DR650 Questions

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by RockyMountainHigh, Apr 30, 2006.

1. RockyMountainHigh

RockyMountainHigh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all,
    Long time lurker, first time poster. A big THANKS to everyone on this forum. All of the info here has helped me make the decision as to which motorcycle to purchase. As of yesterday, I'm a new owner of an '06 DR650SE.

I have a tail rack, skid plate and Dunlop 606's on the way. I'm looking at outfitting this thing for some adventure touring and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good places to purchase adventure riding accessories. I'm looking for things like luggage, windscreens...etc. I'm in the process of searching this forum for suggested mods for the bike and will do those as well. Thanks much all!

Shaun
  2. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
  3. sleepywombat

sleepywombat the DR650 pig

Oddometer:
    for a tank you should try www.rvaqualine.com.au they make a 32litre tank for the DR it costs $650 (australian), ive got one on order, you should get 650kms+(390miles+) between fill ups. might be an idea to start a thread asking people what mods theyve done to their DR's ....welcome to the club :freaky
  4. RockyMountainHigh

Oddometer:
    Thanks much for the suggestions. I'm having a blast on this thing so far and can't wait to get some mods done...though its a lot of fun stock!
  5. Win38-55

Win38-55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. ScottJ

ScottJ Wandering Jew/Sally Tribe

Oddometer:
    Mine is stock as far as performance mods are concerned. When I bring mine out to the Rockies it runs great. If your interested in getting rid of your stock tires PM me.
    Also check out this site
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/DR650/
    Have fun it's a great bike.
    Scott
  7. RockyMountainHigh

Oddometer:
    Scott,
    Thanks for the link. That's a great yahoo group. I think I'm holding on to the stock tires for now, never know when I may need them. I will let you know though if I decide otherwise.
  8. KTM265

KTM265 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another good resource site for DR's...

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/

I own a 94 DR 650 and love it. I'm hoping my wife will start riding it when I pick up my 640 Adventure...it's a little tall for her but we'll see.
  9. jmills

jmills Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great choice!
    Im a new 06 dr650 owner myself, and i cant get off it.
  10. rpeldo

rpeldo n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I just bought the EBC clutch kit for my 2006 DR650 and realized the last plate in back is held in by a wire ring washer. This broke upon removal and I was wondering if this will be a problem without it as it seems worthless to me? I also noticed the kit didn't come with the last plate that backs to the push plate which is metal but in the same shape as the cork plates. Should I put this in with the EBC kit? Thanks a million in advance for any advice and help on this!

Rob
  11. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Jenn

Jenn praise seitan! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just want to chime in "Me too!" - I got my DR 650 in June, and have already put on about 5,000 miles! (I only got 3000 miles on my Hawk GT, which I rode from 2/12 to about 6/14 of this year - btw, anyone want to buy a Hawk).

The DR650 is so much easier to ride - it feels much more comfortable (me being in the tall, long leg, knee surgery survivor category) - and way more fun! I can haz suspension!!!
  13. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html
    www.twistedthrottle.com

Both offer what you're looking for.
    I got my springs and IMS tank from procycle and a small MRA "streetshield" from twistedthrottle.
    She's more than capable compared to a KLR for highway use now. (and was better than the KLR off-road before)

I also removed the snorkel, turned out the low-speed mixture screw 2.25 turns from bottom and added a 142.5 main jet that I bought off e-bay for under 5 bucks.
    I had gone the Dynojet route and air-box mod on my earlier 97 DR and my seat of the pants Dyno tells me this mod is just as good without the decrease in fuel economy. (I do run the stock pipe to protect my secret off roading areas though)

My next mod is a smaller front sprocket and I'm done. DR's are great since they don't need much.

Note; "DirtBagz" has a "scout" model (won mine on e-bay for $40.00) that has some pretty good side supports for bags. And the Scouts are small enough to be unobtrusive off road while being big enough to carry my rain-suit on the exhaust side and all my tire changing/fixin tools on the other.

Enjoy the DR650 thread. It's huge but well worth the read!
  14. smilin jack

smilin jack Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard Shaun (RockyMountainHigh). Start looking thru the DR650 pages for pictures. That's what I did, and used their ideas for my improvements. See the following farkles I've made for the bike.

$10 Garage sale windscreen

free-welded up a cargo shelf on left side of bike (2.5 gallon gas can fits & other stuff) mounts using left rear footpeg bolts

free-muffler heat shield-right side- scrap from patio door track

free-rifle boot mounting bracket- uses rear footpeg bolts and right turn signal mounting bolts

Look in my previous posts for pictures of these home made farkles.

Have a soft top box and soft saddle bags (craigslist) and can carry enough gear for a four day camping trip.

Half the fun is making the stuff yourself !!!

Here's a picture on a recent ride to the desert. Stopped on an abandoned section of road to oil the chain. Removed the extra gas can, saddle bags moved to the front etc to balance the bike so rear tire was in the air. Used my 2 ounce oil bottle to lube the chain and was on my way in a few minutes. It was a 600 mile trip in four days of camping.

If you look close behind the rear foot pet, the package shelf can be seen. That's where the gas can fits with several bungies to hold in place. Ridden several thousand miles and haven't lost it yet.

Dave
  15. smilin jack

smilin jack Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shaun,

Here's another picture at Fort Rock State Park in Oregon. The gas can is mounted in this picture. That's about 150 more miles to ride.

Dave
  16. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    Seriously, if I had to lug all that stuff around, I'd just take the car. It simply looks like too much work to securely attach everything.
  17. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Shaun,

I'm not sure if this will work but if you're still listening way back there in 2006... sell your AIG and Lehman Brothers stock.

Oh, and I PM'd you some Powerball numbers that might come in handy.
  18. monkeyfez

monkeyfez Enabler....

Oddometer:
    :poser

Fucking brilliant.
  19. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    you know, I just spend 10 minutes trying to register on their paranoid site with two security questions, an image verification...and to top it off...they don't accept a gmail account. Thanks for telling me in advance paranoid fuckers.