DR650 Rally - LaSal, Utah - Sept. 5-8

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by cyberdos, Jan 4, 2019.

1. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    OK, before this gets a little bit out of hand I feel I need to intervene. Hopefully nobody takes offense to any of it as that is certainly not my intention and as this thread grows old I'm certain there will be many more interactions like these. For inmates who are deeply vested in the DR650 thread none of what I say here will be new but to those who are either peripherally involved or none at all I feel that it will be important to share this bit of info...

As I stated in the initial post, a lot of us in that thread have known each other for years. We do joke around with each other a lot and over time have learned to deal with each others idiosyncrasies without much bother. It's hard to get along with everyone on the internet and I feel one of the biggest strong suites of this group is that we put in the extra effort to actually get along. In my opinion the biggest reason is because we seldomly discuss politics or religion. Whenever it comes up it is either quickly dismissed or the door is respectfully shut on it by the regulars. Respect between one another is also a big key and I believe it is the glue that holds everything together. That is not to say that we have not had our spats among ourselves but for the most part we all try very hard to squash grievances.

That being said, when you throw in 'outsiders' the level of cohesion can be disturbed. We typically take pride in the fact that when a n00b comes into the thread and asks a 'dumb n00b question' that we simply provide the info without resorting to answering with things such as "use the search button" or "this has been discussed a thousand times". To me, that shows the type of character that hangs out in the thread and is a willing part of the community. It's what separates us from others. So let's continue on with that tradition of hospitality as we open up our circle to inmates that may not have these insights into who we are. I'd also ask people that are not familiar with the core group of folks here to know that any ribbing and/or flagellation that you receive by the members here is in no way directed with malintent. At least not until we really know you. :deal :lol3

A few good questions have been asked and I have not stepped up to answer them and for that I do apologize. Although I have previously stated that I have nothing to do with the logistics of room and board, I do have a responsibility to answer questions here as best of my ability. Scott does not check in often so it makes this a little more difficult but there is still plenty of time to have questions answered and inform everyone on what to expect and how to prepare. Trust me, being a proud cheapass I am fully aware that the cost is a bit high for this sort of rally which contributes to the inquiries of separating meals and stay. Knowing Scott I can only assume that the cost was calculated to make sure that he can provide, with the resources he has available, a space that is suitable for all involved and everyone leaves happy. So please continue to post up your questions. I may not have immediate answers but I'll try to corral them all and talk them over with Scott to see where we can, or can't, work things out.
  2. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I'll be working on some loops. The Caltopo links that I post are all downloadable tracks. I suggest not downloading them just yet though as I'm constantly tweaking them as I get more solid information. The problem I will have is that with the limited ride time that I have in the area, the accuracy of the trail ratings will be tricky. And history will tell ya that I tend to sniff out more undesirable tracks (depending on your perspective :wink: ) than most.
  3. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
  4. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind, I'm your GPS.

Why does this thing keep recalculating though Steel Bender?

:dunno
    NC Rick and zookster like this.
  5. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    I get that, having put so many strange foods down my gullet from worldwide. Even I find it confusing at times. Label reading is almost fully ingrained on me now.

My son however got Mommy's bad gene & needs to be really carefull or he would be going through a roll of TP daily. Seems to me the easiest option would be to have a meal opt out with reduction, everyone else gets a full service chit for additional cost. Many other meets seem to have that well set up already. Are the hosts willing to be flexible or will we have to just find a place to park the camper nearby for free?

As it is he would need to pay full price to NOT eat with us, then cook his own meals in the camper. That sucks twice over.
  6. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    That's fine, I can survive quite nicely on wine & brandy.
    NC Rick likes this.
  7. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:

Here I was giving an example of how the DR650 Thread crowd mess with each other. Guess that didn't quite come across the way I intended.

I'll just go mount a tire now. :pep

The punishment was meant for Rick, but who am I kidding, I'll share a beer with anyone. Even cyberdos. :D
    NC Rick and Fishnbiker like this.
  8. SlowerThanYou

SlowerThanYou In the eye

Oddometer:
    Soooo, no bunched panties allowed?

:hide
    NC Rick, Fishnbiker and cyberdos like this.
  9. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    @Fishnbiker , pretty sure we'd all go way out of our way to make sure you enjoy the hell out of this event with your son. It'll work out fine, trust your brothers in here.
  10. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Working on new ideas to keep it together. Should work out eventually so we can have some FUN !
    Nogoodnamesleft and Lil' Steve like this.
  11. Reddog*

Reddog* Meh...

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    Laconic likes this.
  12. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I spoke to Scott and I'll relay some additional info here.

The pricing is still 225 per person and will include everything in the first post. He says that due to past experiences with organizing these events that it's tough for him to separate costs. It's just easier to have a 'one ticket gets you in and then you enjoy everything' approach than it is to organize things in tiers. Simplicity is what it really is all about at the 3 Step.

The menu will be Cowboy food. Whatever he can throw on the grill. Steaks, Hamburgers, Chicken, potatoes and salad. Breakfast will have eggs and toast and whatever can be scrounged up. Again, simple stuff. I will be bringing my percolator and lots of Bustelo coffee as I am a coffee junkie and cannot start my morning without it. Will also be bringing a generator to not tax Scott's resources. If you want to bring your own coffee maker and coffee, we will spare a few plugs.

There is gas at the 3 Step which Scott tries to keep at prices comparable to the area. Gas is scarce so it's good to know that he will have some for us if needed. There is a general store 22 miles North which carries gas at the tiny town of La Sal. It is only open during normal operating hours which I believe to be 9 to 6. 48 miles Northwest, Moab has plenty of places with gas. Monticello at 33 miles Southwest if you're headed over toward Monument Valley.

That's it for now...
    TaZ9, Nobade, drhippie2 and 5 others like this.
  13. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:

Add Fishnbiker & son J-min
  14. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  15. SlowerThanYou

SlowerThanYou In the eye

Oddometer:
    I'd like to get in if there's room.
    NC Rick, psmcd, Lil' Steve and 2 others like this.
  16. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been going out to 3-Step Hideaway even before Scott and Julie had the place up and running. They are wonderful people who have put lots of love and hard work into a place that is truly unique to the sport of adventure motorcycling. I continue to go out every year, and plan to attend the upcoming Desert Rendezvous in April, and the DR650 Rally in September. I have never failed to have a great time at 3-Step. As others have said, there are so many trails and such amazing scenery, you cannot possibly experience it all in one visit. The atmosphere is all about exploring beautiful wide open spaces, eating someone elses trail dust, developing new friendships over some fantastic meals, and laughing your ass off at the campfire get-togethers at night. All I can say is you have to experience it to understand. Life is about making amazing memories. Hope to see you there!
    Ride safe,
    Taz9
    Ron with Ed March and Rach Lasham.JPG
    Here I am with Ed March and Rach Lasham, Honda 90 world travelers on their journey through the Americas. That's DR Rock's (Mobius Trip) DRZ400 on the right. You never know who's going to drop in at 3-Step!!
  17. Mongle

Mongle Knuckle dragger

Oddometer:
    Do I have to pay extra for the flagellation, or is it included?
  18. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Then I’d have to be out :-)
  19. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    Oh, you KNOW that’s included, always.
  20. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My scooter is setup for 91 octane with an HC piston and a really lean needle. I'm ASSUMING they won't have 91 octane there. I'll probably bring some av gas or race gas or something, and mix a little in with the gas I'm buying there.