DR650 sputtering with throttle

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by gpops, Oct 26, 2020.

1. gpops

gpops n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all, I have a DR650 that wasn't starting, so I tested and replaced the battery. Then cleaned the spark plugs. Then I bought the stock carburetor rebuild kit from ProCycle and cleaned it well and replaced the o-rings and jets.

The bike starts great now. I rode it down the street and as I'm giving it a little throttle, it sputters and feels like it's going to die. But then it breaks through and rides a little jerky, but not awful. Shift into second gear and it just feels a little off. I have a feeling it's the fuel mixture screw. I read it should be 1.5 turns out and set it there. I have the California emissions still on the bike if that makes a difference.

Should I take the carb off again and turn the screw until it's 1.25 turns out? Or could this be something else?
  2. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I very much doubt 1/4t on the mixture screw would cause the symptoms you describe. I'd be more inclined to look at the pilot jet. I realize it's a new jet but I've seen them pick up crap right away or be blocked from new.
    gpops likes this.
  3. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    GPops-you’ll find tons of great advice over at the DR650 thread, including from Jeff, aka @procycle , who is very generous with his time and knowledge. You might consider posting there as well. It can be a bit much to keep up with that loquacious bunch, but they always chime in with mechanical advice when asked.
    gpops likes this.
  4. gpops

gpops n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the quick reply. I let the bike sit for a half hour and started it up again. Took it around town and it's riding fine now... weird. Glad I did the install correctly haha. I was worried I'd have to take it apart again like you suggested.

Good advice, I just started following that thread for the future. My problem went away after riding the bike a second time. Weird! Thanks for your reply.
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  5. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Glad it was something that simple :thumb