DR650 Rally - LaSal, Utah - Sept. 5-8

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by cyberdos, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    A friend with a Harley wants to come along, says he can bring some extra beer ...

[​IMG]
  2. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Late to the game here, so I inquired about the cabins. The only one left is the Family Cabin. I asked Scott to pencil me in so I can see if anyone wants to share it. I have camping stuff, but prefer not to.

Anyway, it has a separate bedroom - which I'd like (my sleep patterns suck), a bunk bed and futon in the open living area. Bathroom, kitchen, etc.

Scroll through the pics. https://3stephideaway.com/accommodations/

From Scott:
    The price on that per night for 1 person is $110.00. If you have a friend or 2 that want to share it with you, the price per person goes down. 2-guys price is $85.00 ea and 3-guys is $72.00ea and 4-guys is $65.00 ea. You can take 20% off as well from the cabin price for the Rally dates.

So - any takers? @Fishnbiker - maybe a good option for you and your son? If I get the cabin, the kitchen will be open to him either way for accommodating his diet. My wife and 2 granddaughters struggle with that, so I get it.

Plus, 2 Ken's in one place - what could go wrong?
  3. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd intended to sleep in my van for the rally, but if you get no takers I wouldn't mind ponying up for a spot in the cabin.
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  4. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for thinking of us. My son & I will be bringing a truck camper with kitchen though. Towing up to 4 bikes. My concern was about the food contamination with gluten & whether J-min could opt out of meals & their cost.. All now seems resolved. He will still bring his own bread & beer.
    TrophyHunter likes this.
  5. TrophyHunter

Oddometer:
    Done. I'll email Scott with the confirmation.

OUTSIDE SPOON...!!!! :rogue
    Lil' Steve likes this.
  6. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Dibs on your spot in the van!
    Fishnbiker, wee-twin and Reddog* like this.
  7. TrophyHunter

Oddometer:
    @Lil' Steve

We are confirmed for the Family Cabin. :clap:beer

I'm sure I'll ride a bit, but also good with being partial camp host/house mouse/resident idiot.

Lookin' forward to it.

I'll probably bring my 10x10 tent, cots, pads etc in case some folks run into limitations and need room.
    drmiller100, Lil' Steve and Nobade like this.
  8. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome!

Yes, I'm thinking along the same lines. I will absolutely offer to help out at camp, this might get tough to manage for just Scott and Julie. I almost always bring more than what I think is needed.
    Fishnbiker, wee-twin and TrophyHunter like this.
  9. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Almost always? :lol3

How did 'almost' make it into that sentence?

I'm thinking about hanging out more than actually riding too. Of course that's what I say now but then I get there and I'm out!
    drmiller100, procycle and Reddog* like this.
  10. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    So what do we flatlanders need to arrive with, permit-wise? For CO last year it was just the one sticker for everything, as long as we were plated - what should we have before arrival for UT?
    Also, any tips to ensure White Rim access? That’s a limited number per day/per group, right?
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  11. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Also, how many differing types of rides do we expect? My preference ranges towards easier to mid range difficulty with lot of scenery. Broken bones have tended to slow me down a bit. Not really into "Bonus Loops" although my son might be.
    yehaaa6 and Buckee like this.
  12. TrophyHunter

Oddometer:
    Reading through and wandering around the 'net a bit, the variety seems endless. While tracks and maps of the area will be available, folks are on their own for where they want to go. I'm in your riding class - easy to mid - scenery. Don't miss the sights just to cover miles. Breathe, hydrate and trail snacks.

I'll do more research over the next few months and get a "I'd like to see/do that" flexible list together. I'm guessing small groups will form up and hit it. Herding cats - I led a day ride locally and 30 people showed up - is doable but not my preference.

I can hold my own but choose not to. A casual, no broken things, is more my (lack of) speed.
    drmiller100, BergDonk, Buckee and 3 others like this.
  13. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:

My kind of riding ...

https://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/Motorcycle-Travel

https://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/Motorcycle-Travel/2012-BC-Big-Adventure-Traily/i-mtxrw2t

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    :thumb All aboard with that!
    Fishnbiker and TrophyHunter like this.
  15. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    A free permit is required to ride the White Rim Trail. You can request it on-line but only 24 hours prior to the ride:

https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/whiterimroad.htm

To ride the Sand Flats area where Slick Rock and many other fantastic trails are you'll have to pay a whopping 2 bucks:

https://www.blm.gov/visit/search-details/2160/2

I haven't heard of any other permits needed to ride any other trials in the area. Arches and Canyonlands are the regular National Parks entrance fees. I support the national parks each year by purchasing an annual pass.
    drmiller100 and wee-twin like this.
  16. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    As far as rides go, as stated previously everyone is on their own to plan their own ride. I have listed a few resources in the original post and will continue to update those links as I see find them. Being that I've only been to the area a handful of times I wouldn't feel comfortable putting together routes and distributing them to you all without having actually ridden them. From speaking to @TaZ9 who just came back from the Rendezvous Rally there he tells me that there is a wide gamma of stuff to ride and like @TrophyHunter posted, once we get there we'll gravitate to whomever like-minded riding groups that will be heading out. I will probably be putting together at least one 'tough guy ride' (a term used by GPSKevin which I like :) ) which, if there's enough interest, will probably need to be broken up into a few groups. Large groups for that sort of riding is a bit complicated.

Taking a page out of the Pahrump Rally I like the idea of putting up a white board and having people sign up to different rides. If you are one of those that are good at route planning and have something in mind, put your name up on the board the day prior with a group size limit and an estimated type of terrain/mileage etc that your ride consists of. That way, other riders can sign up to your ride. It worked pretty good at Pahrump so we could give that a shot.
  17. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    We could make the van "extra curricular activities" bus. A can to throw a dollar in and a bag of wet wipes and it's off and running.

:lol3

:hide
  18. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Respectfully, there will be a group of that everyone wants to ride with. And there will be a few people willing to lead rides, with no idea where to go.
    As you hinted, we can stagger the "same ride" over 2 or three leaders over delayed start times. My recommendation is 10 people max per group.

Also, Pahrump that weekend you were there was informative. Some of us have big egos, and we get to riding over our heads trying to keep up. The worst possible thing would be someone gets hurt trying to keep up.

I'm willing to lead a ride with 10 or so, but I'll need some help with route. I'm comfotrable leading a safe ride, but I've never been "there." How can you help me be successful?

Smiles and thank you.
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  19. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    100 miles? sounds easy.
    is that a realistic ride for a day from base camp? easybonusloop, expert, moderate or easy?
  20. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    WRT would be quite doable as a day trip from La Sal. Its moderate at its worst spot. Easy ride for the rest of it. Most dangerous aspect is running off the road while looking around!
    Fishnbiker likes this.