DR650: Intiminators (fork valving) install & review

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by eakins, May 27, 2009.

1. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Cogent rear for best bang for buck out back.

For your weight and use I'd still add 0.48 fork springs.
  2. psmcn

psmcn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great writeup. Just what i am looking for. After I get the GV/springs in the rear I will seriously consider the intiminators for the forks.

Paul
  3. Tiggleswerth

Tiggleswerth Jansport

Oddometer:
    Just across the river from Marsing, Idaho
    Has anyone else gone from emulators to intiminators or the other way around? Just wondering if we could get any more opinions on the comparative performance of these two products.
  4. frednic

frednic We survived another one!

Oddometer:
    Great write up! thanks a bunch. I just installed mine today. I put in 16 oz in each fork. The oil level was a little lower than 6.5 inches. I was to lazy to fuck around with it any more. I don't see why the oil level would change with the stock set up. It wouldn't matter how much you weighed or what your preferences were for rebound. I read where you asked for others input on how much oil they put into their forks so I thought I'd put my 2 cents in.
  5. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    Oil level affects the quantity of air left to compress in the shock.... more air, more dive on the initial hit, though either valve is much better than stock as far as controlling that.

ATF mixed with Marvel Mystery Oil 50/50 is really close to 5WT fork oil
  6. ADV Dog

ADV Dog Adv dog

Oddometer:
    Great info, but I don't have the denaros to spend on Intiminator.
    I have the Eibach .5 front spring but feel it hars on wasboars.
    I was thinking of dropping to 5w or 7.5w oil (not sure which would work best if at all) to see if it would soften the hit a bit.

If not then I will exchange the springs for some .48.

Any feedback is appreciated.
  7. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Would have thought you'd need to go to 12-15 weight oil with the heavier springs?

How much do you weigh?
    Do you have a big tank?
  8. ~AJ~

~AJ~ Adventure pooper

Oddometer:
    Great to see another positive review of the intiminators. I installed mine last year (around April or so) and love them. So far they have been maintenance free and performed solid the entire time. I was coming from a stock setup so I can't comment on the switch from the emulators but compared to stock, night and day.
  9. NOSIGN

NOSIGN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know what the standard fork spring rate is?
  10. NOSIGN

NOSIGN Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    I thought it was 0.40

It's also a progressive spring.

Something weird going on on the RaceTech site.

They say the stock springs are 0.44 and 5.3 and recommend for me 0.54 and 5.5

When I used their calculator to work out the springs I needed a couple of years ago it was 0.40 and 6.7 stock and recommended 0.46 and 7.6

The springs I got give me the correct static and race sags front and rear.
  12. NOSIGN

NOSIGN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah Nordie... look what i get for the rear

Stock Shock Spring Rate: 5.3 kg/mm (stock)

?
  13. POOT

POOT 1337

Oddometer:
    I'm a relatively light guy (165lbs), and a noob to the adv/thumper world....

I've been wondering whether you guys would think the stock springs in front would do me find with the intiminators in there, or whether a move to progressives are needed.

I've put in progressive springs on my past bike (suzuki GS850....), but that was a totally different ball game, as those springs were already 25 years old with some miles on em.

anyways, it would be interesting to hear. I'm definitely upgrading the rear over winter, as it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to soft, and was gonna do the race-tech gold-valve/spring upgrade. if this product is better than the racetech stuff, then i'd get it instead. trying to go on a budget of some kind....:puke1

POOT
  14. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    At your weight Intiminators combined with the stock springs (they are progressives) would be fine.
  15. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have the RICOR IAS rear shock on their DR650?

A friend of mine has just purchased the RICOR Intiminators and the rear shock for his DR650 from ProCycle. I'm sure this thread will help him with the install. My 2008 KLR650 has the RICOR IAS shock on it and find it a little harsh. Mine has the 220 to 270lb spring. The weight of the bike has been dropped and I took the racks and Pelican hardcases off. That may have stiffened it up too much. The bags are going back on, so that should help. Can't wait for RICOR to make the Intiminators for the KX450F as my bike has those forks on it now.

Nice writeup eakins! I will pass this on to him.

SamM
  16. Otis357

Otis357 Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    Nice write-up - thanks! Im really tempted to pick these up and give them a try.

I put in the Eibach progressive springs front and back 2 years ago and they made a great difference in the ride.. wondering how they springs would work with the Intimidators? SHould I keep them in or go back to the stock springs?
  17. ezrdr55

ezrdr55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I (and many others) have been doing a lot of free R&D for Ricor on their Intimator fork valves on my DL650. I think I finally have them as good as it will get; not great, but as good as it can be. I personally am very hesitant to spend anymore money on Ricor products.
  18. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    I don't think they will ever make Intiminators to fit that type of fork. The inverted forks from a KX450F are more advanced than an Intiminator valve. I think they are just for damper rod forks. :nod
  19. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    I used the stock front springs for a couple of months as I wanted to test their claims and was impressed. Then I went back to my Eibach 0.46 springs and it's even better.

I personally am very happy to spend more with Ricor.
    I'll be getting another pair of DR650 Intiminators for my GSX400 in the future and my DR and XR250 race bike both run Vibranators.

Very happy with their products.
  20. East Coast Rider

East Coast Rider Just Me...

Oddometer:
    Eakins,

GREAT write up!!