DR650 Rally - LaSal, Utah - Sept. 5-8

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by cyberdos, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    Likely same here, 2,150 km straight line from my house. The last ride that direction took us 5 days, 3,100 km just to get to Salt Lake City, some 7,000 round trip. Definitely would want a street tire set up if riding that far again if not trailering.
  2. drhippie2

drhippie2 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I have done both trailered and ridden the 1.300 miles, Had tires drop shipped to a riding buddy's place in Grand Junction Co.
    the last time I rode out there ..
    Worked out great

Well .. the tire part did .

Speaking of buddy
    Sept 2016 WRT he got a vary Expensive helicopter ride.. had a 3 MPH tip over..
    Radial fracture tibia and fib....

He flies away safe and well taken care of ...

leaving me there .. 69 miles for Moab
    By myself, 30 min before dark..
    Asking myself
    Do I ride out ?
    Do I spend the night ?

The rest of the story best told next to the camp fire at 3-stephideaway..

That area is beautiful ,magical and spiritual place ..can't wait to get back out there !!

One's
    MIND
    BODY
    and BIKE
    needs to be in good working order,
    To travel in that area,
    it is A very unforgiving area..

Whats the difference between a disaster and Adventure..... SAY it with me Attitude...!!!

I had to remind myself of that a lot that day. .days....
    JagLite, NC Rick, BergDonk and 2 others like this.
  3. Donniejoe

Donniejoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’d love to go if I can get the time off work. 1125 Miles from West Central Arkansas. I 40 to Albuquerque, then 550 NW. If I go, I’ll trailer. 2 day’s drive both ways for an old guy. May pick up a friend in Colorado Springs.

I use a CPAP machine so I’ve got to make sure I can get power. Anyone else got this issue?
  4. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    @Lil' Steve to the courtesy phone.

I believe he used my old blazer's battery to run his CPAP for the 3 days that we were in Moab a few years ago without issue.
  5. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just scouting Kane Creek as a CD "easy bonus loop" at the end of a Lockhart Basin loop from 211 going north and discovered a RideFreak caveat. Must go south to north (downstream) for the ledge. So now it could tack on to a north on the east side of the LaSals (lots of little loops on that side), over the pass and down 0073 or 0071 to 191 then down Kane Creek to Moab. Return down 191 or? I figure if RF runs Kane Creek in an hour we should plan a good 3hrs for a group of DRs.:D
    [​IMG]
    Don Bus
    1 year ago Road Kane Creek a couple years ago from north to south and remember an 6-8 foot ledge which would be about 1/4 of the way into your video. Did you find a go around? Didn't notice it in your video.

[​IMG]
    RIDEFREAKTV
    1 year ago
    Don, I hit the same ledge and turned around first time I rode Kane Cr. on a XR650R. This time we went south to North, preferable to me, easy cruise at the end and it drops you right into town. The ledge is a non issue going that dir.

[​IMG]
    Moto Bandito
    2 months ago
    I agree north to south is harder dr350 crushed those ledges last week, good fun.

RideFreak's ride reports are worth the read and he would be a good resource for ride plans.
    JagLite and drhippie2 like this.
  6. Donniejoe

Donniejoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking I could use the 12 volt from my Toyota Tundra and just start it up and let it run a bit every day. A set of jumper cables would ensure I could get back on the road. They sell a battery set up for $300 that will run it for a night. That’s about $100 a night and I’d have to recharge it every day.

I think I’ll plan on sleeping the the pickup bed and use the canvas bed cover like a tent. The bed is only 5’6” and I’m 6’ so I’ll drop the tailgate. It’s a double cab truck so I can just hop in the cab if it rains and sleep in the back seat.

7. Nobade

Nobade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That stuff looks like it would be so much fun on the trials bike. If I could figure out how to carry it on the back of the DR I'd be set!
    JagLite and NC Rick like this.
  8. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I see what you're trying to do...instigator.

Kane Creek up and Pritchett Canyon back, right? :deal

Perspective...Steel bender trail was rated 6. Kane Creek, 7.....Pritchett is a 9.

I'm game. :evil
    NC Rick and procycle like this.
  9. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait a minute. If SteelBender was 6 then my limit is 5:amazon. I got carried away arm chairing.:grim Where do you find these ratings?

Edit: Ledge picture found. RideFreak prefers going down this on a KTM to up on an XR650R
    [​IMG]

JagLite likes this.
  10. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also use a CPAP machine. I bought a cigarette lighter adapter (I believe it was less than $30) for my machine and it worked fine as cyberdos mentioned above. Each morning the vehicle started without any issue.

I plan on using my van as a tent for this trip, and will use 12v to power my CPAP. I have a spare vehicle battery I can bring along as a just in case if needed if you want to tent camp and you can get a 12v adapter for your machine.
  11. Donniejoe

Donniejoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good plan. I’ve been watching videos tonight. Getting excited about the possibilities. Desert riding is a bit different from the Ozarks. I’ll find some places to practice with loose sand and big ol’ rocks.
  12. Lil' Steve

Oddometer:
    The riding out here is so different than what I was used to back east, the scenery can change drastically within a few hours. If you haven't already seen our ride report from last year, and where the seed was planted for this rally, check it out here...
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/1-2-miles-to-moab.1342846/
    procycle likes this.
  13. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    And @Lil' Steve sets the hook...
    Mongle, drhippie2 and cyberdos like this.
  14. Lil' Steve

Oddometer:
    :evil
    NC Rick likes this.
  15. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Damn, this falls the week after I plan to retire. What to do...
    NC Rick, wee-twin, yehaaa6 and 2 others like this.
  16. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Not retire?
    NC Rick likes this.
  17. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whadya mean? He's supposed to start getting ready now to be prepared for the perfect retirement celebration trip. :clap

wee-twin, BergDonk and Buckee like this.
  18. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Permit requirements have changed since I was last in Canyonlands so this is worth a separate post. Most of the riding we'll do will not be in national parks but this warrants attention.
    National Park entry and permit requirements:
    Anyone wanting to ride down Bobby's Hole or over Elephant Hill and out into the Needles District needs a day use permit ($25 + your park entry pass - (don't forget your annual or lifetime pass)). Only available up to 24hrs in advance and limited to groups of 3 traveling together, affiliated groups to travel 30 minutes apart. Total day use permits limited to 24 (jeeps, motorcycles & bicycles.)
    https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/dayusepermits.htm
    https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/fees.htm
  19. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Rick has a good 4x4 book that we used which has good ratings. More accurate, IMO, than the stuff I've found online. I used this website last year and it was ok: https://www.rr4w.com/Trails-Home.cfm

Of course there's always the caveat that those ratings are based on 4x4 vehicles but it gives you some idea of what you'll encounter.
  20. Donniejoe

Donniejoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This fish has fully taken the bait. I’ve spent the day reading last year’s ride report. This will be an epic event.
    NC Rick, Fishnbiker, psmcd and 4 others like this.