DR650 Rally - LaSal, Utah - Sept. 5-8

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by cyberdos, Jan 4, 2019.

1. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might try a thong. No pics please.
    SlowerThanYou and Fishnbiker like this.
  2. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My buddy Thad has a 790, isn't on this site, and is a Probable. He's an old Yamaha flat track racer, and will fit right in.
  3. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Let me know if he decides for certain and I'll add him to the list.
    drmiller100 likes this.
  4. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XC-W DR650 T1050SE

Oddometer:
    Hmm. I am going to keep following this. My first riding trip out west is in the planning stages and will be around 5 weeks long but mostly road riding. This would be perfect to slot in the middle of my trip on my DR. I am a follower, not a download gps track type guy. I have a stock tank but securely mounting a 1gal on my rear rack should suffice, no?
  5. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should be able to do plenty of riding in the area with the range of the stock tank plus a gallon, you just might have to plan for more frequent fuel stops. The only ride that might be questionable on that amount of fuel is the White Rim Trail, no gas available on that route after leaving Moab. Hope to see you there!
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  6. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    Any idea of that ride distance? One I would like to do. I did get 400km / 250 miles per tank full on a 20L Acerbis, expecting that to drop a bit after a 790 kit install, no other changes so far.
  7. Lil' Steve

Oddometer:
    I'll let @cyberdos field that one, he should have all that info and I'd just be guessing.
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  8. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Can't remember who posted up that map thingy in the main thread, and I don't have the skills, but it might be a neat thing to start one in here. Would be cool to see where everybody's coming from. Just a thought.
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  9. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    The main WRT, Moab to Moab (depending on which way you head in, is 80-100 mile round trip. Gas is a non issue but you have to gas up at Moab because it's an additional 48 miles back to the 3 Step. It's just wise to gas up wherever an whenever you can.

This is a great idea. I'll get to work on it.
  10. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I updated the second post with a map link and image. Looking pretty good so far. :thumb
    psmcd likes this.
  11. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    Why not do it this way too?

Campbell River, Vancouver Island, British Columbia ...

[​IMG]
    psmcd likes this.
  12. Lil' Steve

Oddometer:
    That's pretty cool.

[​IMG]
    NCJ, SlowerThanYou, drhippie2 and 5 others like this.
  13. SlowerThanYou

SlowerThanYou In the eye

Oddometer:
    Interesting that North Carolina shows an inside picture of a motel room... @Mongle :photog

Capture.PNG
    Lil' Steve and cyberdos like this.
  14. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    And where is the closest emergency grog shop?
  15. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I highly doubt there is anything close by. Moab will probably be the best bet.
    yehaaa6 and Fishnbiker like this.
  16. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    So you understand what we're dealing with here. Take a good loot at Ana's General Store in 'downtown' La Sal:

link

That is the US Postal service and the heart of the town. Take a look around. Yep. That's the closest town. Did I mention that the 3 Step is in a remote area? :nod

Everything you'll need will be in Moab 48 miles away. Please remember this when arriving. Stock up on what you need before you get there.
    drmiller100 and joefromsf like this.
  17. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any recommendations for Trail Maps for the area, so I'm not dependent on following Cyberdos on his Easy Bonus Loops? ;-)
    drmiller100, Fishnbiker and BergDonk like this.
  18. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Ice machine on the side - I'm good to go.
    cyberdos and Fishnbiker like this.
  19. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I'll be working on some routing for different levels of riding but I can't promise anything. I typically research the crap out of the places that I will be riding and even then, the unpredictable can throw a wrench in to the best laid out plans. My level of easy may not be the same experience for someone else. That sort to of thing kind of keeps me up at night as I like to accommodate everyone for them to have a great time. I'm not putting any blame on anyone for that. It's just in my DNA so don't feel bad.

The way I research routes may not be for everyone but I'll give some guidance as to what I do here. I always like to start with getting national forest maps and simply typing in "best of..." into google. There is so much readily available online. You just have to put in a little effort to look for it.

For Moab we used a 4x4 book that NC Rick had last year which had excellent trail rating system. you'll probably find similar books like those in a lot of places for the Moab area. Similarly for Canyonlands.

CalTopo has been my go to mapping software for off roading. It has a lot of good layer overlays that you can switch between and the ability to import/export gpx tracks. I sniff out GPX tracks from the web so that I have verifiable tracks from people that have actually ridden these trails. That way I can make my own 'heat index' of places where people have gone. Similarly, you can select the Street View feature of googlemaps to see where there have been a large concentration of images taken. That will give you two data points. One, lots of people have taken the time to actually share those pics so you know they are usually good spots and two, where the crowds are. Typically when you see that there are a lot of pictures taken in one spot that means that it's relatively easy spot to get to. If it were a tough spot, you wouldn't see so many pics congregated there.

Local knowledge is unquestionably the best resource for tracking down the good stuff. To that, I'll be trying to get some info from Scott and Dave of the area. I don't know how easily I'll be able to do that with the slow connection but there is still plenty of time.

Lastly, lots of people just prefer to go out there and point the front tire in whatever direction looks good. There's certainly nothing wrong with that. Scott has plenty of maps of the area and I'm sure that once we're there the knowledge will flow pretty easily.
  20. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Not sure what help I could be with all that (from here on the right coast), but don't be bashful about asking.
    cyberdos likes this.