DR650 RMZ450 Fork swap

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by PlatinumCloud, Sep 8, 2015.

1. PlatinumCloud

PlatinumCloud ALL ELSE FAILS; MORE THROTTLE

Oddometer:
    ive done many mods to my mighty DR650 and it was the past trip to Bald Eagle state forest that led to me realizing that the front end needed some serious work. it was a full Racetech Upgrade to the original DR forks Or for about the same money get a more adjustable front end.

There was a thread that was once on line that was REALLY good, but thus the site link no longer works so i figured i would help people like me that wanted a good low down on what someone did to do the swap.
  2. PlatinumCloud

Oddometer:
    so i started doing my research and found that 05-07 RMZ450 forks were what i wanted. spring rate is .47kg/mm compared to the .4 of the Stock DR forks. once you take the stock DR forks off you realize there is NO valving to them and its literally just a pogo stick. Well i had been watching some forks on Craigslist for quite some time and decided to pull the trigger.

[​IMG]
    Benduro likes this.
  3. PlatinumCloud

Oddometer:
    The Bearings are the same size and all bolts up to the steering stem. i swapped my 7/8" bars over to the RMZ triples and all went super smooth. front caliper is the same and i already had my vapor so those were previous expenses that i didnt need at the moment. anyway, bout 2 hrs and im to this point.
    [​IMG]
  4. 250Keith

250Keith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in!!!
  5. PlatinumCloud

Oddometer:
    Next step was mounting the light. everyone says DRZ400SM light brackets. i was hesitant to pay for them but the are practically made for the swap. dealer cost is 32.00 a side and like 5 for the bushings. insert ebay here and about 4 days later were here.
    [​IMG]
  6. PlatinumCloud

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Brackets slide right on no issues, DR light bolts right in and shroud fits too (no pictured)

[​IMG]
  7. PlatinumCloud

Oddometer:
    While im in the midst of all of this there is the steering stop....i saw a couple of different methods online....most of which did not meet my approval. so i went looking at my ktm. It has a rather simple design with just a threaded tube and some bolts...so it got me thinking. here is my first mock up

[​IMG]

eh....not bad BUT not going on my bike as is. so i got to thinking and AH-HA! trip to tractor supply.

[​IMG]

its a 3/8" hex coupler and some bolts for the stops.....wasnt crazy about the standard part on a metric bike but i can live with it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  8. GypsyWriter

GypsyWriter Yup, I'm a girl.

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  9. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    X2

Looks good
  10. themosjohn

themosjohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good info for the DR riders out there

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  11. Greaslife

Greaslife Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not to jack your post I did a swap on mine and used 04-06 rm250 forks. The stem of the dr presses right into the tripple of the the rm. all the other parts of the dr were used. Speedo-brakes- and wheel. Made a huge difference you'll wish you did this mod the day you got your bike. Looking good tho.

Welcome too my world ,sit down have a beer and enjoy the ride.
  12. PlatinumCloud

Oddometer:
    Been busy the past week doing misc stuff and trying to get my axle bushing machined. Also have been doing some other thinking on parts that will be wrapped up in the future.

Here is the web site that got my Rmz fork info. http://www.tech-care.com/suzuki.php
    As Greaslife stated you can use RMZ250 forks, But the spring rate is lighter and from what i read the valving is slightly different to handle the extra weight of the 450.

Also i wanted to put out there that you can buy off ebay triple clamps made to accept the RMZ450 forks. this will allow you to use the stock bolt on stuff for the DR. It clean and simple but is going to cost you.
    [​IMG]
  13. PlatinumCloud

Oddometer:
    So moving down the forks. i believe i stated i wanted to use the DR650 Wheel. i have 2 sets so i didnt want to have to sell or buy a RMZ450 front. so i needed to use the DR axle.
    a Bushing is needed and you can re-use the DR axle by flipping it and inserting it from the right.

[​IMG]
    ill post up the Dims later as i dont have the paper in front of me. but here is the bushing i had made:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  14. PlatinumCloud

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  15. PlatinumCloud

Oddometer:
    moving back up i needed to get my dash done. also an ignition switch was a major question on what to use. you CANNOT reuse the DR650 Switch as the lock IS the bottom of the key....i took mine apart to find this out the hard way. after much research i opted to go with a new DRZ400 ignition. if i recall its the "sm" version. you need the one with 4 (FOUR) wires. and this is where things start to get a little more difficult.

when making your own key the one circuit that goes to the CDI box has a 100 ohm resistor that need to put in to get the motor to run. i also wanted to make the harness clean so opted to use the dr650 plug:

resistors needed:
    [​IMG]

DR plug layout:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. PlatinumCloud

Oddometer:
    i want to add here also, the harness on the drz IS NOT long enough so you will have to extend it to make it work.

the key you need and the cheapest i could find it:
    [​IMG]

a wiring diagram thats specifically for the ignition.
    [​IMG]

i DO NOT recommend doing this if you are not good with wiring or taking your time. i am used to doing this. remove the plug ends from the harness' and the dr pins and swap them over the the drz side:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  17. PlatinumCloud

Oddometer:
    i messed up and figured out the hard way that harness wasnt long enough, but you need to jump the cdi and and the resistor:
    [​IMG]

while i was at radioshack i also picked up this on/off switch for future lights:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  18. PlatinumCloud

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

complete harness:[​IMG]
  19. PlatinumCloud

Oddometer:
    bolt switch to bar clamp and your good to go. NOTE THE SWITCH CAN NOT GO ON THE RIGHT SIDE ON THIS SETUP AS THE BRAKE LINE WITH RIP IT OFF

[​IMG]
  20. PlatinumCloud

Oddometer:
    next was my vapor dash: NOTE AGAIN, I HAD TO SWAP THE VAPOR TO THE RIGHT AND THE KEY TO THE LEFT AS THE BRAKE LINE WILL NOT WORK CORRECTLY

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]