DR650 Rally - LaSal, Utah - Sept. 5-8

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by cyberdos, Jan 4, 2019.

1. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    I agree that the discussion should be moved to the thread that started this all! Thank you all.
    JagLite and Hivernaut like this.
  2. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    JagLite and NC Rick like this.
  3. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Mary & I had a blast and made some great new friends from the left coast & all over (& down under too). Thanks to Julio, Scott, Julie , Tim & everyone who made this happen. Each morning was a new adventure and the nights were hilarious, everything we expected from this great clan of misfits. Taking Mary down the Schafer switchbacks in the big pickup was terrifying - you absolutely lose all sight of the trail over the hood on the tight turns.

After La Sal we hit Idaho, camped in Teton NF (34 degrees) and Yellowstone, had a snowball fight yesterday in Bighorn National Forest and spent last night in Teddy Roosevelt’s room in Buffalo WY. Mt. Rushmore today then slabbed it hard all the way to Sioux Falls - or almost. I-90 is closed for miles due to flooding, so we spent hours rerouting through farm road after oil road only to find another washout in the dark. It’s now after midnight and we just checked in. To Green Bay tomorrow for the Sunday game.

Pics when we get home. Thanks again everybody - be safe!
  4. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    Bringing the bike down for you was easy peasy. The best part for me was being able to help you & meet Jeff's staff, Mike in particular. I got sucked into buying more farkles on returning the bike & enjoyed a tour of the shop.

Saturday morning & I still have another day to get home. Did 2 days in Moab at Sand Flats. Did some slick rocks & loose sand with JimfromSF & Eastboundanddown. A huge thanks to them & son J-min for helping to sort a flooded airbox after a deep sand get off that stuck my carb float.

Tuesday saw ustouring Arches Natl. Park before going west across Hwy 50, the "Loneliest Road in America" Up to 119 miles between gas stops in place. Sagebrush , dried mud, & sand A splendid desolation. First night out in Ely, NV waiting to get new trailer tires after a separation issue. Several passes over 7,000 ft to get into northern California at Alturas. A quick blast across OR got us to a state parkon the ocean nearTillamook. Crossed the border late last night to stay with son Jeff in North Vancouver. Off today to Vancouver to pick up some East Indian sweets for the wife, then home tomorrow.

The main camera tanked from too much dust, so no photos until I get the card into the computer in a couple of days
    Best bike trip in years! Thanks to you all for being part of it.
  5. Hivernaut

Hivernaut Enthusiastic NewBie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maintenance and storage aren't free.
    and nobody wants to pay.
  6. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still not home,one more days ride.450 miles.
    Dick Handy, JagLite, yehaaa6 and 11 others like this.
  7. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Bob :wave :freaky
    yehaaa6, DR790 and Mongle like this.
  8. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    It was great meeting you and I enjoyed your tales of motorcycle adventure!
    yehaaa6, psmcd, DR790 and 2 others like this.
  9. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:
    And the accent!
    NC Rick, Blue Mule, Mongle and 3 others like this.
  10. drhippie2

drhippie2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Made it home :clap..10:30 sat night .. 3914 miles :ricky. It was great meeting every one ,had a awesome good time ..:happay
    :wave hope to see ya all again ....
    JagLite, yehaaa6, psmcd and 13 others like this.
  11. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What accent?You guys have the accent.Even Bergdonk.
    Yes that was a great event alright.It was nice to be a member of the first DR meet.
    NC Rick, JagLite, yehaaa6 and 10 others like this.
  12. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Who’da thunk you could meet someone at La Sal Utah who would offer a free parking spot and ride to Lambeau Field in Green Bay Wisconsin a week later? Thanks @Blue Mule :beer and Go Packers!
    NC Rick, Reddog*, Fishnbiker and 5 others like this.
  13. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    And also meet that guy Heywood.

@amp333
    Buckee likes this.
  14. KHookStoner

KHookStoner n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey you DR_Hippie. Thanks for inviting me along to meet up in Utah with the other crazies you've been following. Epic scenery all around. Good times.
    Even the flat tire was no problem when riding with the pros. Watch out for those damn carpenter nails.....
    Until we ride again or hang out in the Ol' shop at Lonsum Acres. Keep on Truckin' ! ChrisD
    IMG_0650.JPG
    yehaaa6, drhippie2, JagLite and 6 others like this.
  15. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:
    wee-twin, NC Rick, yehaaa6 and 9 others like this.
  16. procycle

procycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center of the DualSport Adventure universe
    +1
    yehaaa6 likes this.
  17. freewheelin'

freewheelin' Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +2
  18. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    That was unexpected and very welcome. IMO those little details are what make these events great. Rather than sitting back and expecting stuff to be provided, bring something to the table instead. Whether it be stuff, food, beer, stories, help etc. Things always are better when everyone chips in with something unique.
  19. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought I was the only one to bring a folding personal sun shade... :beer
    It was a bit warm. :knary
  20. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode into my place last night just before dark.Put on just over 8200 kms.18 days total,1 day I didn't ride,visited a friend and it poured all day.Lucky for me I wasn't camping.Only had my raingear on for two days the whole ride.
    On my way through Idaho I was looking for a place to camp the night and saw a campsite along the Salmon River as I went ripping by.Turned around and found a perfect spot by the river.I was just unpacking my bike to set up my tent and this guy with a jeep camped nearby called over to me"suppers ready".How cool is that.He was making supper and saw me ride in so threw on some extras for me.Had a beer with him and watched the full moon rise.In the morning 15 elk crossed the river and climbed the hillside opposite the camp.
    I don't think I was on an interstate highway for more than a hundred miles total.A bit of divided highway going around or through some city that couldn't be avoided.Lots of twisty narrow 2 lane roads on the route I chose or somebody I met along the way suggested.The scenery was first class all the way.
    Thanks too all those who showed up and the ones responsible for making it happen.I was nice to see and talk to those rather than just an internet handle.For those that are riding through my area,I have lots of tent space and are welcome to stop by for a meal and a shower.