DR650 Rally - LaSal, Utah - Sept. 5-8

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by cyberdos, Jan 4, 2019.

1. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    hmmmmm. respectfully if it needed backing off, the bearings need cleaned and regreased.
  2. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    \\

Well, Duh.
    JagLite likes this.
  3. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When we had his forks off, we dropped the triples and greased the clean bearings. Consensus in the shop was - and a full explanation added by my retired engineer father (with some name for what happened that I forget) - was with it too tight, it caused the problem. The tension actually cause the bars to stop if pushed from one side to the other with the bike suspended.

I dunno enough about the specifics to comment, really, just that loosening it slightly worked and there was no play fore/aft in the steering head. Some said the manual even states to back it off after torquing but I haven't gone through the manual yet. It's been a busy week and I haven't even unpacked the back of my truck. :-)

Appreciate the discussion, Doug. :beer
  4. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XC-W DR650 T1050SE

Oddometer:
    Doug,

At what mileage should I do the Doohickey on my bike?
    yehaaa6, JagLite and Hivernaut like this.
  5. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    We got back last night. Ran a bit late. We had a run in with the cops again. This time it was in Tennessee (the great state of) and it was quite a different interaction than with the Illinois jerks. These guys made sure we were safe, and even drove us back and forth to The auto parts store and Macdonald’s under less than ideal conditions. Super nice, super professional and their actions make me want to find a way to thank them for the help and safety they provided. I am proud to have people like that working for us (we the people).
  6. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had my police encounter last night...I was home only one day from the rally and my 88 yr old mom fell in the assisted living- so I had to go tearing off into the 200 mile drive to ATL. She'll be ok- no real physical damage found.

So when I overnight in ATL I sleep in the van in the assisted living parking lot, have done it many times.
    Dead asleep when all of a sudden I'm awaked by the van interior lit up like the sun was inside with me, followed by a tapping on the window.

Apparently some new staff didn't know about my stealth camping in their parking lot and had called the cops.:D

Got it smoothed over quickly and had a nice chat with the young, very professional and polite policeman. Wish I recalled his name but he was definitely a credit to the Dekalb County GA Police Dept. Those guys don't get near enough praise.
  7. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you are referring to the neutral safety switch screws. In 2016 or something the factory used loctite?

Before that, I think they ALL need the screws removed, loctited and retightened. Many guys safety wire them also but I didn't.
    EastBoundAndDown and JagLite like this.
  8. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    He is referring to a KLR, near as bad as a damn KTM.
  9. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Smiles....... Friendly discussion. My bike the top nut kept coming loose. So I tightened the hell out of it and it locked the handlebars.
    In unrelated news, I am new to asphalt, and pretty uncomfortable on it. Any thing above about 60 mph and I get scared. I've never ridden any other bike on asphalt, and almost no miles on dirt so I don't know what "normal" is.
    Eventually with some help from this thread I took the steering head apart, and there were hardened grease notches on the bearings. I cleaned that up and now I'm comfortable over 70.

In more unrelated news, I was riding La Sal loop with Eastbound, and got really uncomfortable and anxious in the sweepers on the asphalt. He thought the road was awesome. THe next morning in camp Eastbound pointed out my front wheel bearings are really loose.

There is a trend here but I'm not seeing it.
  10. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Your good. In my experience with tapered bearings, it is normal to spec a torque and then back off by a specific amount of degrees. Too tight is too much friction and causes handling problems as experienced. At the end of the day, the steering bearings are in a super low to no speed situation and loose enough to turn freely is all that really matters. I find that they can not be run as loose as automotive wheel bearings as an example because there is no heat build up and having play can increase the point-loading, leading to dents or fretting corrosion. Those bearings you guys did will be fine for a long time after we tweaked them. @BergDonk knows a lot about that stuff.

One thing to note is that the steering stem top nut takes up every bit of the thread clearance of the adjuster ring so the setting will be a little loose before tightening that. @ER70S-2 demonstrated the “feel” method of checking which I think is excellent as a practical method but something you almost need to see to learn. Just like wheel bearings in a car, tighten too much (by some) and back off is a way to seat and squish out the grease. Do not use that method to push in races as bearing damage is probably going to happen from that amount of force.
  11. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found someone ready to lead @cyberdos for a "bonus loop" adventure

97707 likes this.
  12. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    5:16 or so is the "action" if in a hurry....:yikes
  13. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Yikes! I’m terrified of such places. I often fall unexpectedly and just a small one could cause a lot of undesirable issues. I would not ride that. I don’t have enough skill or confidence.
    drhippie2, JagLite and yehaaa6 like this.
  14. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] Lil' Steve does not like this.
  15. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Huh.
    I didn't know that threads get moved...
    No wonder I can't find things.
    Thanks for letting us know!
    Hivernaut and ER70S-2 like this.
  16. 97707

97707 Go Long

Oddometer:
    Wo.

17. Reddog*

Reddog* Meh...

Oddometer:
    Blue Mule, MikeFromMT and JagLite like this.
  18. waterman28

waterman28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So does the KTM need the doohickey thing upgrade or does it need the nsu bolts glued and wired into place?
    Hivernaut and NC Rick like this.
  19. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
  20. NC Rick

Oddometer:
    Not sure, I have been too busy checking the valves.
    waterman28 and ER70S-2 like this.