on the warranty) but otherwise will be splitting the cases.

Do you need any special tools other than a case splitter to replace the circlip assuming the gears are still in good shape? It is about 10000km on the odometer.

It looks like the photos from your post went missing - do you happen to still have them by chance?
  11. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    There's been a few of these happening unfortunately. There's a few rebuilds over on DRR and I did a couple of specific threads that might help too:
    https://drriders.com/engine-disassembly-t24616.html
    https://drriders.com/engine-assembly-t24634.html

With care, and if you like being challenged, its possible to split the cases without the flywheel being removed, so no puller or ring nut socket. Its far easier to remove them though.

I do have the pics, Google pics plays games though, can you see this one?

[​IMG]
    JRowland likes this.
  12. dmsantam

dmsantam DR and FZ1 rider

Oddometer:
    no :-(
  13. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Screen dump:
    upload_2020-8-31_10-1-11.png

8,xxxk kms IIRC.

I put another gear in there and a new circlip, bit over a day's work. Might need gaskets and definitely some sealant.
    JRowland, Sonny S. and dmsantam like this.
  14. dmsantam

Oddometer:
    You're clearly much better than me at this. It takes me about a day (8am to 4pm) just to do a complete top end on a DR, starting and finishing with a completely assembled bike, ready to go.
  15. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    The pressure was on on this one. Arrived early and was very clean. Maybe an hour to have the engine on the bench, and less than another hour to strip it. Muck about cleaning, gasket scraping and checking, and I had all the bits on hand. Back together the same day and allowed the sealant to cure overnight. Then finished and running late morning the next day. I've done a few DRs now, and got all the tools, not nearly as quick the first time though.
    dmsantam likes this.
  16. MotoActionADV

Oddometer:
    Thank you @BergDonk - i cant see the images from google but i do see your screenshot of all the pics.

Yeah, looks like that might be what happened to us. Here are the pieces found on the magnet. They do look like bits of circlip.
    20200830_155248.jpg

Attached Files:

17. dmsantam

Oddometer:
    I had these pieces come off thousands of km ago. they're only the end of the circlip, and the bit that broke is very thin. That was my call. I will likely open it up to put a nova gearset in there at some point and replace it then. My bike has 118,000km on it so far.
    drhippie2, procycle and JRowland like this.
  18. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the others that have been posted up just seem to be the very ends of the circlips too, which have no effect on gear retention. The one I did though, as per pic, included <> 1/3 of the circlip. No guarantee it all comes out via the sump plug either. A lottery, but if its just the very ends, your call...
    dmsantam likes this.
  19. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    And the pits of circlip can get ground into paste, so might come out on the magnetic plug, but not recognisable as such.
  20. MotoActionADV

Oddometer:
    Indeed... if we knew for sure it's just the ends then i'd just leave it. Cant really tell without opening it up (or waiting for the transmission to lock up).