DR650 large tank

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by drnova, Mar 27, 2006.

1. drnova

drnova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I posted a question looking for opinions on the Suzi oem gel seat, bash plate & rack ...... I forgot to ask about the pros & cons of various aftermarket large tanks!
    Opinions please.
  2. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMS makes a 4.9 gallon tank and corbin makes a seat to match it. There is also a BIG tank by aqualine (I think)...6+ gallons. I have the Ims and it gives a 220-250 mile range.
  3. Sleepy Weasel

Sleepy Weasel Please feed the weasel

Oddometer:
    I also run the IMS 4.9, though I can't milk that kind of range out of it. I appears to have some kind of medical condition in my right wrist that seems to hurt my gas mileage. The big tank is great, but since I'm running the stock seat, my butt would get more breaks with the factory tank.
    :D
  4. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    The Aqualine tank is huge.... and expensive, but very well made.

I have the IMS as well, and have been very happy with it.
  5. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    +1 IMS :thumb
  6. vospertw

vospertw Adventures on the Cheap

Oddometer:
    Think about where and how you are going to ride. If it's going to be on the street and you want some extended range, buy a big tank. If you are going to be riding off-road, remember weight is weight. If where you are riding allows you to use a 4 gallon tank, don't buy something bigger. I currently have a 4 gallon Acerbis, and I might actually like the 4.9 better, but I haven't needed it (with a little planning). MMP sells both the 4 and 4.9 gal tanks on www.multisurfacemotorcycling.com.
  7. scootertrash

scootertrash Mobile Homie

Oddometer:
    ditto, no complaints with the IMS after replacing the junk petcock gasket with a n O-ring, the blue plastic even matches the 'zook plastic... :thumbup
  8. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Remember, if you have the large tank and you are worried about the weight of 4.9 gallons, you don't have to fill it all the way. I think it is better to have it and not need it (i.e. don't fill it) than need it and not have it. :nod
  9. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Does anybody have a current landed-US cost for that tank?

My plans have been the 4.9 IMS and then strap a $5 2gal cheapy on the rear, if ever needed.
  10. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

Sport touring usa has them, says $549 plus shipping from NC. There's a guy who works there who posts to ADV occasionally, perhaps he'll pop in. http://www.sporttouringusa.com/www/aqualine_safari.html
  11. Tholund

Tholund Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the IMS 4.9 and the Corbin seat. I'm 5' 10" and I got the Corbin made 1" taller, made the ergos even better. My range is about 180 miles (on fumes)...desert jetting.

Dan
  12. CuzinMike

CuzinMike Treedragger

Oddometer:
    Wow, I didn't even know the Aqualine existed. I have yet to be in a situation where I needed that much range, but still cool to know it's out there. BTW, +1 for me on the IMS as well. It works great with the Corbin and I get about 225mile range on the street.
  13. drnova

drnova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info ... think I will order a tank from Clarke
  14. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray Glistening Shaft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Acerbis Makes a 6.6 gallon tank for the DR650 Its white though. It costs about 227$.

Just weighing in on this topic
  15. ktm wrench

ktm wrench motorcycle enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I have 50,00km on my `00' DR650 IMS 21lt tank no problems, ridden rough off road mostly.
    I'm thinking off selling the IMS to buy a Aqualine 30lt tank, I have needed the 500-600km fuel range a few times, plus if I carry the 10lts I sometimes do it opens up other rides in the 700-800km range.
    The Aqualine tanks are clear see through plastic so you can tell at a glance how much fuel left.
    Not sure if they come with tap or if you have to buy it seperatly.
    I wonder why most motorcycle fuel tanks don't have marks on tank to tell you the level of fuel, my `05' GasGas 300ec has a 6 and 3 litre mark on tank and is see through. Too easy.

Cheers Gilg's
  16. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just to let you guys know, the acerbis 4.0 gallon for the 96+ DR650 works with the Corbin seat for the stock DR650 tank.
  17. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist

Oddometer:
    Ditto

If I was to buy one again it would be the aquiline - lots of opportunity to use that range in Oz.
  18. Chillis

Oddometer:
    I'd like the aqualine just because of the added wind protection on the road. Would definitely test posterior endunrance as well!
  19. KTM265

KTM265 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks something like this...
  20. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Here's my 97 DR650 with Acerbis 4.0 gallon tank. Also, of the most interest is the Corbin seat for the stock tank works with this tank.