DR650 Rally - LaSal, Utah - Sept. 5-8

Discussion in 'Rallies' started by cyberdos, Jan 4, 2019.

1. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    The DR650 thread is one of the most trafficked threads in all of ADV and through the years it has helped hundreds of riders diagnose problems, accessorize their steeds and navigate around the world. Most importantly, it has created strong bonds within the DR community. However, we've never really tried to put something together as a group although we've talked about it for years.

Let's change that in 2019. :beer

Scott (@DingWeed )and Julie of the 3 Step Hideaway will be hosting the first DR650 Thread Rally.

Although this is being organized as a DR650 rally, of course, all makes of bikes, even those sinfully awful "KDM's" can join. :sweeti We would also love to be as accommodating as we can but, GS riders please note that the closest Starbucks is in the town of Moab. Transportation to and from the event will not be provided. :D All other bikes and unique persons are welcome and we will make up more stereotypes around the campfire as the nights progress.:wink:

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW SHOULD BE LISTED BELOW.
    If it has been talked about in the tread, I'll update it here in this post so you don't have to read the entire thread. If what you're looking for is not clearly listed below, please feel free to ask your questions.

The Details

Date: September 5-8

Place: 3 Step Hideaway, La Sal Utah. [map]

Pricing:
    $225.00 per person, includes tax. If anyone wants a cabin, they can take a 20% discount off of the regular cabin price, for the event. Payment needs to be on arrival for the total price.

Pricing includes:
    A place to camp for 3 nights, 3 Suppers, 3 Breakfasts, nightly campfires, use of shop and facilities. Space at the 3 Step is limited but overflow camping will be provided if needed. Depending on participation numbers we may have to cap the total number of people staying on the premises but there are plenty of places to stay in Moab if it comes to that.

We've asked Scott about tiered payment plans for people coming only to camp and not take part in the food but Scott says that due to past experiences it is a lot simpler to have an all inclusive ticket rather than trying to figure out logistics of who is in, out or other. Please keep in mind that this is an extremely remote location and we should try to be as self sufficient as possible.

Gas:
    The 3 Step has a gas tank that will be made available for the attendees at comparable prices to the area. Even though it is a large tank, we'll have many riders there. There is a general store 22 miles North which carries gas at the tiny town of La Sal. It is only open during normal operating hours (9ish to 6ish). 48 miles Northwest, Moab has plenty of places with gas. Monticello at 33 miles Southwest if you're headed over toward Monument Valley. Plan accordingly.

Showers:
    The location has showers and a hot tub.

Food menu:
    Plain and simple. Cowboy food. Whatever the gang can throw on the grill. Steaks, Hamburgers, Chicken, potatoes and salad. Breakfast will have eggs and toast and whatever can be scrounged up. Bring your own stuff to throw in the fire if you want to splurge. I will be bringing my percolator and lots of Bustelo coffee. Will also be bringing a generator to not tax Scott's resources. If you want to bring your own coffee maker and coffee, we will spare a few plugs.

Plates and cutlery:
    Paper plates and plastic cutlery are provided with the meals.

Cell-phone service:
    None. This is a very remote location. This is important to note when coordinating anything with other riders. Make sure you are ready to unplug and enjoy. :thumb

Pets:
    They are all welcome - as long as you pick up after them. There are a couple of dogs and a few cats on the premises.

Weather:
    Check out post #78 in this thread for details.

Rides:
    GPX tracks available for day loops. However, there will be no guided rides. All riders are riding on there own. There are plenty of places to ride in this beautiful part of the country being so close to both Colorado and Moab.

Keep in mind that although the rally location is close to Moab, it is still 48 miles from the downtown area. Plan your routes accordingly. Above all we want you all to have fun but ride safe.

Mapping resources:
    Disclaimer: No affiliation with any of these sites below. If you have anything to add to the list please let me know. I will continue to add to the list as I find them and deem them useful for you all to use for your own routing.

https://www.discovermoab.com/motorcycle-trail-riding/

http://www.gpskevinadventurerides.com/home/self-guided-rides/moab-10-best-dual-sport-rides

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/508

http://npmaps.com/canyonlands/

http://www.dirtbikeutah.net/moab.html

http://adventr.co/utah-gps-tracks/

Permits:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/dr650-rally-lasal-utah-sept-5-8.1359221/page-13#post-37572090

PM me for signup. If you are uncomfortable with asking any questions here openly, shoot me a PM and we can discuss privately.

Being that the location is remote and off-grid it is critical to have an accurate attendance number so that we can have enough food and supplies ready for everyone and also help manage resources. I will keep a running list of the attendees and update the map of where everyone is coming from in the second post of this thread below.

General Disclaimer:
    This should be common sense but it needs to be stated. I am only providing information regarding this event. Everyone attending this event does so voluntarily and at their own risk. We are not responsible for anything that happens to you, or your equipment/gear neither at the event nor while traveling to or from the event. In case of an accident, damage or loss, you and the involved persons are fully responsible to each other. You accept this by registering for the rally.
    byways, jf781, Terek and 14 others like this.
  2. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    The In List
    1. @cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop Extraordinaire
    2. @Lil' Steve The Beer Whisperer
    3. @NC Rick of Cogent Dynamics which we all know and love. :rayof
    4. (NC Rick +1 [Joyce])
    5. @procycle Yes, THE Procycle. :ricky :nod
    6. (procycle +1 [Mrs procycle]
    7. @dcwilcox
    8. @freewheelin'
    9. @GoingSolo
    10. (GoingSolo +1)
    11. @yehaaa6
    12. (yehaaa6+1)
    13. @psmcd Mr. Arm chair instigator
    14. (psmcd +1)
    15. @Beaumont Paco
    16. @drhippie2 Aussie fisher
    17. (drhippie2 +1)
    18. @TaZ9
    19. @wee-twin
    20. @joefromsf The Cliffhanger
    21. @Buckee
    22. (Buckee +1) buckee wife
    23. @Nmunro
    24. @Mongle Cracking skullz and splittin' DR650 heads. :deal
    25. (Mongle +1)
    26. @espi
    27. @Nobade
    28. @Todd157k
    29. (Todd157k+1)
    30. (Todd157k+another 1)
    31. @drmiller100
    32. @dan_e
    33. @motorcyclenomad
    34. @Fishnbiker
    35. (Fishnbiker +1)
    36. @SlowerThanYou
    37. @backcountrymedic
    38. @Donniejoe
    39. @PR61
    40. (PR61 +1)
    41. @Terek
    42. @BergDonk Easy Bonus Cross-continental Loop
    43. @Daltanian
    44. @wiley coyote Daltanian's ride.
    45. @Sfcootz Pants optional.
    46. @pontoon
    47. @qartis
    48. @ER70S-2 Image Yoda (sans the big ears)
    49. @amp333
    50. @TrophyHunter
    51. @sandwash
    52. ...

Attendee map: (now wth more kangaroo bell)

[​IMG]

Map Link
    Terek, psmcd, joefromsf and 8 others like this.
  3. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    joenuclear, procycle and cyberdos like this.
  4. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    BergDonk likes this.
  5. freewheelin'

freewheelin' Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I must have made the cut too.
    NC Rick likes this.
  6. Ride Now

Ride Now Graybeard

Oddometer:
    So, I'm guessing, no bonus loops? :lol3
  7. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bonus loops might require a lawyer and a separate signed waiver. :D
    Ride Now and BergDonk like this.
  8. DingWeed

DingWeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking Forward to a Great Rally!!

Thanks a Million to cyberdos and Lil Steve for putting all this together!!

See you in September!

Scott
  9. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Beaumont Paco

Beaumont Paco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested hope I can make this happen, pm sent.
  11. 306dad

306dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sooo wanna attend. Pretty far from indiana
  12. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in! There are a lot of people I look forward to meeting and riding with in this group. Big plus is the area to ride which can be viewed a bit differently than the typical, near Moab routes (that are also within reach.)
    One I'd like to revisit (if my :gerg skills feel up to the tougher stuff) is Hwy 211 to Beef Basin down Bobby's Hole up Devil's Lane over Elephant Hill through Squaw Flats and back out 211. This is full panorama riding with some sand and a few technical rock ledges and steeps. Indian ruins, places like Cathedral Butte, things like Hoodoos and Grabens, and more to see and feel. It would be a very ambitious, early start loop requiring 4 gallons + of fuel and 2 of water along with the weather not having done anything ugly to Bobby's Hole. Even so, an out and back no further than the Hole is a ride to consider by everyone with most of it being gravel/dirt and turnaround where ever the sand might demand. I'm excited, the maps are out and google's making my computer scream for more memory. Lockhart basin, Dark Canyon Plateau, the LaSals - so much country to see!

I'm sure Scott at Hideaway will have all the info on gas availability but I intend to show up with reserve gas cans in the truck as well. Back in the day you always had to confirm if Needles Outpost was open but it looks like it is these days. https://needlesoutpost.com/ Rides out 211 from the Hideaway might warrant a trip to the Outpost to top off then return to whatever route north or south of 211.
    cyberdos, Lil' Steve and yehaaa6 like this.
  13. colberoni

colberoni Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When is your cut off? I have one other big trip in September (and by big trip, I mean im walking down the isle a week later :rofl), but this sounds like a fantastic trip! As long as funds aren't too tight, I'll definitely be attending!
    cyberdos, yehaaa6 and Lil' Steve like this.
  14. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    The cutoff "date" will be determined by the number of people attending. When a few of us were talking among ourselves about this our estimated numbers where all over the place. Being just a few days into it with all this time to go, already having as many sign-ups as we have I think that my low attendance prediction may be in jeopardy! :D

@psmcd -
    You know I'm game for an easy bonus loop, bbf , back by noon! :ricky Surely one of the days needs to be a ''let's see what these bikes can do" day and I'll be happy to lead that route.

Scott does have gas on site. He can provide the details of how much and how to go about purchasing that.
    procycle likes this.
  15. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    IMO, the best thing to do for people that are coming from far away is to buddy up. Long, long time ago I used to be one of those guys that had something to prove so I wanted to ride everywhere. Trailers are for Harleys, ya know? :rolleyes But the reality is that it's so much nicer when you can drive there with one or more buds and split expenses and drive time. Throw the bikes in the back of the trailer/truck and just do it.

:beer
  16. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    Even if 3 Step Hideaway fills to capacity there is still lodging in Moab and camping opportunities in the area.

I say if 3 Step is full that's all the more reason to figure out how to show up and socialize with a huge number of DR650 riders! :freaky
  17. colberoni

colberoni Adventurer

Oddometer:

True that! I don't know if I can pass up on an opportunity to hang out with a bunch of guys who also ride big ol' pigs :jkam
    Ocala mike and yehaaa6 like this.
  18. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    :nod

I think something like that would be pretty freakin' cool. Have a bunch of DR650's invade the area and have people cris-crossing each other out on the trail. :D

The riding will be great, this I know. But most importantly this is a chance for people that have "known" each other for years on the internet to actually have a little bit of face time.
    drmiller100, zookster and yehaaa6 like this.
  19. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    With some pokin around on air b and b it's possible a trailer could be found to be landed near the Hideaway even with provisions and gas. People do anything for money and camping is legal on BLM land many places so if it exceeds the Hideaway overflow I bet folks could still camp close and get in on the campfires.

20. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:

:thumb :thumb :thumb

i'm still day dreaming about it.

i see pets are listed as ok..
    But no mention of Australians.. :lol3:lol3:lol3
    hmmm..:D